• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I have a Taurus Tracker 627 in .357 magnum caliber with a 7-shot cylinder. I have shot a total of 35 shots through the revolver because I just didn't find it fun to shoot. Part of the reason for that was reloading the revolver. I have seen moon clips for the S&W guns, but don't know if there are moon clips or gun smiths who can machine the cylinder to use moon clips. Does anyone know if there are moon clips for the Tracker and if any place does machining for this gun to accept moon clips?
    thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    TK Custom can machine your revolver for moon clips but they are unnecessary and can present issues as moon clips work best with short and stumpy cartridges not the longer .38/.357. You may be confused with speed loaders which are designed to work with factory revolvers and the .38 and .44 family.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have a pair of speed loaders, but don't like them. I wanted to see if moon clips are available for the Taurus Tracker because they seem to work better than the speed loaders, especially if I decide to try the revolver division some day in IPSC.

There are different types of speed loaders some work by pushing the knob others work with a twist. Some people like one but not the other.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have a pair of speed loaders, but don't like them. I wanted to see if moon clips are available for the Taurus Tracker because they seem to work better than the speed loaders, especially if I decide to try the revolver division some day in IPSC.

7e6742698ac7e96b53a098e4cab0fb5bf7e8fbe1e27e953cc7bd617553254cbb.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Using Speedloaders is a skill . It takes a certain amount of practice to master. FWIW , the set in the link above is what I would recommend . ( Source- I was there in the tail of the Revolver Era , and remain a Revolver Guy up to present day .)

Mopar beat me to it , why moonclips are a specialized niche thing , and not a caragoric no- brainer .

python

Apr 15, 2010
    TK Custom does the machining and sell the moon clips. Their work is top notch, but their clips are very pricey. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices for Taurus revolvers. You can try Revolver Supply for the clips, also. I use moon clips in 5 different 45acp revolvers. Once you use them, you'll wonder why all revolvers aren't made for them. They're MUCH faster than speedloaders and easier to use. A tool for loading and unloading the clips also comes in very handy. Good luck.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because when the clips become bent, its a zero shooter.

Because loading and unloading the clips is a major pia .

MUCH faster is subjective . In a match where tenths of a second over double digit stages make huge difference ? Would make a difference . In real world , is a tenth or two huge difference ? Usually not , and probably not worth the trade off of durability .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My 0.02: Moon clips will be expensive and wont fix your problem.

Trade it for something else. Although I would say that 7 shots of 357 is excellent by the nightstand for HD. Or in a walking around holster. This one is not designed to be "fun" so much as reliably go bang. For fun pick up something else.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Because when the clips become bent, its a zero shooter.

Because loading and unloading the clips is a major pia .

MUCH faster is subjective . In a match where tenths of a second over double digit stages make huge difference ? Would make a difference . In real world , is a tenth or two huge difference ? Usually not , and probably not worth the trade off of durability .

Using a proper tool such as a BMT will allowing the clips to last a REALLY long time. As far as being faster, I would say that to be a fact if the loading time is quicker than another method, regardless of how much difference there is in the elapsed time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom