• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are there any that are made of steel that are REASONABLY priced? I'm on my second tube(vltor 5 pos) on my latest ar project as the first that was on there, the end plate (also vltor) key ended up destroying the threads during castle nut tightening. The one that's on there now stripped the threads but to a lesser extent so I'm gonna stick with it. The picture is of the previous tube which is what came with the Sba3 brace.

I wasn't trying to tighten to milspec tightness (40 ft lbs!!!) more like 32 ft lbs. The TM for the m4 says 40 INCH lbs but that's retarded. That would mean 3 ft lbs and some change.

I am aware of the v7 tube but they'd have to pay me to buy that. Don't need a a match/3 gun level tube, just don't want to end up destroying anymore extension threads.

Attachments

• 1550278071040419130112.jpg
      1550278071040419130112.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 275

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am not aware of any. Try switching to an aluminum buffer tube nut?

I’ve only built 2 lowers, but never had the issue you are describing. With steel or aluminum buffer tube nuts.

I am not aware of any. Try switching to an aluminum buffer tube nut?

I’ve only built 2 lowers, but never had the issue you are describing. With steel or aluminum buffer tube nuts.

The nut isn't the problem, it's the alignment key on the end plate being of steel and the buffer tube being of aluminum. When tightening the castle nut, you get to a point where the steel key butts up against the aluminum keyway in the buffer tube and starts crushing? the softer aluminum threads.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You need to secure the Lower and the Receiver Extension when tightening or loosening the Castle Nut.

It's a 2 person job or you need a jig from Present Arms (Costs $325.00)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom