Good gunsmith for S&W revolvers near Richmond?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    My mother would like to possibly have some trigger work done on her S&W 642 HD/carry gun (she’s 68 and the DA pull is a bit much for her now). She’s in Aylett which is sorta between Richmond and Tappahannock. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in or near those areas that can go to and trust? She’s willing to travel a little if needed (1 1/2 - 2 hours max) as my dad and her like to get out and do stuff.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    Big dogs in king George have 2 good gunsmiths.

Thanks! I am familiar with them and knew they had gotten a GS but wasn’t sure if he/she was any good. Glad to hear it’s two now and they’re good.

I did some research and it actually seems very easy to swap the springs out in the j-frames and spring kits are inexpensive. I am going to do the spring swap for her and polish a few little bits with a stone to see if that works better for her. If she needs more then I will send her to Big Dogs.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    While you have it apart, polish the frictional surfaces inside until any machine marks are gone. This along with stoning the surfaces on the moving parts will result in a buttery smooth trigger even with the original springs.

Please, do not pry the cover from the frame! A few light taps on the opposite side of the frame with a plastic mallet should make it pop right off after the screws have been removed. There are lots of good videos on the disassembly. Be careful not to make the trigger too light on SA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom