Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Western Maryland

Notices

Old December 27th, 2017, 08:29 AM #1
ZFG

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
ZFG

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Beware this Ford dealership in Grantsville

My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehlís Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesnít drive a lot and sheís only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincolnís head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehlís Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.

CNN is ISIS
Alphabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 08:37 AM #2
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:11 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
I was Christmas shopping at Costco with my daughter and when I walked her out to her car she had a flat tire with a gash in it. No problem hon let's go into the tire shop and they'll put a new one on. Nope, they told us since it was a four wheel drive SUV they'd have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and replace all four at once.

BS! How many miles did she have on them? They do recommend getting them in pairs. My Ford Explorer had 16k when one of my 20" Hancooks had a flat. Was able to purchase only one from the dealer. Still close to $300.
Mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:24 AM #4
Удачи!

Удачи!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabrew View Post
My mother in law is leasing a Ford Escape from Diehlís Ford in Grantsville (Garrett County). She doesnít drive a lot and sheís only had the car about a year, so I was surprised that they told her she needed new tires already. They told her that the factory tires are not very high quality and wear quickly as a result. They said they would replace the tires for $500, which is quite a bit of money for her since she is old and not working. She came down to the lowlands for Christmas and I took a look at her tires, and they appear to me to have plenty of tread. I put a penny in the grooves of all four tires and the tread is well over Lincolnís head. There is no way these tires need to be replaced, they are hardly worn at all.

I think Diehlís Ford is preying on old ladies. Beware if you do any business with them. IMHO, this dealership is criminal in their dealings. Just a heads up.
That's some scumbag BS. I'd call Ford and just to be a jerk, I'd call the manufacturer of those OEM tires (probably Continental) and report that dealer for disparaging their product and lying to the customer. Ford has been YUUUUUGE on tires sales/service as a means to retain customers on their Service Drive. If they have some ding dongs in Grantsville pulling that kind of nonsense on elderly customers, they should suffer the consequences.

Get an e-mail address, forward photos of the tire tread/depth and their recommendation to replace directly to Ford. I can almost guarantee that you'll get satisfaction.
Zzzzz_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:25 AM #5

Quote:
This isnít uncommon with big retailers. They must follow all manufacture recommendations (car and tire) or they open themselves up to lawsuits. When I went to Costco for tires, they wouldnít sell me anything but the highest speed rating tires for my car which were of course the most expensive version. I challenged them asking why I would be required to buy tire with a speed rating over 150 mph when I obviously couldnít drive that fast anywhere AND my car is electronically limited to 135 (from the factory anyway ). All I could get was that they had to follow all manufacture recommendations. I got nothing more than the explanation of ďCostco policyĒ. I ended up buying those tires because they were really good tires and they ended up being significantly cheaper than even ordering the lower grade tires online.

I did verify that VWís recommendation matches what the Costco rep stated. Iím guessing itís a left over from their recommendations for those in Europe that actually get to drive cars the way they were designed. You canít expect the person at the register to bend any rules for you, there is simply no upside for them for doing it and there is a lot of downside...like losing their job for not following process.
GolfR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 09:31 AM #6
I wanna go fast

I wanna go fast

Sounds like she just got a bad service writer. Some dealers give bonuses for selling tires, as well as batteries and fluid services. Unfortunately this results in some writers getting a bit predatory.

Keep an eye on her mail and email for a survey from Ford. Slam him on the survey and he'll likely feel it on his paycheck.

ďDriving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's whatís fun.Ē ĖMatt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:01 PM #7
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:05 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
You mean all wheel drive? My buddy has a 2016 Suburban and it's AWD. Damaged 1 tire/wheel and had to get all the tires replaced because of that. I forgot the reason for it. Something about even 1 tire higher/uneven to the others tread depth screws up the whole thing.
Uneven tread causes the tires to rotate at slightly different speeds, which the computer reads as a traction variance and engages the AWD differential. And since the uneven tread is always there making the AWD differential mechanism run constantly it burns it up. Or so I am told.

I think Subaru systems and a couple of others are noted for this. I used to replace my AWD BMW tires in pairs and never had an issue. But that's a different system.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:16 PM #9
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:31 PM #10
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
I don't know. It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's been a money pit from day one.
My 2015 Trailhawk sure was. I ditched it for my new 4 Runner.

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Western Maryland