NZ bans types of semi-automatic weapons, high capacity magazines after mass shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    So the PM announced a ban while parliament isn’t in session and therefore the ban doesn’t really exist. Meanwhile they’re trying to convince the populace that their queens decree carries weight while it currently doesn’t; disgusting.

Some kiwis on another forum I’m on have talked about basically being in a holding pattern until government is actually in session and see how much push back there is from the rest of Parliament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    “New Zealand is at a considerable disadvantage to countries that have had registries, because there’s no way of tracing the firearms because they don’t know who’s got them,” Mr. Alpers said. “We’re relying entirely on the honesty of the gun owner to turn it in.”

Registry = Confiscation.
    Every time, just a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Here's an excerpt of the NY Times reporting on this story ...

New Zealand Announces Ban on Weapons Used in Massacre That Killed 50
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/world/asia/new-zealand-gun-ban.html

At least no one is mincing words. Registration needs to be in place for a more effective confiscation, and they've already put an administrative ban in place by executive fiat before there's actual regulation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Registration is always considered the 3rd pillar of gun control. It is much more about being able to change laws and knowing who has what so you can go take it away or know who is being honest in turning in the new illegal stuff. Not nearly so much about insuring newly minted prohibited persons have turned everything in.

Countries rarely liberalize gun laws. They almost always pass more restrictive ones as time goes on. Hence registration.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So the PM announced a ban while parliament isn’t in session and therefore the ban doesn’t really exist. Meanwhile they’re trying to convince the populace that their queens decree carries weight while it currently doesn’t; disgusting.

Some kiwis on another forum I’m on have talked about basically being in a holding pattern until government is actually in session and see how much push back there is from the rest of Parliament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a unicarmel legislator and the head of the party in power is also the chief executive. It’s just about a done deal. I hope for their sake it isn’t, but there does seem to be enough popular support the 5-10% (maybe a little more) of the populace that might not support it will just get steam rolled.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I know you can buy the PVC and end caps at any hardware store, but where does one get cosmoline? Asking for a friend.

This is why you need things with synthetic stocks. Just fill it with cheap motor oil and forget about it.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    They did exactly what the terrorist wanted. Forced capitulation. Now any nut job will think they can do the same thing. Bad precedent.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This week an elderly family member of mine got her official Maryland ID. It refers to her as "Customer name." No more citizens here, friend.

"Customer" is like a PC buzzword. Where I work (I'm in IT), they call all the users "customers" when they are just fellow employees. I'm a rebel and stick with old-school "users."

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    "Customer" is like a PC buzzword. Where I work (I'm in IT), they call all the users "customers" when they are just fellow employees. I'm a rebel and stick with old-school "users."
    Off the punishment camp for you where you'll have to write code in BASIC...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I got into a LONG Twitter discussion with several people on the night of the massacre about this very subject. The original person was a hospital nurse in the city where the massacre took place, and it began shortly after the event and lasted well into the night. Very enlightening.

At first, she was in shock, condemned gun owners, and could NOT understand why I (later we) stood by the 2A so strongly. She finally calmed down, and revealed a few pertinent points about the NZ culture.

• It's an island, and the culture is "pull together." She was innundated with/overwhelmed by IMs and tweets about the event from the start.
    • Each and every person she talked to was totally shocked by the violence, and wanted to "DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT." (Sound familiar?)
    • There is a group mindset and worship of government (my words, not hers; I more accurately assess it as "sheeple") that is VERY strong in the cities, but almost completely absent in the bush.
    • Her assessment is that the city dwellers will turn in their "assault weapons," but the "farmers" (i.e., ranchers) will just go :tongue01: to the gummint.
    • The ban will be just as successful as Australia's original ban; in other words, a complete failure.
    So there it is, from a horse's mouth, so to speak. I left as the discussion/comforting was ongoing, but in revisiting the thread she had reconciled gun ownership with human beings in her mind. I think she understood our reverence for our 2A.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

It's a universal buzzword. If you don't believe it, just listen to the announcements on Metro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom