• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this just a Gen II Tavor? Other than the mag release and new trigger, I fail to see what makes this a "new" rifle.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this just a Gen II Tavor? Other than the mag release and new trigger, I fail to see what makes this a "new" rifle.

It essentially is a Gen II, but I think the changes are substantial. I am much more interested in an X95 than the Tavor.

In addition to what you said, they changed the design of how the parts around the action fit together. The military version has a significantly shorter length of pull and the pistol grip is much closer to the magazine well. I think the civilian version still has a shorter LOP than the Tavor, but they did add a really thick butt pad to increase overall length. They also moved the charging handle rearward because the military version has a 13" barrel. I believe the gas system and action are the same, but I don't know if any parts are interchangeable.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    It essentially is a Gen II, but I think the changes are substantial. I am much more interested in an X95 than the Tavor.

In addition to what you said, they changed the design of how the parts around the action fit together. The military version has a significantly shorter length of pull and the pistol grip is much closer to the magazine well. I think the civilian version still has a shorter LOP than the Tavor, but they did add a really thick butt pad to increase overall length. They also moved the charging handle rearward because the military version has a 13" barrel. I believe the gas system and action are the same, but I don't know if any parts are interchangeable.

Thank you for the clarification :thumbsup:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I think a MD compliant X95 is going to be downright goofy. A real X95 (MG) is something like 23" long IIRC. To put that in perspective its the same size as a MP5K w/ the stock extended. <- reread that and let it sink in. It makes a Tavor look huge in comparison. With the Tavor needing something pinned to its longer 18" version just to meet MDs 29" law the X95 will have to have something comically long pinned to the end. IMO, the appeal of the X95 is like that of the PS90 = its TINY as a proper SBR (and I want one of both - an PS90 SBR is what I missed pre-2013:()

An orig X95 w/ something like a pinned Specwar K would be the the bomb;) Should meet the 29" rule and will avoid a second stamp (SBR) too.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I think a MD compliant X95 is going to be downright goofy. A real X95 (MG) is something like 23" long IIRC. To put that in perspective its the same size as a MP5K w/ the stock extended. <- reread that and let it sink in. It makes a Tavor look huge in comparison. With the Tavor needing something pinned to its longer 18" version just to meet MDs 29" law the X95 will have to have something comically long pinned to the end. IMO, the appeal of the X95 is like that of the PS90 = its TINY as a proper SBR (and I want one of both - an PS90 SBR is what I missed pre-2013:()

An orig X95 w/ something like a pinned Specwar K would be the the bomb;) Should meet the 29" rule and will avoid a second stamp (SBR) too.

Has to meet NFA rules too, so you won't see sub 16" barrel X95 unless they start offering factory SBRs.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I read it meets Fed Reg on the 26+ OAL, so it would be hard pressed to get it here...they forgot to note the Mag Release Button forward of the trigger...and charging handle moved back...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Has to meet NFA rules too, so you won't see sub 16" barrel X95 unless they start offering factory SBRs.

One could cut a longer one down to factory length and rethread. I understand its easy to swap the barrel out of one of these. A factory SBR would be the bees knees but I don't know why manufacturers a *SO SLOW* to release them.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I was looking around MDS to do some reading on the X95 and found this thread.

We have a MD compliant version inbound for T&E, cant wait to put it through its paces. I agree with smdub, removing the goofy extension and pinning a suppressors break on it is the way to go.

Yup that's what I mentioned on your video too. No need for an 18" barrel and a 3+" brake. Congrats on getting a T&E gun, can't wait to see what you guys work up!!

In regards to improvements, I don't think there's enough there unless it's a SBR with the 13" barrel (that we can't even have). With that said I might still buy one anyway....:D I could use a Tavor I mean a X95 in FDE...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I held the X95 at the Harrisburg outdoor show. I loved it till I felt how much it weighed. Felt like 10 pounds without an optic! Still like it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its neat and looks to be an upgrade but Im sad it not an actual micro 'micro' (though MD 29" law would have stopped us from SBRing it.) The real X95 is much smaller than a Tavor, almost PS90 sized. Looks like there is no way to SBR it down to the orig size :( (for the rest of the free country who can still do such things.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom