• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-bad-judges-deal-11548807717?mod=hp_opin_pos1

So more than a few eyes widened this month when the White House omitted three names from the list of 50 judges Mr. Trump sent back up to the Senate. What intrigue gives?

The three missing names were Californians nominated to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals last year. Two other Ninth Circuit nominees, Eric Miller of Washington and Bridget Bade of Arizona, were renominated. But Daniel Collins, Kenneth Lee and Patrick Bumatay were withheld because we’re told the White House is negotiating with California Democrats Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris.

Why Mr. Cipollone or the President would agree to this or any other deal with these Senators is a mystery. The hope seems to be that a White House concession would somehow produce less resistance to Mr. Trump’s nominees. And this would be useful if the President gets the chance to replace, say, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court.

It’s hard to believe someone could think this is plausible. Ms. Harris is running for President and will oppose any Trump nominee to the High Court. Ms. Feinstein was once more reasonable, but she and Ms. Harris were two of the worst mudslingers on the Judiciary Committee that smeared Brett Kavanaugh.

If Trump "negotiates" with Democrats on judges and justices, not having learned any lesson from Kavanaugh, it would eliminate the #1,#2, and #3 reason a lot of people voted for him.

And, of course, the 9th is one of the places the worst anti-gun rights opinions come from.

my suggestion, write and put pressure on groups like NRA. Writing to Cardin or Vanderpoop is a waste of time and electrons.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Last week I saw a picture of Trump speared on Pelosi's shoe heel.

Seems like it's becoming more and more obvious.

Republicans control the Senate. The House has no say in Judges. There is no fillibuster option for judges. What is the value in negotiation here?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I thought blue slips were not a thing anymore, because that's the only reason I see him caving on this.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    He has something they want [judges] and they have something he wants [border wall funding]. He's a businessman - at of the deal.

I've been concerned he'll pull something like this on 2A...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    He has something they want [judges] and they have something he wants [border wall funding]. He's a businessman - at of the deal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No. There is literally no universe Kamala "run to the left of Bernie Sanders" Harris or Feinswine are voting for a wall. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I thought blue slips were not a thing anymore, because that's the only reason I see him caving on this.
    Yeah, got to be the blue slip issue and Republicans wanting this prerogative should they eventually lose the WH and Senate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's a story from the WSJ. They have never been a fan of the Trump's presidency.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If Trump does not appoint conservative justices, esp to the ninth circus, what use is he?

The only thing that brought a lot of independents out to vote for Trump was the fear of Merrick Garland.

Very true.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    And now a moot issue:

The White House on Wednesday announced President Trump's slate of judicial nominees to serve on California's Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

The appeals court nominees include Daniel Collins, Kenneth Kiyul Lee and Patrick Bumatay.

https://www.axios.com/trump-federal...uit-638fe190-a288-4cd2-a2de-9dfe63a42196.html

Feinstein is "disappointed" - so its a good day. :)

I guess the WSJ oped hit the target.

ETA: list is here https://www.whitehouse.gov/presiden...nnounces-intent-nominate-judicial-nominees-2/

Bress, Collins, and Kiyul Lee are the circuit court appointments. Bumatay is a district court appointment.

Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Bress clerked for Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court of the United States.

yikes, some serious pro-gun bona fides if Bress learned anything from Wilkinson and Scalia. No wonder Feinswine and Harris are pissed.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Aren’t all 3 members of the Federalist Society? I thought I heard/read that somewhere else. If so, then that’s even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    And now a moot issue:

The White House on Wednesday announced President Trump's slate of judicial nominees to serve on California's Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://www.axios.com/trump-federal...uit-638fe190-a288-4cd2-a2de-9dfe63a42196.html

Feinstein is "disappointed" - so its a good day. :)

I guess the WSJ oped hit the target.

ETA: list is here https://www.whitehouse.gov/presiden...nnounces-intent-nominate-judicial-nominees-2/

Bress, Collins, and Kiyul Lee are the circuit court appointments. Bumatay is a district court appointment.

yikes, some serious pro-gun bona fides if Bress learned anything from Wilkinson and Scalia. No wonder Feinswine and Harris are pissed.

It’s funny, though also sad and not very surprising, that Feinstein is disappointed because 3 of the nominees do not have judicial experience.

Two words. Elena. Kagan.

Democrats. If it weren’t for double standards, they’d have no standards at all.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Yeah, except for the fact that they are playing chess and he is playing checkers.

#shutdownclusterfvck

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Even odder. The story i heard was that Scalia ASKED for Kagan. Iirc. It was Scalia saying that in an interview, after her appointment

It’s funny, though also sad and not very surprising, that Feinstein is disappointed because 3 of the nominees do not have judicial experience.

Two words. Elena. Kagan.

Democrats. If it weren’t for double standards, they’d have no standards at all.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    There's no indication he is negotiating. It's an opinion piece with "we're told" being their source. A couple of judges got dropped off the large list of candidates is all we know. Every hack writer with a mysterious "source" does not make a story. :)

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Blah, blah, blah. We get it, you don’t like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a mature stance........we dont agree so discount my opinion all together.

Status quo I guess. Sad part is I may not be in a minority that is as small as what you might think. Plenty of people here agree to a certain extent but just grow tired of hearing the ******** and stay away to avoid it.

Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom