• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Originally I wasn't planning on doing anything for planning, heading up, being in the limelight, or otherwise managing or coordinating any event for quite awhile, at least a year or two due to my emergency open heart surgery back in March and the lengthy recovery process thereafter.

But sometimes things don't go always as planned................

NYTransplant and I went to Carroll County Gun Club this past Sunday 12/13/15 to shoot some trap and we/our MDS group was invited back for CCGC's New Year's Day Fun Trap Shoot as we did last January 1st. If you were there in attendance, you know how much fun was had by all. IIRC, we had about 35 MDS'ers show up for the trap shoot. If you weren't there, all that were there would agree you really missed a good time. This is open to all shooters of all ages however minors MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY PARENT/RESPONSIBLE ADULT that's responsible for that minor during their presence at the club. All skill levels are included with this invite from 1st timers to advanced shotgunners just as it was last year. Noobs, yoots, and 1st timers that need direct coaching on the line can receive that from a parent/guardian or a person of choice that knows how to coach and teach the noob, especially a yoot, how to shoot trap with firearms safety at the forefront; remember, firearms safety is paramount!!!. We hadda'lotta' noobs out on the line last time and all enjoyed themselves.

This will occur at the Carroll County Gun Club January 1st, 2016 starting at 11:00 AM on the two lower far edge traps located beyond the club house/parking lot just like last time. The location is on RT 26 just east of RT 97 near Eldersburg at 129 W. Liberty Rd, Eldersburg, MD 21784 (I'll post up a link in this post for Carroll County Gun Club later and here it is--- www.carrollgun.com). One round of trap (25 birds) will cost $4.00, so if you intend to shoot 4 rounds of trap it will cost you $16.00 cash. This shoot is a cash only shoot. Ammo to be used will be no larger than 12 gauge 2 3/4" 3 drams equivalence with 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. Smaller gauge shotties are permitted such as 16, 20, 28, and .410. It is recommended that you bring your own ammo though there will be 12 gauge and IIRC, 20 gauge but don't mark my word on the 20 gauge, available at the club at $7.00 or $8.00 per box of 25 rounds. Minimum barrel length is 24" and a modified choke is recommended on larger gauge guns such as 12 gauge and full choke on smaller gauge guns such as .410. There will be some shotties available for use by MDS members if you don't have a shottie that fits the bill just like last year. There will also be a short safety briefing/range orientation as close to 11:00 AM as possible prior to shooting so it would be a good idea to be there at that time especially if you are not familiar with this sport or have noobs, 1st timers, or youn'uns (yoots) with you.

Bear in mind that this is a *** "Weather Permitting" *** shoot only and is subject to cancellation due to less than decent weather. Last New Year's Day was sunny with highs in the low 40's and was a pleasant day for a shoot. Let's hope the weather will hold out for us again this year and give us a nice day to break in the New Year.

I will be updating this post over the next day or two as time permits. If ya' already know you're in, it should be pretty much the same as last year, jus' put it in there and any +1's, +2's if so be.

*****Make sure you bring eye and ear protection*****

Last edited:

MamaTried

Only me to blame 'cause..
    Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    Sounds like a blast. I'll ask the wife "hey, I'm thinking of skipping that brunch we're hosting to go shoot some shotguns". See how it fares.

Hopefully a couple more will come up through the year :P

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We are staying in town this year for New Year's, so I might be able to make this. My wife has to work at 3:00 in Eldersburg, but I might end up bringing the entire family up there for this if the weather is decent. Have not shot trap since Father's Day, so it might be a little embarrassing, but fun nonetheless.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I had a blast last time... and didn't even shoot... I plan on shooting this time... as long as no one points and giggles at the noob... :o

subscribed... :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm hoping to attend. Will bring at least +1, as my son wants to try his hand at trap. Though my hair is still a little sticky from last year's shoot.....

article-2487457-1931521E00000578-692_634x421.jpg

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I keep threatening that I will make one of these events.... This time I am in, providing the weather isn't too cold. I might bring my daughter. She would need a 20 gauge though. I am going to Walmart tomorrow, will pick up 100 rounds of 12, and 50 of 20. Maybe an IP has nice 20 gauge they want to sell me between now and then.... :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I keep threatening that I will make one of these events.... This time I am in, providing the weather isn't too cold. I might bring my daughter. She would need a 20 gauge though. I am going to Walmart tomorrow, will pick up 100 rounds of 12, and 50 of 20. Maybe an IP has nice 20 gauge they want to sell me between now and then.... :innocent0

I have a two 20 gauge Beretta 391's that your daughter is welcome to use. One is a youth model and the other is a 391 Teknys. They are both semi-autos. Luckily, I am not an IP so I don't have to tell you that they are not for sale.

As the day gets closer, just let me know if you are still going and if you need a 20 gauge for your daughter.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Looks like a reasonable group is forming, about 16 estimated at this point. We still have almost two weeks to go before the shoot so I'm sure this group will grow. Let's hope 'n pray for good weather on the 1st.:)

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have a two 20 gauge Beretta 391's that your daughter is welcome to use. One is a youth model and the other is a 391 Teknys. They are both semi-autos. Luckily, I am not an IP so I don't have to tell you that they are not for sale.

As the day gets closer, just let me know if you are still going and if you need a 20 gauge for your daughter.

Wow that is awesome, I really appreciate it! I will make sure to let you know when we get close. The temp will matter. The female types don't tolerate the cold as much as us male types.....

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Wow that is awesome, I really appreciate it! I will make sure to let you know when we get close. The temp will matter. The female types don't tolerate the cold as much as us male types.....

I am married to a woman that spent a decade in Tampa, Florida before moving to Richmond and then Reston. I fully understand that the female types do not weather the cold as well as the male types. I don't think my wife is adjusted to the weather up here yet. I burn a pile of firewood every winter to keep the house at 74 degrees so she can be comfortable. Happy wife, happy life.

Shooter_Bill

Dec 24, 2010
    Westminster
    Thanks Lou for putting this together again this year!! I had a blast last year. This year I most likely will not make it, Damn Work.... if things change I will be there but that is not likely at this point. Have fun everybody!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom