• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't understand people who have the mentality that "it's a gun show, therefore it must be cheaper". In the last 6 years I've never found ammo at a gun show cheaper then online. I've also hardly ever seen any accessories cheaper than online too.

Years ago, you COULD buy things cheaper than local stores and on line purchases were the exception and not the norm. A prime example was AMMOMAN, he would pack up and come from Jersey to every gun show in MD. Then his sales were more of the online type and he stopped coming to MD shows.

Shurluk was one of my favorite parts supplier. They came from Ohio for every MD show. Internet sales became their norm and they stopped coming to MD.

Then there were other vendors that just didn't want to put up with the MD way of doing business. Dennis Todd as a great NFA vendor. However he lost his contact in MD and he didn't have anyone to do his local transfers with. So he stopped coming.

Northeast guns was actually a guy from New York I believe. Business was so good in MD, he opened up a small hole in the wall store in Northeast MD just to sell guns at the MD gun shows.

If you weren't around the gun shows back in the late 80s and early 90s, you truly missed something special. Imagine the Timonium show being packed so tight, you couldn't get through the isles. Imagine that same show with 20 or more FFL vendors and not a sock vendor to be seen.

The MD gun shows at one time was a place you could find whatever you wanted and found it at a great price.

But these are just the ramblings of an older man, one who wishes for the times of yesteryear.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Years ago, you COULD buy things cheaper than local stores and on line purchases were the exception and not the norm. A prime example was AMMOMAN, he would pack up and come from Jersey to every gun show in MD. Then his sales were more of the online type and he stopped coming to MD shows.

Shurluk was one of my favorite parts supplier. They came from Ohio for every MD show. Internet sales became their norm and they stopped coming to MD.

Then there were other vendors that just didn't want to put up with the MD way of doing business. Dennis Todd as a great NFA vendor. However he lost his contact in MD and he didn't have anyone to do his local transfers with. So he stopped coming.

Northeast guns was actually a guy from New York I believe. Business was so good in MD, he opened up a small hole in the wall store in Northeast MD just to sell guns at the MD gun shows.

If you weren't around the gun shows back in the late 80s and early 90s, you truly missed something special. Imagine the Timonium show being packed so tight, you couldn't get through the isles. Imagine that same show with 20 or more FFL vendors and not a sock vendor to be seen.

The MD gun shows at one time was a place you could find whatever you wanted and found it at a great price.

But these are just the ramblings of an older man, one who wishes for the times of yesteryear.

I grew up goin to those late 80s/early 90s shows. My dad bought me plenty of rifles at those shows when I found one I wanted. I also remember the AMMOMAN from NJ. Eric I think his name was. Always great prices and one heck of a business going on. Seemed like the man never took a breath. I also remember the pikesville armory shows. Those were shoulder to shoulder every day. I was 12-13 at one of those and could hardly make my way through the place. Now at the ripe old age of 37 I long for those good gunshows now that I have a way to better finance my hobby.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    When I heard about the ban I grabbed a couple boxes of M855 @ DSG for $159.00 (reg price) which is $.53 rnd. I just thought cool to have some I know it's crap, but good brass. So if someone wants $.60 rnd for setting up at a gun show they are dicks?
    I think the vendors need a little leeway ... Tough crowd here. Ban the gougers too. How much is a beer at a football game. Just my $.02.
    I might go , would love to meet y'all.

Then he sold it to a guy named Lou and he moved it to Mt. Airy

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Then he sold it to a guy named Lou and he moved it to Mt. Airy

I think Lou would buy from the guy at Northeast. They were not a partnership, but they were very good friends. I don't know if the guy is still in business. But shortly before leaving MD, he was involved in a pretty bad auto accident.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I think Lou would buy from the guy at Northeast. They were not a partnership, but they were very good friends. I don't know if the guy is still in business. But shortly before leaving MD, he was involved in a pretty bad auto accident.

they do business as Phoenix distributor's and do pa shows and LE sales

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

Wow, I remember that guy. Bought a Sig 226 police trade-in from him at the Salisbury show we used to have here back in the early 90's. Made the purchase not realizing how far North East, MD is from Salisbury to go pick it up after 7 days. What a haul!!!! He did throw in some 9mm when I picked it up.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Notheast Guns

Yes, I bought some guns fromthem. Always a great deal, and Gary at the shop (with his beautiful German Shepard, My Dog) would take time and answer any questions you would have.
    Didn't realize Shooters Discount bought them out.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a meeting 10 minutes from there Saturday morning so I'll swing by and look for a few things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you can bring a pound of $50's we'll (Me and Lou) be glad to trade em.
    Straight up and honest 1:1 even exchange.

Let me think about that for a minute... No, $50 bills are too hard to find. I can bring $100 bills if that works?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    XM855 was $600/1000 at the York show. Almost double what it was before the rumored ban.

That was from the same ammo dealer that is always in the lobby at the Timonium show.

I wonder what their price will be THIS weekend??? It'll be interesting to see.

When I heard about the ban I grabbed a couple boxes of M855 @ DSG for $159.00 (reg price) which is $.53 rnd. I just thought cool to have some I know it's crap, but good brass. So if someone wants $.60 rnd for setting up at a gun show they are dicks?
    I think the vendors need a little leeway ... Tough crowd here. Ban the gougers too. How much is a beer at a football game. Just my $.02.
    I might go , would love to meet y'all.

M855 pricing will no doubt be humorous.

Like I said above, it'll be interesting.

If you can bring a pound of $50's we'll (Me and Lou) be glad to trade em.
    Straight up and honest 1:1 even exchange.

No numnuts, you're selling us way too short there.............

Let me think about that for a minute... No, $50 bills are too hard to find. I can bring $100 bills if that works?

It works here an' wiff mopar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom