To metallurgist out there: difference between receivers made of 6061, 7075 and 7029

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patapsco

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 16, 2019
    I have lots of experience engineering with both 6061 and 7075 aluminum. I will try to keep the properties discussion relevant to receivers. These are both age/ precipitation hardening alloys which means that mechanical properties can be highly dependent on temper, and that they can be easily overaged at elevated temperatures. I will only talk about the peak aged -T6 tempers which are most common.

6061-T6 is probably the most common aluminum produced in plate or bar and for good reason. It possesses an excellent combination of good strength, good machinability, good corrosion resistance, good weldability, acceptable formability, and good cost. It is an excellent alloy and really the jack of all trades when it comes to aluminum.

7075-T6 is a much more specialized alloy developed for airframing. Compared to 6061-T6, 7075-T6 possesses significantly higher strength at the cost of significantly reduced corrosion resistance, poor formability, and poor weldability.

To me, the significantly higher bearing strength of 7075-T6 is the primary advantage it has over 6061-T6 in AR receivers which will prevent bearing yield around the takedown pins. To me, the improved corrosion resistance of 6061-T6 is the primary advantage it has over 7075-T6 in AR receivers which is especially important in 80% receivers that will be left unfinished. However a proper Type III hard coat anodize iaw mil-a-8625 will protect both alloys well.

I have no experience with 7029.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    AS stated above:
    6061 T6 slightly less strength, better corrosion resistance, Magnesium is the primary alloying element

7075 T6 Higher strength, less corrosion resistance, Zink is the primary alloying element.

I've never used 7029, so can't comment beyond that it is a 7000 series.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have lots of experience engineering with both 6061 and 7075 aluminum. I will try to keep the properties discussion relevant to receivers. These are both age/ precipitation hardening alloys which means that mechanical properties can be highly dependent on temper, and that they can be easily overaged at elevated temperatures. I will only talk about the peak aged -T6 tempers which are most common.

6061-T6 is probably the most common aluminum produced in plate or bar and for good reason. It possesses an excellent combination of good strength, good machinability, good corrosion resistance, good weldability, acceptable formability, and good cost. It is an excellent alloy and really the jack of all trades when it comes to aluminum.

7075-T6 is a much more specialized alloy developed for airframing. Compared to 6061-T6, 7075-T6 possesses significantly higher strength at the cost of significantly reduced corrosion resistance, poor formability, and poor weldability.

To me, the significantly higher bearing strength of 7075-T6 is the primary advantage it has over 6061-T6 in AR receivers which will prevent bearing yield around the takedown pins. To me, the improved corrosion resistance of 6061-T6 is the primary advantage it has over 7075-T6 in AR receivers which is especially important in 80% receivers that will be left unfinished. However a proper Type III hard coat anodize iaw mil-a-8625 will protect both alloys well.

I have no experience with 7029.

AS stated above:
    6061 T6 slightly less strength, better corrosion resistance, Magnesium is the primary alloying element

7075 T6 Higher strength, less corrosion resistance, Zink is the primary alloying element.

I've never used 7029, so can't comment beyond that it is a 7000 series.

These guys are correct. I just wanted to add, from an aviation background, 7075 is considered non-weldable and used in aircraft basic structure like frames and longerons. 6061 is considered weldable and typically used on secondary structure like aerodynamic fairings and landing gear doors. There are exceptions to everything.

Also, just as a side note, aviation and "food grade" aluminium are basically the same thing. All it means is that the aluminium can not be taken from a recycled source. This means that soda cans (or any recycled aluminium) can never be turned into airplanes (or back into soda cans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom