• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I consider myself to be about as safety conscious as a person can be BUT today I lost my focus. Was playing with my little snub nose 38 (yes playing/fooling around, broke a rule right there). Was cocking gun then pulling trigger with thumb still on hammer and releasing slowly back into position. Third time I did it thumb comes off hammer and BANG. Why was I doing this with a loaded gun ? Sheer stupidity and lack of focus. To compound the stupidity my left hand was next to the cylinder. Why ? I haven't a clue, other than, again, lack of focus and stupidity.

Fortunately I train regularly and out of habit ALWAYS follow rule #1, IE: Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction unless you plan on destroying something. In this case it meant the loss of a vhs tape rewinder, a vhs tape, and a metal beer tray, but that's because the muzzle was pointed toward the floor like it should be, and not at my leg or a wall or a ceiling.

At any rate I got a very poignant reminder of how important safety is and thought I would share my experience as a reminder to everyone else too. I'm going to drill a hole in that casing and put it on my key ring so I never forget.

Attachments

• powderburn.jpg
      powderburn.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 1,755

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    I remember when my dad let a .25acp go in the basement. It went through a wall, off a concrete slab and imbedded into a wood stud. Mom was pissed. Stupid stuff happens. Learn from the error.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Alan, you destroyed a VHS tape, a VHS rewinder and a metal beer tray...

So, this happened in the mid 1980s and we are only now hearing about it? Didn't burn your parachute pants I hope because you're legit, too legit to quit, yo.

Glad you survived your close singe with fate.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Alan, you destroyed a VHS tape, a VHS rewinder and a metal beer tray...

So, this happened in the mid 1980s and we are only now hearing about it? Didn't burn your parachute pants I hope because you're legit, too legit to quit, yo.

Glad you survived your close singe with fate.

Someone needs to tell him Blcokbuster and Hollywood are closed too no need for the rewinder....

To the OP glad everything worked out and only a few vintage trinkets were dmamaged.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Glad you're okay, but you broke several rules... first off, always ALWAYS be sure the weapon is safe, unloaded, verified, etc...BEFORE you 'mess' with it in any way.. you know the others... glad it didn't turn out any worse for you!!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    There are two types of firearm owners: those who have had a negligent discharge, and those who haven't had one yet.

Glad to hear that no was hurt. Learn from it and move forward.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Glad you are safe and without any new holes.....
    It is a VERY tough lesson...

I have had a load of Bird shot go off in basement practicing my reloads....is the loudest bang I never wanted to hear...

I learn my lesson......no hot loads EVER around. I was born around guns and new better....

But was working with dummy rounds and grabbed one to "load to capacity".....and still have a hole in wall to show for it.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Thanks for sharing. I shy away from live rounds in the chamber while in my house. But its certainly different with a revolver. How are your ear drums? Was anyone else in the house?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This was a negligent discharge, not accidental.

NRA safety rules:

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

ALWAYS keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to shoot.

ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Thankfully no one was hurt, save for a bruised ego.

Be safe and be well.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sounds like it wasn't a accident. More like negligence. Glad your ok but you need to seriously think about your actions.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Glad the OP and all around him are OK.

All of us have brain farts, but should have them elsewhere. Firearm Safety Rule #1 is fundamental: All firearms are always loaded all of the time!

An active shooting range is not a playground. We refer to our firearms as "toys", but they are anything but.

OP, I agree with some of other's remarks. Hooli would not like to meet you until you learn more about safety.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Good on you for manning up & sharing your mistake. A lesser man would've hidden everything.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I know somebody that did exactly what you did. But he has a 357 mag and he live in an apartment complex.
    The bullet went thru the floor and barely missed one of his neighbors.
    Police was call and they took his gun, and got him in a lot of trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom