• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Nice job everyone! Ive been seen very few deer lately. I think the bucks are chasing hard! I found an old skid trail that had 25+ scrapes on it! It cant be all the same buck, or at least I wouldnt think. I need to get a game camera out there and see whats going on.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    The big boys are starting to really move.

From this morning.

Been passing on younger age/size class bucks as, according to the trail cameras, we have many in this age/size class running around and several that are MUCH larger as well.

After all the long range shooting/training out to 50 yards, this fellow stood only 11 paces from my tree as he worked a licking branch/scrape line.

Hope my MDS brothers and sisters are having a good season so far.

November%208%202018%208%20Pointer%20%20Photo%202.JPG

November%208%202018%208%20Pointer%20%20Photo%201.JPG

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    First deer

Just got my first deer yesterday. It's 2 years in the making. But finally got one.
    The hardest part to me is finding a spot, and scouting. Can't get one where there is no deer.

I thought I aimed well, and took plenty of time before the shot, but I still hit the left shoulder blade, and chest bone. Indeed, there was no wound to any of the vital organs. It ran 70-80 yards. Good thing was that the gut was intact, so no mess.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Good hunting to everybody!

Attachments

• mmexport1541861892860.jpg
      mmexport1541861892860.jpg
      221.5 KB · Views: 317

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Took my 15yr old grand son out.Right off the bat we had a couple deer come from downwind and bust us.20 mins later we could see one in heavy brush that just vanished.The wind was rocking us back and forth ,and after waiting 2 more hours with no other deer sighted,we called it a day.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Another youth deer tonight. It was the kids first time hunting ever.

Thanks to Mag Dump for being his hunter safety instructor

Attachments

• 24F4BF78-0D11-413C-80BA-CBC64A6F5D02.jpg
      24F4BF78-0D11-413C-80BA-CBC64A6F5D02.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 302

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    It is GREAT to see kids getting deer. Look at the smiles on the boys with their first deer!

On a side note, I thought I've heard that a person didn't need an AR 'cause ya can't hunt with it. Hmmmm

I'm going to try to get my 13yr old out in the tree stand tomorrow.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Got a young doe tonight. Couldn't find the camera until I started skinning. Looks like the Schwackers didn't open until passing thru the heart? Went between ribs on way in and broke 3 ribs on the way out. She ran about 100 feet, fell down, got up for another 20 feet then down. First time using the truck mounted deer pole. Already got v2.0 planned. heart.jpg

hoist.jpg

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Killed this guy this morning. Watched him following a doe out in the field next to me for about an hour. She finally came into the woods and he followed her right to within ten yards of my stand.

Attachments

• 38B4BFDE-CCDB-4EEA-9D09-A67D1C138752.jpg
      38B4BFDE-CCDB-4EEA-9D09-A67D1C138752.jpg
      208.5 KB · Views: 391

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats everyone! Especially all the kids who downed brown yesterday.

My neighbor up the road from me saw a REALLY nice 8-pt jump his fence and head up towards the park I am planning to hunt on Tuesday (weather permitting). I hope he is chasing some tail near where I hang my stand.

Also some A-hole buck shredded the bark on my 2-yr old peach tree two nights ago. I am really regretting not having wrapped the trunk. Hopefully it survives (it is now wrapped).

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Took my grand son back out again today.This morning we had a big mature (probably an 8 point) walk through some thick saplings around 75 yrds out.He never stopped to present a shot.Once he was out of sight,I tried rattling ,but never saw him again...DRATS...lol.

A little while later,a spike did the same thing,but was about 40 yrds out....I tried to just tickle the antlers and off he went....DRATS again.
    That was all we saw the rest of the morning.

We went to a different spot in the eve,a hay field bordered by a woods and standing corn.This is where he got a nice doe in the early BP season.
    Not too long after setting up,4 does came out the corn.Tyler was watching through his scope waiting for the biggest one to get broadside,when for no apparent reason ,they all bolted back into the corn.

Half an hour later,a spike came out of the corn and walked past without stopping.We baaahhhed and whistled to no avail.Since this is about 100 yards away,a good shot wasnt possible.

A little while later,two does came out and walked and fed.Finally a deer to shoot at that wasnt in a hurry.Dont you know it? Tyler misses and easy shot.The deer just stand there,and he misses again!!!! The deer slowly walk back into the standing corn.
    Yup....he was feeling a little dejected.

A while goes by.I look at my phone and say there is only 3 mins left of legal shooting time.
    But wait!!! Wouldnt you know it? Soon as I say it,the 4 does that came out earlier and ran back in, reappear.They walked towards us at a quick pace.When they get straight out and broadside,I baahh to stop them.I was watching through binos when Tyler shot and could tell it was a good hit.She ran 40 yrds or so,stopped and fell over. Lots of trials and tribulations for Tyler on this years youth hunt.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Had some luck last weekend.

Looks like I wasn't the only one. Congrats to everyone, especially our junior hunters, for connecting this past weekend.

I thought about posting this in the "Pictures that scream you're a..." thread(not really, but the thought made evil clown smile come back).

:D

Attachments

• 20181111_111659.jpg
      20181111_111659.jpg
      162.2 KB · Views: 293
    • 20181111_111825.jpg
      20181111_111825.jpg
      163.3 KB · Views: 296

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Had some luck last weekend.

Looks like I wasn't the only one. Congrats to everyone, especially our junior hunters, for connecting this past weekend.

I thought about posting this in the "Pictures that scream you're a..." thread(not really, but the thought made evil clown smile come back).

:D

Sheesh, he's a bruiser. Hope you had help getting him to your vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom