Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety

Notices

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:08 AM #1

Exclamation D.C., Maryland, Virginia CCW Class

The Md. Small Arms Range is offering a class for DC, Maryland and Virginia Concealed Carry Permits. Visit their website for more information. Click on "Classes" and scroll down to the "Wear & Carry" class. See: http://msar.com

Visit our website for other classes, information, etc. http://www.guard-training.com Or call Ph: 301-899-3079

Classes held at the Md. Small Arms Range, 9801 Fallard Court, Upper Marlboro, Md.

See website for info on HQL, Utah CFP and Beginner's classes. http://www.msar.com
ASTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM #2

I have just learned that the MSAR is offering a "New Year's Special" price for this class. See their website for details.

Visit our website for other classes, information, etc. http://www.guard-training.com Or call Ph: 301-899-3079

Classes held at the Md. Small Arms Range, 9801 Fallard Court, Upper Marlboro, Md.

See website for info on HQL, Utah CFP and Beginner's classes. http://www.msar.com
ASTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM #3
"Smart Girl"

"Smart Girl"

I should have waited, just paid 25% more, but that was still a good deal. The deal now is, fantastic. Anyone needing DC & MD, I recommend this, check out the price.

You get both DC & MD 16hr with range qualification.
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:02 PM #4

Repeatedly Swept at MSAR

I took the MD, DC, VA CCW course, offered through ASTC. While Mo, the instructor was great, my experience at MSAR, where the class was offered, was not too great.

This was a two-day course (Sat. & Sun.). On Saturday, the place was very busy. There was a wait for people to shoot. A couple of schmucks, sitting in the waiting area chairs, had their ARs out and one repeatedly swept the elevator area (the only way to go upstairs to the classroom).

This is the kind of thing that made me no longer a member at On Target. I suppose that this is to be expected at public ranges?
songlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:58 PM #5
aka R56 Ed

aka R56 Ed

There were at least two more MDSers there, Klunatic and me. Nice to meet you, Song.

I agree with your assessment of the range facility... but I don't like indoor ranges anyway. The clientele at MSAR seems to be from the inner city, and there were a lot of folks who seemed like newbies on dates. I think that learning to shoot is a good thing, but I'd rather be somewhere else when that happens.

Definitely want to give a shout out to Mo, our instructor. 40+ years as a professional instructor, most of that as LEO. Laid back about terminology, unlike NRA classes and instructors, and he's got a lot of neat stories. Yes, he has a few rules: don't be late coming to class, and don't do anything on the range unless he tells you to. Other than that he's pretty easy going. I'd gladly take more classes from him. Pleasant surprise was that our qualifying target was a full size silhouette. My only negative observation was that our classroom was COLD! It was in the teens outside, and not much better inside.

I took the MD CCW course from another vendor last year, NOT an IP, located in Millersville, store name often disparaged, taught by retired LEO. $500, plus range fees. Not cheap. Significant misinformation taught in that class, including what they insisted was a legal prohibition on transporting loaded mags. The class was $300 for the two day classroom portion, plus $200 for the range part. Add to that we had to pay for the range rental individually (at On Target), as it wasn't covered in the class fee! And the target we had to qualify on was a 10" bull if I remember correctly.

Bottom line: if you want to take a CCW class, go to MSAR and ask for Mo.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:48 PM #6
Banned

Banned

oh boy am i going to get in trouble here , seriously in TROUBLE with these board bullies and other likeminded folks. but i have to comment on the info thus inputted. and i am going to get into enough trouble, i may get BANNED AGAIN, if so guys, thats the way it is with fraternities. i'll be replying a tad bit later on the serious topic of the overall introspection of what i can assess from the few responses on this thread, thus far. PLEASE STAY TUNED. if you read no reply from me here, good chance i got booted for TOS or something and my reply was erased.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:00 AM #7
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
oh boy am i going to get in trouble here , seriously in TROUBLE with these board bullies and other likeminded folks. but i have to comment on the info thus inputted. and i am going to get into enough trouble, i may get BANNED AGAIN, if so guys, thats the way it is with fraternities. i'll be replying a tad bit later on the serious topic of the overall introspection of what i can assess from the few responses on this thread, thus far. PLEASE STAY TUNED. if you read no reply from me here, good chance i got booted for TOS or something and my reply was erased.
Oh boy. LOL
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:18 AM #8
"Smart Girl"

"Smart Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Oh boy. LOL

I was at MSAR too. Was in the retail area, guys hanging around. One person in my class brought a Glock 40. He was carrying the case and another asked to see it. So, the guy opens his case (and I start sauntering away now..) to "show him". The showee.. surprised even the owner, he reached right in the case quickly, pulled out the gun waving it around. I nudged a guy next to me while walking away to follow. He was not concerned at all, but my take is I don't want to be around that. I don't think the fundamentals of gun safety is something many the patrons there have ever met. I've been to many ranges, and only two I've been to, I've not seen something commensurate to that happening.
Schipperke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:23 AM #9
aka R56 Ed

aka R56 Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Oh boy. LOL
Welcome back!
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:55 PM #10

UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by songlaw View Post
I took the MD, DC, VA CCW course, offered through ASTC. While Mo, the instructor was great, my experience at MSAR, where the class was offered, was not too great.

This was a two-day course (Sat. & Sun.). On Saturday, the place was very busy. There was a wait for people to shoot. A couple of schmucks, sitting in the waiting area chairs, had their ARs out and one repeatedly swept the elevator area (the only way to go upstairs to the classroom).

This is the kind of thing that made me no longer a member at On Target. I suppose that this is to be expected at public ranges?

***UPDATE***
I received a phone call from a Jim Lucas, at MSAR. He regretted my experience at MSAR, and asked for the approximate time that this happened, so that he could check his video.

He seemed genuinely concerned about preventing this kind of thing from happening. I appreciated the call.

I hope he finds the culprits, and deals with them severely.

I used to go to the old MSAR, about 30 years ago. This past weekend was my first time at the new facility. The facility is very nice. I was not knocking the facility, but the two knuckleheads within, behaving poorly.
songlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety