• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Do dual-slot shooters usually shoot their thangs back to back, or spread it out in the squad’s order? Curious.

Those shooting two guns will shoot one first and then the rest of the competitors will shoot and then those shooting either a second pistol or PCC will shoot. You won't shoot two guns back to back.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Steel Challenge rules state that a carbine must be just that and that SIG braces etc. are not allowed. You can definitely shoot this but obviously will have to be from the Low Ready position.

Here is a link to the rules which will answer any questions regarding optics:

https://uspsa.org/viewer/2019_SCSA_Rulebook.pdf

thanks! I had not made it to the appendices, yet, but I see that note now. SBRs are ok tho...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Only 15 slots left.

For those of you who are new to the action shooting sports the best piece of advice I can give you is to practice your draw. Empty firearm of course, strap on whichever holster you will be using, focus on a "target" about 5 yds away and with hands in the "surrender" position (both hands above the shoulders) practice drawing the firearm, getting a proper grip and sights on target. If you can have someone time you all the better, ideally this would take no more than 1.5 seconds.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Rimfire and long guns shoot from low ready position no draw. Safety does not have to be engaged in long guns or rimfire before the buzzer goes off. 1911 and the like must have the safety on before the buzzer goes off. Firearms with striker-fire are fine. Firearms that are multi-mode with a hammer will be de-cocked if that mode is available or double action only. Technically SC uses the same firearm rules as USPSA so there are holster regulations and magazine length rules. Holster regs fall into 2 categories, 2-3/8" from the inner belt to the firearm, Production, Iron sight Revolver, Single Stack, and Carry Optics, and 3-3/8" from the inner belt everything else. No full race holsters in the 2-3/8" group. As for magazines if 10 rd. ones is all you have those are OK in every division. Can't use things like 30+ round P18 Glock mags even in Open division as the limit is 170mm in length (about 28 rounds in a legal 9mm one). Most only load 10-12 rds per mag in any division with an optic if you have 5 mags or more. If not load what you have to max.
    You need some kind of marker in front of the starting box around 10 feet in front. Anything from a sign on a small stand or just something laying on the ground like a steel plate. that is for rimfire and long guns. Rimfires of all types are allowed compensators, whether open or iron sights so that the timers can pick them up better. No firearms with binary triggers, full-auto, or burst modes or suppressors. That is a much as I can remember of the rule book.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd love to give this a try, never done anything like it. On the other hand, getting up at 0630 for entertainment is not gonna happen. It was bad enough doing it for money.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'd love to give this a try, never done anything like it. On the other hand, getting up at 0630 for entertainment is not gonna happen. It was bad enough doing it for money.

You should do it! It’s very good fun.

And about getting up early: as nice as sleeping in is, nothing compares to a nap after having a funday shooting. Priorities, man!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I get up at 0430 on match mornings so I don't have to rush getting my gear out to my car. I get spun up enough just driving to places, don't need the added stress.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I get up at 0430 on match mornings so I don't have to rush getting my gear out to my car. I get spun up enough just driving to places, don't need the added stress.

Hell's bells, I don't get to sleep until 0330!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Only 15 slots left.

For those of you who are new to the action shooting sports the best piece of advice I can give you is to practice your draw. Empty firearm of course, strap on whichever holster you will be using, focus on a "target" about 5 yds away and with hands in the "surrender" position (both hands above the shoulders) practice drawing the firearm, getting a proper grip and sights on target. If you can have someone time you all the better, ideally this would take no more than 1.5 seconds.

This, times 100! I don't do it nearly as much as I should :o Very often, after the buzzer sounds and as the pistol is just clearing the holster, my brain is screaming, "Sh!t! :ohnoes: We don't have a good grip on this thing! Fixit fixit FIXIT! :eek: Your sights aren't going to be aligned where you thinking they are unless you fix your grip! Fixit fixit! FIXIT!!!:shocked2:"

That is not conducive to slow, smooth, or fast...:sad20:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks for the reminder. I just registered. I’ve been looking forward to trying this out for a while.

I do have a question. I registered for open because I have a Deltapoint on my G34. However if I can get a new holster and some more mags for my CZ I would like to switch to production. Would that be possible?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the reminder. I just registered. I’ve been looking forward to trying this out for a while.

I do have a question. I registered for open because I have a Deltapoint on my G34. However if I can get a new holster and some more mags for my CZ I would like to switch to production. Would that be possible?

Yes. Just let us know in advance.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Only one slot left, get it while it's hot.

All 40 slots have been spoken for. We are going to go ahead and add 8 more for a total of 48.

If you have registered and find out later that you aren't going to be able to make it, then please be sure to withdraw. We had 5 no shows at our IDPA event and 6 at the 3 gun event last weekend. Those guys are now on the naughty list now and will get wait listed the next go around. Same policy will be implemented for no shows of this match, especially since it is full and not showing may prevent someone else from participating.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Question for the experienced shooters.

This is my first steel challenge match so my goal is to win, but short of that my fallback goal is to not come in dead last.

Is there any reason not to shoot in the open division?

If I can pickup some 17rnd mags tomorrow for my CZ would change to production, but if not I’m limited in which guns I have equipment for.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

This is my first steel challenge match so my goal is to win, but short of that my fallback goal is to not come in dead last.

If I can pickup some 17rnd mags tomorrow for my CZ would change to production, but if not I’m limited in which guns I have equipment for.

Looks to me that you just changed yourself to open

At this point, there are only 10 guys in the open division and 20 in production. So, depending on how you look at it, you have a lot better shot of NOT coming in last if you shoot production.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Which CZ? I’ll be there and could loan you three for the day if we’re a match.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

In all seriousness, I have a feeling that this is the first steel challenge for a lot of us. Your division nor what place you finish here are very important at this match. What is vital is that you have a good time and I promise you that you will.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Looks to me that you just changed yourself to open

At this point, there are only 10 guys in the open division and 20 in production. So, depending on how you look at it, you have a lot better shot of NOT coming in last if you shoot production.

I was already registered as Open because thats the equipment I have. I mean I have a G34 with a Dot, decent holster, mag pouch and plenty of 17rnd mags. However I was under the impression that Open is harder/more competitive and that most new shooters start out with production guns.

As for coming in last, if it happens it happens. I’m a 52yr old guy trying to live like a 26yr old. Just looking to learn a little more about my shooting limitations and strengths while having fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom