• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not rifle counties, rifle on public lands. Not many of them in B.

All public land in Frederick allows rifle. Frederick city watershed has for a long time. I confirmed with Seneca Creek SP headquarters that Monocacy also allows it now. Cunningham has for a long time also.

Carroll and cecil appears to be the only one on the list where most public land does not allow it.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    The place will probably be a deer ghost town by this weekend but you know what's really stupid? All of the Central Region WMA's, aside from Hanover Watershed are shotgun only. Even the ones in Cecil and Carroll counties. That is complete and udder bullsh*t. Rifle hunting rounds are far more likely to disintegrate upon impacting a hard object where shotgun rounds are more likely to ricochet off the the unknown because of their much slower velocity. And your shotgun might shoot 1.5'' groups with one lot of ammo and 6'' groups with the next. Just bullcrap.

Yup. My muzzle loader and slug gun are tack drivers. The slug gun in particular Savage 212 is tight. Its just brutal to shoot vs my 308 with the silencerco omega on the end. And much more neighbor friendly. Horse lady would not be able to complain about that one.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Is a regular md hunting license all that’s needed to hunt public lands with a rifle? I’d like to try Frederick county public lands or carrol county sometime. Can anyone recommend a good place around there?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    All public land in Frederick allows rifle. Frederick city watershed has for a long time. I confirmed with Seneca Creek SP headquarters that Monocacy also allows it now. Cunningham has for a long time also.

Carroll and cecil appears to be the only one on the list where most public land does not allow it.

Gravel Hill Swamp WMA Archery hunting only
    Ridenour Swamp WMA Archery hunting only
    Urbana FMA Archery hunting only

All in Frederick County

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gravel Hill Swamp WMA Archery hunting only
    Ridenour Swamp WMA Archery hunting only
    Urbana FMA Archery hunting only

All in Frederick County

Huh, didn’t realize those were there. Not sure about the others, but isn’t Urbana FMA in the Frederick city no rifle zone itself?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Huh, didn’t realize those were there. Not sure about the others, but isn’t Urbana FMA in the Frederick city no rifle zone itself?

IDK I was just looking in this years hunting guide under public land and seen those. Deer with a rifle is on my bucket list.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IDK I was just looking in this years hunting guide under public land and seen those. Deer with a rifle is on my bucket list.

I don’t know. I am all about sporting and ethical hunting, but I prefer my deer not to be bearing arms.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016

There is just something satisfying about a bang/flop sometimes. You will like it. Almost as awesome as bow in the snow. Almost.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Is a regular md hunting license all that’s needed to hunt public lands with a rifle? I’d like to try Frederick county public lands or carrol county sometime. Can anyone recommend a good place around there?

Yes, that's all that's needed unless you plan to hunt during archery or muzzleloader seasons. Then you need those stamps.
    Frederick Watershed is huge but pretty heavily hunted during firearms season. Cunningham Falls SP (my ole stomping grounds) is busy on opening day and Saturday's. Go during the week if you can swing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom