Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Shotguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2018, 05:39 PM #1
willtill's Avatar
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
willtill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
TriStar Raptor ATAC

I picked up a TriStar Raptor ATAC 12 gauge semi auto from Gym Ratz yesterday (special order). Took it out to the AGC today to break it in with 25 rounds of 00 buckshot (TriStar recommends heavy loads to break it in):



She cycled the 25 rounds flawlessly; and I also ran 30 rounds of 7 shot through it with no FTFs.

However there are some issues with it.

1. It has an external choke, and true to what I read about these guns, it would start working loose after several rounds. Good thing I brought the choke wrench with me. I just got done cleaning it, and I wrapped one layer of Teflon tape around the threads of the choke. If that doesn’t work, I may just Lock it since I don’t plan to use different chokes on this particular gun

2. The screws holding the picatanny rail loosened up as well. I will Lock Tite those later

3. The magazines cap which holds the foreend on loosens too. I may wrap the threads for it with Teflon tape as well.

All in all, a great bargain for a fun Turkish shotgun. Chromed barrel, chromed gas piston; the fit and finish are very good, and I see myself taking this out quite a bit to the range.

I am yet undecided if I am going to extend the magazine for an additional three rounds though. Many other Raptor owners have done so, but it required trimming a couple of threads off of the current magazine tube in order to fully seat an aftermarket magazine extension.


.
__________________
21 years Army (retired)
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

-Dolly Parton
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 07:16 PM #2
Nnztg8r's Avatar
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
Nnztg8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
I picked up a TriStar Raptor ATAC 12 gauge semi auto from Gym Ratz yesterday (special order). Took it out to the AGC today to break it in with 25 rounds of 00 buckshot (TriStar recommends heavy loads to break it in):



She cycled the 25 rounds flawlessly; and I also ran 30 rounds of 7 shot through it with no FTFs.

However there are some issues with it.

1. It has an external choke, and true to what I read about these guns, it would start working loose after several rounds. Good thing I brought the choke wrench with me. I just got done cleaning it, and I wrapped one layer of Teflon tape around the threads of the choke. If that doesn’t work, I may just Lock it since I don’t plan to use different chokes on this particular gun

2. The screws holding the picatanny rail loosened up as well. I will Lock Tite those later

3. The magazines cap which holds the foreend on loosens too. I may wrap the threads for it with Teflon tape as well.

All in all, a great bargain for a fun Turkish shotgun. Chromed barrel, chromed gas piston; the fit and finish are very good, and I see myself taking this out quite a bit to the range.

I am yet undecided if I am going to extend the magazine for an additional three rounds though. Many other Raptor owners have done so, but it required trimming a couple of threads off of the current magazine tube in order to fully seat an aftermarket magazine extension.


.
Good looking gun.

If you’re gonna get another one, please give me a heads up first. I’ll drop my broker a note to buy Loctite stock.
__________________
I endeavor to be but half the man my dogs believe me to be.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 07:33 PM #3
willtill's Avatar
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
willtill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnztg8r View Post
Good looking gun.

If you’re gonna get another one, please give me a heads up first. I’ll drop my broker a note to buy Loctite stock.
Ha!



.
__________________
21 years Army (retired)
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

-Dolly Parton
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 07:44 PM #4
willtill's Avatar
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
willtill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
One thing that I wanted to add, is that this is the first shotgun I’ve fired with a pistol grip. I discovered after quite a few rounds that it aids in keeping the buttplate pressed into your shoulder I think it’s better than holding the wrist of the stock and trying to do the same...


.
__________________
21 years Army (retired)
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

-Dolly Parton
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2018, 08:10 PM #5
John from MD's Avatar
John from MD John from MD is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USSR Maryland
Posts: 5,877
John from MD John from MD is online now
Senior Member
John from MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USSR Maryland
Posts: 5,877
Having owned a couple of Tristars, I for one believe they are an excellent buy for what you get. Those with wood stocks have really nice wood and great checkering. They use Beretta mobile chokes so there is plenty of selection out there.
__________________
John
Vietnam '72 - '73

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 04:42 PM #6
willtill's Avatar
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
willtill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
Man...

...I just got done using Loctite on the four picatinny rail screws. Though I discovered that the third screw to the rear of the receiver was previously stripped.

I'm going to see how it holds up during the next couple of outings with it; if the picatinny rail comes loose again, I'll retap all screw holes with a large size, and counterbore the rail itself for large screws.


.
__________________
21 years Army (retired)
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

-Dolly Parton
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:38 PM #7
Nnztg8r's Avatar
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
Nnztg8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
...I just got done using Loctite on the four picatinny rail screws. Though I discovered that the third screw to the rear of the receiver was previously stripped.

I'm going to see how it holds up during the next couple of outings with it; if the picatinny rail comes loose again, I'll retap all screw holes with a large size, and counterbore the rail itself for large screws.


.
If you don’t have a counterbore or a tool, just ask...I can recommend a couple members... Lord only knows, we’ve got some boring tools lingering hereabouts.
__________________
I endeavor to be but half the man my dogs believe me to be.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...

Last edited by Nnztg8r; June 19th, 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:58 AM #8
willtill's Avatar
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
willtill willtill is offline
Senior Member
willtill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,304
Me shoulder is STILL sore after shooting this monster. ...need a friendlier butt stock pad


.
__________________
21 years Army (retired)
...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

-Dolly Parton
willtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 07:53 AM #9
Nnztg8r's Avatar
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Nnztg8r Nnztg8r is offline
Extinguished member
Nnztg8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods...on a hill
Posts: 15,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
Me shoulder is STILL sore after shooting this monster. ...need a friendlier butt stock pad


.
I’ll bet. 12G full loads will plumb wear a fella out...
__________________
I endeavor to be but half the man my dogs believe me to be.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:11 AM #10
Sirex's Avatar
Sirex Sirex is offline
Powered by natural gas
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 5,543
Images: 1
Sirex Sirex is offline
Powered by natural gas
Sirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 5,543
Images: 1
I have 2 TriStars, a Viper G2 Silver I use when shooting clays, and a tactical Tec 12 shotgun. The Viper is a gas gun, the Tec 12 an inertia/pump gun copied from the M3 I believe. My picatinny rail on my Tec 12 popped off, and I ended up drilling teeny tiny divets into the to of the dovetail rail it attaches too, then loctited the screws as well. So far, so good. My only complaint is the stock seems to have a longer length of pull than my others. My M2 tactical is perfect, but this one seems a tad longer, and their is no aftermarket support for the Tec 12. The Viper so far has been perfect. I kinda wish I could blame my poor showing on the gun somehow, but can't. I bought the Viper mainly based on looks, but I did read the reviews, which were pretty good. I don't know how much the Raptor shares with the Tec 12, but I don't see anyone making aftermarket stocks for the Tec 12.
__________________
A student said to the master in the garden, "You teach me fighting, but talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."


"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Last edited by Sirex; August 12th, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Shotguns


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service