Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland

Notices

Old January 12th, 2018, 07:49 AM #1

Go to Gym Ratz in Machanicsville

Guys...first off...I have no business affiliation with them. At all. But..what i do have is a drained bank account!

But here is the deal. I've lived in SOMD for 18 years. I worked in the Gun industry for nearly 10 years. I've seen it all and heard it all when it comes to dealers and Gun sales. (I helped move $60mil in product per year for a very long time for the company international gun company i worked for)

I've dealt with almost every shop in MD/VA from a business standpoint, or from a personal purchase standpoint.

When I joined MDShooters last year I saw someone talk about Gym Ratz being new and small. I was looking for a gun at the time..and messaged John over these forums about a price. Not only did he get back to me very quickly...his price was at least $60 less than any other MD shop...and like $40 less than the cheapest VA shop! (then of course having to do shipment to a MD shop and transfer etc.)

To add to this..his transfer fees are close to half of any other shop. AND..that is only if you buy something outside of his inventory.

If you buy from his stock or a order he makes...he charges $0 for a transfer. A lot of shops in MD don't do that...they will stack a transfer fee on top of the sale.

So..he ordered me a gun...when all was said and done...taxes...MSP fee and all..the gun (a Glock) was nearly $70 LESS that i could have done the deal anywhere else in the state! Or even mail order.

From then...i've bought 3 more guns..and done a transfer for a lower. All of the guns have cost me at least 10%-15% less than even mail order after all the transaction stuff was done. This is GOOD business. He is also a Notary...and is getting into supressors and other awesome products. Yes his shop is small...but..he will order anything...and runs deals here in the industry partners forum almost weekly.

The kicker for me was a problem we had with some paperwork. A failed trip to see him was my cost. On the return he took care of me on something (keeping it secret!) in a way that has made me a customer FOREVER. Because of his advice i'm a designated collector now..and will be buying more from him in the future.

I did customer service for 20+ year for various companies...and when i see someone who treats their customers as well as he has treated me (And whose prices can't be beat)..I have to tell people about it.

If you want to order a gun or see what he has in stock..go see John...you will be as happy as I am! (Well...as BROKE at least! )

Here is his info..

Address: 28943 Three Notch Rd #3, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone: (240) 249-3756

Dan
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:18 AM #2
Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD2004 View Post
Guys...first off...I have no business affiliation with them. At all. But..what i do have is a drained bank account!

But here is the deal. I've lived in SOMD for 18 years. I worked in the Gun industry for nearly 10 years. I've seen it all and heard it all when it comes to dealers and Gun sales. (I helped move $60mil in product per year for a very long time for the company international gun company i worked for)

I've dealt with almost every shop in MD/VA from a business standpoint, or from a personal purchase standpoint.

When I joined MDShooters last year I saw someone talk about Gym Ratz being new and small. I was looking for a gun at the time..and messaged John over these forums about a price. Not only did he get back to me very quickly...his price was at least $60 less than any other MD shop...and like $40 less than the cheapest VA shop! (then of course having to do shipment to a MD shop and transfer etc.)

To add to this..his transfer fees are close to half of any other shop. AND..that is only if you buy something outside of his inventory.

If you buy from his stock or a order he makes...he charges $0 for a transfer. A lot of shops in MD don't do that...they will stack a transfer fee on top of the sale.

So..he ordered me a gun...when all was said and done...taxes...MSP fee and all..the gun (a Glock) was nearly $70 LESS that i could have done the deal anywhere else in the state! Or even mail order.

From then...i've bought 3 more guns..and done a transfer for a lower. All of the guns have cost me at least 10%-15% less than even mail order after all the transaction stuff was done. This is GOOD business. He is also a Notary...and is getting into supressors and other awesome products. Yes his shop is small...but..he will order anything...and runs deals here in the industry partners forum almost weekly.

The kicker for me was a problem we had with some paperwork. A failed trip to see him was my cost. On the return he took care of me on something (keeping it secret!) in a way that has made me a customer FOREVER. Because of his advice i'm a designated collector now..and will be buying more from him in the future.

I did customer service for 20+ year for various companies...and when i see someone who treats their customers as well as he has treated me (And whose prices can't be beat)..I have to tell people about it.

If you want to order a gun or see what he has in stock..go see John...you will be as happy as I am! (Well...as BROKE at least! )

Here is his info..

Address: 28943 Three Notch Rd #3, Mechanicsville, MD 20659
Phone: (240) 249-3756

Dan
I can only whole-heartedly agree with the above. Your experience mirrors mine.
John and his entire family (and he DOES seemingly employ his entire family ) are wonderful to deal with

Antaa tulla vaan!
h2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:24 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2u View Post
I can only whole-heartedly agree with the above. Your experience mirrors mine.
John and his entire family (and he DOES seemingly employ his entire family ) are wonderful to deal with
yep the whole clan seems to pitch in from time to time
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:31 AM #4

All of these stellar reviews of GymRatz, plus some of the awesome deals he posts on here makes me wanna take a scenic drive from Carroll County to SoMD
hornbakerfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:36 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornbakerfella View Post
All of these stellar reviews of GymRatz, plus some of the awesome deals he posts on here makes me wanna take a scenic drive from Carroll County to SoMD

Here is what you need to know though. His shop is VERY small. Not a ton to see there. Best idea is to call him and see what he has you may be interested in. And/or see his price on something you are looking for. His main business is weekly deals/packages he puts together..posts about..and than people stop in to pick up stuff. He clears out/turns over his inventory quick. But a drive down would be better for you if you talked to him first about something you wanted...just an FYI.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:53 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD2004 View Post
Here is what you need to know though. His shop is VERY small. Not a ton to see there. Best idea is to call him and see what he has you may be interested in. And/or see his price on something you are looking for. His main business is weekly deals/packages he puts together..posts about..and than people stop in to pick up stuff. He clears out/turns over his inventory quick. But a drive down would be better for you if you talked to him first about something you wanted...just an FYI.
Good heads up, thanks. Iím looking at some of his deals now and setting something up. Thanks again.
hornbakerfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:05 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornbakerfella View Post
Good heads up, thanks. Iím looking at some of his deals now and setting something up. Thanks again.
very welcome! I'm not discouraging from anyone from going to see John in person at the shop....just if you live a long way away..a long trip may be better served by a call first. But every time i go he has something else i see and want..it's a bad thing i'm only 20 mins away!
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:06 AM #8

Gymratz’s is a great shop!!
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

NRA life member
Va ccw
Fla ccw
MSI
44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:24 AM #9

Gym Ratz also posts on Armslist.com. I usually see his wares there.
Zombie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:26 PM #10

John, his shop and employees are great.

jt2100r is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Southern Maryland