• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Has anyone had any experience with cutting it close on Maryland Carry Permit renewals? Have they been too strict? I just realized I'm in my 3 month window, and I'm having a hard time finding renewal classes. I just hope I'm not wasting time and money if they are going to be sticklers for this. I thought there was a bill passed stating they will send out a letter when your renewal is near? I just went on the website and they claim they are not. I guess shame on me.... any help/leads from the community on this? Thanks! Wish me luck.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Handgun_Permit

SUBTITLE 2 of the ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE ACT allows:
    If, at least 2 calendar weeks before a license expires, the licensee makes sufficient application for renewal of the license, the license does not expire until the unit takes final action on the application; and either: the time for seeking judicial review of the action expires; or any judicial stay of the unit's final action expires.

Md. STATE GOVERNMENT Code Ann. § 10-226

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Handgun_Permit

SUBTITLE 2 of the ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE ACT allows:
    If, at least 2 calendar weeks before a license expires, the licensee makes sufficient application for renewal of the license, the license does not expire until the unit takes final action on the application; and either: the time for seeking judicial review of the action expires; or any judicial stay of the unit's final action expires.

Md. STATE GOVERNMENT Code Ann. § 10-226
    Thanks for the info CyberPunk... that helps...

Anyone know of a course I can take within the next week? I have a backup class on the 30th.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    2 weeks is the deal (per the smart guys, Cypher and the man himself, Mr. McCauley).

I send mine in about the 45 or so day mark and don't expect to hear anything by my expiration (two days from now).

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I was late. Took class in July 2014. Sent in renewal end of July 2014 and was expiring end of September 2014. On approx. September 28, 2014 I sent and email to MSP licensing division because I had not received anything yet. Response was that my permit had been renewed and that I could continue to carry on my expired permit until I receive renewal.

They do not notify you when approaching expiration, but 2 weeks is the grace period.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I think they are not that strict, but do enforce the rules and regulation. I renewed my last year, and I think I did it within the 90 day period but not sure. As long as nothing has changed, they are pretty quick to to send you a renewal permit.

I dont know if you ever took a CCW class, but the wear and carry class was my first class room type of gun and carrying instruction course, with a real live instructor. Very interesting and the hours go by quick. Very different from watching youtube and internet videos. Hope your instructor is good. I would take the class, but try to go to a class near you, because its was a two day course, and I had to drive to st marys county, from howard county. The MSP guys were good to me.

I lost my license couple months ago, and sent a notarized letter, copy of id and fee, and it came in like two to three weeks. renewal process seem a lot quicker than the initial process.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    10 more days and I'll be at the 2 month mark on mine.

There's nothing in the law that states you must send in the renewal 90 or 120 days prior to your expiration, that's simply made up by the MSP.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have submitted for renewal inside of 2 months twice. Last time I did had to wait about 2 weeks after expiration before receiving my renewed permit, but just recently I submitted at end of July and received my renewed permit today 9/29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom