• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    So this would be my first purchase of an AR 10. In just looking around on the inner web I see Aero seems to be a cheaper entry level Ar10 and the LWRCi seems to be one of the best and looks like I can get both in MD... I think. But I don't know much about either one and want to know more and what else is there. I am not concerned about price to much. Just want a decent rifle!

Intended use will be for distance, accuracy and occasional hunting.
    So I would be looking to mount a bi-pod and scope. And not deck it all out like my ar15's.

So then the second part to this would be... What is a good scope to mount to it? I have found 300 choices. But would rather ask what people are using.
    For this gun I would be buying some top shelf ammo and or buying custom loads from someone who knows there stuff. But would also shoot some store bought stuff to have fun on weekends with friends at the range. But when needing that distance and accuracy... I would use the good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I love my Daniel Defense Ambush. I put a Steiner 3-12×50mm scope on it. I picked it up to get in to longer range shooting last year. Only had it out to 200 yards so far but hoping this spring and summer to try for 6-800.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I love my Daniel Defense Ambush. I put a Steiner 3-12×50mm scope on it. I picked it up to get in to longer range shooting last year. Only had it out to 200 yards so far but hoping this spring and summer to try for 6-800.
    They are at the top of my list as well. My problem is. I don't know anything about the Ar10 and I am trying not make the same mistakes I did with my ar15's. I bought fist and did no research! And then bought a whole bunch of new right and better parts for just a little bit more money and or the same money. Now this time around I am trying to learn more before I buy! Lol. But I am over whelmed with the information out there.

I know i needed to know upfront what I was going to use the gun for... Then what ammo I would use. That would help me pick the right gun.

There is just a lot I don't know yet and that's why I am asking.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if not concerned about price, can't do too much better than jp rifles. can get a lighter profile barrel if you will be carrying it hunting.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Mine is definitely on the heavy side after adding the bipod and scope. If you are close to calvert county we could set up a time to shoot. Would be nice to set up a range day with several different versions. This is the only ar-10 I have shot so don't know much about the competition.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Mine is definitely on the heavy side after adding the bipod and scope. If you are close to calvert county we could set up a time to shoot. Would be nice to set up a range day with several different versions. This is the only ar-10 I have shot so don't know much about the competition.
    I live in Calvert

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Main thing is there are Armalite/ar-10 pattern with an angled cut at the rear of the upper, and DPMS with a rounded cut at the rear. The DPMS pattern has high profile, and low profile, meaning the height of the rail above the bore line. The receiver pattern dictates bolt/barrel specs, but DPMS high profile is probably the most popular, and easiest to match parts up to with the most AR15 parts compatibility. Carbine buffers are also different, the AR10 uses a tube 3/4" longer with a standard buffer(Vltor A5 length) anf long/heavy spring, DPMS tends to use normal M4 carbine tubes, but a 3/4" shorter buffer and short / heavy spring. As far as caliber, 6.5 creedmoore is better ballistically than 308 in most ways, but if you already load or stock 308, want to use cheap surplus or Wolf ammo or plan to shoot in a competition that requires 308(3 gun heavy) then 308 is the way to go. As far as what to buy, a built rifle can be either AR, DPMS or a proprietary pattern(RRA), if you want easy upgrades, go with DPMS pattern. Aero is good for the money, and easy to build, pick a good barrel, and they can be accurate.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have two Armalite AR-10 rifles...the base model and the AR-10(T) target grade. Both are excellent and can do whatever you want. I also have a Colt LE-901SE which I think is a better rifle but not that much better for twice the price. My only complaint about the target grade rifle is it's one of the older ones and takes only modified M14 magazines rather than the more easily found and less expensive P-mags the other uses.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Main thing is there are Armalite/ar-10 pattern with an angled cut at the rear of the upper, and DPMS with a rounded cut at the rear. The DPMS pattern has high profile, and low profile, meaning the height of the rail above the bore line. The receiver pattern dictates bolt/barrel specs, but DPMS high profile is probably the most popular, and easiest to match parts up to with the most AR15 parts compatibility. Carbine buffers are also different, the AR10 uses a tube 3/4" longer with a standard buffer(Vltor A5 length) anf long/heavy spring, DPMS tends to use normal M4 carbine tubes, but a 3/4" shorter buffer and short / heavy spring. As far as caliber, 6.5 creedmoore is better ballistically than 308 in most ways, but if you already load or stock 308, want to use cheap surplus or Wolf ammo or plan to shoot in a competition that requires 308(3 gun heavy) then 308 is the way to go. As far as what to buy, a built rifle can be either AR, DPMS or a proprietary pattern(RRA), if you want easy upgrades, go with DPMS pattern. Aero is good for the money, and easy to build, pick a good barrel, and they can be accurate.
    LRT-SASS is one of the dpms you are talking about right?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have an unfired 20 inch LWRC REPR in FDE. I am considering selling it because I don’t shoot rifles much anymore. It also has a new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP in a LaRue OBR QD mount.

Let me know if you have real interest in it. Good luck.

Attachments

• A078FC07-6B04-4ABC-87F0-FC561D9A3D59.jpg
      A078FC07-6B04-4ABC-87F0-FC561D9A3D59.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 105

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    LRT-SASS is one of the dpms you are talking about right?

It's obviously DPMS pattern, and decent, but Aero, CMT, S&W and a few others are compatible. LMT, Mega, and Stag use Armalite pattern

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    I have an Aero Precision AR-10 and live in Calvert. Where would we shoot if we all met up? How about that empty field across from the carwash on Route 4 in Prince Frederick where that school used to be? I'm sure the county mounties and the staties would just come by to watch and cheer us on! :)

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a place to shoot in Lusby but schedule is crazy until the end of March. Would love to set up a range day with some mdshooters after that. Maybe we can get several ar-10 variants lined up to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom