• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The family will all be here over the holidays, and a trip to the range is on the agenda. Already have Mosin and SKS food in the cupboard, ready to serve, but am still stuffing the main course. 500 rounds of 9x19 reloaded, so far, and another 500 to go. Then it's on to 9x18 and 7.62x25 stuffing ... probably 500 of the first and a thousand of the second.

Ahhh ... thanksgiving shooting with all the trimmin's ... what could be better?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do you shoot in the back yard or travel to the range?
    maybe add some left over Halloween pumpkins filled up with water?

My wife has cousins in town and a range trip is in the plans. Been scarfing up some 223 and 7.62x39 from walmart for past week, though the rest of the cheap Wolf 9x18 I have will see its last days this weekend I think. I told her we need at least 4 hours :)

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I normally always bring a Mosin or K31 (in addition to non-C&R stuff) to my in-laws to use the Savage River Range, but this year it's just a Colt HBAR. :(

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Sounds like fun! My brother will be in town and he wanted to bring his Glock 17 he just picked up to the range. But, I just picked up a Type 53 Mosin and she is ready to go; maybe ill just sit him down with my SKS and a few 20 round mags. That will keep him busy lol.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Do you shoot in the back yard or travel to the range?
    maybe add some left over Halloween pumpkins filled up with water?

My wife has cousins in town and a range trip is in the plans. Been scarfing up some 223 and 7.62x39 from walmart for past week, though the rest of the cheap Wolf 9x18 I have will see its last days this weekend I think. I told her we need at least 4 hours :)

I do both. I have a 75 yd range in the yard (can be stretched to 100), but I generally only use it for testing loads, etc. I used to have it set up very nicely, with a pop-up shelter and tarps to contain the brass, but I lost three shelters to wind storms in about as many months, so I haven't been as motivated to keep it up as I used to. Too many leaves to find brass unless I set up a containment system.

I belong to a private gun club that's 15 minutes away from the house. They have excellent facilities, only rarely does a Range Nazi show up, and the place is seldom crowded. Very good group, with excellent facilities, for a reasonable cost.

Frozen pumpkins sound like a great idea, but I hate cleaning stuff up off the ground. I try very hard to clean up my own mess very well ... and have even been known to clean up boxer-primed brass that others left behind (and I'm not above dumpster diving in the brass barrels, either!).

Sounds like fun. Don't forget to show off General Blingissimo. :)

Of course! But everyone in the family has already seen "The Dictator", and those who wanted to got to shoot one round through it ... just to say they have.

I normally always bring a Mosin or K31 (in addition to non-C&R stuff) to my in-laws to use the Savage River Range, but this year it's just a Colt HBAR. :(

My oldest son got home last night, so we're discussing what's going to the range. My wife will want to start with the Buckmark (just got a brick of .22LR from FedEx yesterday), then move on to her Tok. We'll probably take one Tok. apiece for everyone in the family.

We're also going to take some Mosins: at least one ex-sniper, a 1925 Tula that I haven't shot yet, and whatever else anyone wants to grab. Lots of ammo around for those.

There will also be a couple of Sino-Soviet SKSs ... I've also been picking up Wally World 7.62x39 lately (about the only thing they ever have left if you don't wait in line on certain mornings).

If my .308 plastic training rounds show up today, we'll take the Spanish Mauser that I haven't fired yet. I'll also let my sons put a few rounds through the South African Defense Forces Enfield, but I haven't got a lot of ammo for it. Lovely rifle, but kind of pricey to go out and plink with.

Still loading this morning. I've found that if I load 25 rounds in between other stuff that I have to do, it only take a few minutes and it adds up over the course of a few hours without my eyes crossing or it becoming tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom