• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I get the appeal of making your own, but for the cost of a new G19 what benefit do you get to going this route. are the lone wolf components that much better?
    I think the building your own thing is a powerful motivator, especially if you're not going to be using a lot of stock parts. Also like not having to deal with the seven day wait and going to the shop twice... I have kids, my schedule is kinda busy on weekdays.

Anyone know if any sites sell custom Glock lower parts kits? I'd like to be able to select my various components instead of just getting a pile of stock parts.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I think the building your own thing is a powerful motivator, especially if you're not going to be using a lot of stock parts. Also like not having to deal with the seven day wait and going to the shop twice... I have kids, my schedule is kinda busy on weekdays.

Anyone know if any sites sell custom Glock lower parts kits? I'd like to be able to select my various components instead of just getting a pile of stock parts.

good point, I have ran across a company looking to do an 80% P320

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD

Midway USA and Brownells both have a bunch of aftermarket Glock parts that you could mix and match to put a frame together. I mostly bought all my parts for the builds I have done through Midway.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Midway USA and Brownells both have a bunch of aftermarket Glock parts that you could mix and match to put a frame together. I mostly bought all my parts for the builds I have done through Midway.
    I was looking for something like "here's a page with a bunch of drop-downs of parts", but, yeah, I can always buy piece by piece like I do with ARs. Just being lazy!

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I was looking for something like "here's a page with a bunch of drop-downs of parts", but, yeah, I can always buy piece by piece like I do with ARs. Just being lazy!

Zev makes a slide parts kit, but the only frame parts kit I've seen is the stock kit. I just bought that and then just switched out to an aftermarket trigger.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are building for the range then other than OEM Glock parts are fine. If you may use your build for defense, I would suggest only Glock OEM parts in the frame and slide with the exception of the slide and barrel.

The vast majority of reliability problems are corrected simply by installing Glock parts.

Remember that Glocks are not intended to be target pistols. If you want a smooth, crisp, light trigger,..... build a 1911!

Reason for building: If you think you will save money by building, you are incorrect! A build will cost the same or more than buying a new Glock. You will save on the transfer fee and HQL costs if you are like me and refuse to give Maryland the information on any "regulated firearm" alleged to be in my possession before the tragic boat accident!

The main benefit to building is that you will know your firearm intimately and there is a feeling of pride the first time you make it go bang, bang, bang.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Reason for building: If you think you will save money by building, you are incorrect! A build will cost the same or more than buying a new Glock. You will save on the transfer fee and HQL costs if you are like me and refuse to give Maryland the information on any "regulated firearm" alleged to be in my possession before the tragic boat accident!
    Well, yeah. I wanted to build out a unique-looking Roland Special, not necessarily save money. And yes, avoiding an FFL trip is not trivial for me due to my weekday time constraints. I'm way, way too invested in NFA to be off anyone's radar, though. :)

https://www.magcommander.com/collec...and-lone-wolf-pf940c-lower-completion-kit-9mm

This is good deal with all the lone wolf parts. I did that and then got an Apex trigger from Brownells.
    Thanks! That looks like an amazing deal.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I'm thinking I'm going to try one of these next month. Looks very easy to do, and I've been meaning to do another Glock.

Easy is relative. Honestly, probably +/-10% of gun owners would have the ability, attention to detail, tooling or patience to complete these kits.

If it's not plug and play, most people can't do it.

Probably 3 out of 4 people can't even change a car tire anymore. I know for a fact I'm the only person in my office who can change oil, and I work with like 40 people.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I finished up my P80 kit tonight. Some thoughts:
    1. Don't by shy when drilling out the holes. I was a little too gentle and had trouble getting some pins in. I had to go back and ream them out a touch. No big deal.
    2. You definitely don't need a drill press. You can dremel/file/sand out the rails and recoil spring area without much trouble. You will want to have a recoil spring in hand to make sure the recoil spring area is properly carved out, albeit it sounds like you may need to do some finishing even if you used the mill bit. Hobby knife is not bad for trimming the rail areas before hitting them with sand paper.
    3. It took me a while to do it, but I think I could do a second one considerably faster. I didn't know how to install a lot of the parts, which slowed me down a lot. Good news now is that I _really_ know how Glock lowers go together. :)

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    as before hitting them with sand paper.
    3. It took me a while to do it, but I think I could do a second one considerably faster. I didn't know how to install a lot of the parts, which slowed me down a lot. Good news now is that I _really_ know how Glock lowers go together. :)

Learning the innards of a particular gun is why I enjoy doing 80% guns.

I did a Stealth Arms 1911 and am still amazed someone had the where with all to design that 100 years ago.

ecampo

Mar 3, 2008
    By far the fastest method I have found for the rails is to use a chisel to knock them off. Takes about a minutes to knock off all 4 rails then just clean them up with an exacto knife.

Radio_Flyer

Jun 18, 2015
    Finished my first one. Took it to the range this past weekend. Winchester 124gr gave me fits. Thought it was the gun, would fire the first one, then not load the next one. Pulled the magazine, cleared the slide, put the magazine back in, loaded another round, fired perfectly, wouldn't load another round. Tried a couple more times. Put in some Federal 115gr and it went to town. Really happy with it, shot better with it then my G19. Not sure what the issue is with the Winchester, looked like it could not pull it up properly. Worked in my G19 and VP9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom