Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 10th, 2018, 04:46 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMexicanBob View Post
I have two .44 Magnums...a 6" and 4" Colt Anacondas (4" is factory MagnaPorted). Both are excellent handguns but expensive today due to being snake guns. I've had both since the early '90s. There are some excellent .44 Magnum revolvers out there. In my experience, I've either owned or had the opportunity to shoot examples from Colt, S&W and Ruger...I've no experience with Taurus .44 so I can't give an informed opinion on that. My own experience is that the S&W is the smoothest and best handling, the Rugers (either Redhawk or Blackhawk) are the strongest and the Colt is the most accurate. Even then...the differences are very slim between them and all are more than accurate and strong for the purpose. Individual shooting style and ability can affect those conclusions on my part as well. As often said...your mileage may vary.
Those are some purdy shooting irons right there. When my grandparents neighbor died, his widow didnít know what to do with his guns. The two that I remember the most were a Luger that was a bring back from ww2 with original holster and a beautiful colt python 357. At word of her giving them away my uncle swooped in and scooped them up. It was before I knew what they were value wise. He ended up selling them for next to nothing soon after. Still makes me angry to think about it.
firemn260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:49 PM #12

I have a Nickel Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel that I bought from a friend about 1980ish. It was love at first sight LOL! I still have the original grips and wooden presentation box it came in. I put a set of Pachmayrs on it when I first got it.
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:17 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
I have a Nickel Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel that I bought from a friend about 1980ish. It was love at first sight LOL! I still have the original grips and wooden presentation box it came in. I put a set of Pachmayrs on it when I first got it.
Awesome karma. I am in.
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM #14
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Garrett Co Hooligan #1

There are many quality and fun 44 mag revolvers to choose from. My go-to is my old Dan Wesson. We've been together for many years and know each other well. Always impressive at the range.

Another you don't see all the time is my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. It's always a crowd pleaser...

Find a 44 you like and you will build a lifelong relationship...

Good luck!

Attached Images

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:07 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
There are many quality and fun 44 mag revolvers to choose from. My go-to is my old Dan Wesson. We've been together for many years and know each other well. Always impressive at the range.

Another you don't see all the time is my Ruger Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. It's always a crowd pleaser...

Find a 44 you like and you will build a lifelong relationship...

Good luck!

I like the idea of being able switch barrels like that. Just curious, does it change the poi much when going back and fourth from barrel to barrel?
firemn260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:37 PM #16

7 days to go before I pick up my S&W Performance Center .44 Magnum will post pics
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:47 PM #17
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMexicanBob View Post
I have two .44 Magnums...a 6" and 4" Colt Anacondas (4" is factory MagnaPorted). Both are excellent handguns but expensive today due to being snake guns. I've had both since the early '90s. There are some excellent .44 Magnum revolvers out there. In my experience, I've either owned or had the opportunity to shoot examples from Colt, S&W and Ruger...I've no experience with Taurus .44 so I can't give an informed opinion on that. My own experience is that the S&W is the smoothest and best handling, the Rugers (either Redhawk or Blackhawk) are the strongest and the Colt is the most accurate. Even then...the differences are very slim between them and all are more than accurate and strong for the purpose. Individual shooting style and ability can affect those conclusions on my part as well. As often said...your mileage may vary.

Beautiful. Even though pricy, the Anacondas are still relatively reasonable. ESP when compared to the Pythons. An Anaconda is on my short list.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:49 PM #18
Удачи!

Удачи!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemn260 View Post
Thanks for the input gents. I have been searching around and it seems the model 29s are still bringing 8 to 900 range. I even checked out the newer 29 classic I think itís called and thatís almost a grand new!
I hope to come across someone some day that maybe shot it a few times and put it up because they canít handle it. A guy can hope right? I have settled on a 29 or 629 though. I thought about a single action but I just love the nostalgia of a classic model 29 or any s&w for that matter.
Be patient. I lusted for a 6" Model 629 and bought a new one a couple of years ago. Biggest POS I ever bought. Well, maybe the second biggest POS? After three trips back to S&W for warranty repairs and being returned to me with the same damn problem every time (cylinder binding using .44 Magnum loads), I gave up. I sold it to a friend with full disclosure and took about a 60% hit on what I originally paid ($869). Fvck it. Lesson learned.

It took a little over two years to find an original Model 29-2 and when I did, I fell bass ackwards into it and got a near-mint condition gun as a reward for my patience and diligence. I recommend a similar course if you're leaning towards a Model 29. The new ones are but mere shadows of their former selves.

YMMV
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:54 PM #19

Not sure how far United Gun Shop is from you but they had a S&W 629 for sale and I’m not sure if it is still but it was listed in their consignment section on this page about 3/4 the way down. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...79463&page=176
Clifjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:55 PM #20

I had 3 Redhawks, 2 S&W 29’s and 2 Super Blacjhawks. I still own one of each. 7.5” Super Blackhawk, 5.5” ss Redhawk, and a 6.5” 629 DX. All three are highly accurate and reliable. That is my all time favorite round. The Redhawk my favorite handgun.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns