• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    I don’t profess to know what other states consider “under the influence” but as pertaining to carrying here in NC it is anything above 0.0. We can carry where alcohol is sold but no drinkee.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    MSP allows its officers to go to bars and have a drink while carrying. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Keep in mind what RoadDawg says above, he is correct.

Do they have an actual written policy on this? I know troopers in MA were required to be armed at all times, even off duty. Not sure if there is the same policy in MD.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Do they have an actual written policy on this? I know troopers in MA were required to be armed at all times, even off duty. Not sure if there is the same policy in MD.

Yes. It is in writing.

Unlike civilian jobs... the “General Order Manual” is there with EVERY aspect of the LEOs life regulated. Violate the Orders at your own expense. LEOs have TWO courts to worry about on the job. The public court and the a Departmental Trial Board. The latter is often much worse to be summoned to.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Yes. It is in writing.

Unlike civilian jobs... the “General Order Manual” is there with EVERY aspect of the LEOs life regulated. Violate the Orders at your own expense. LEOs have TWO courts to worry about on the job. The public court and the a Departmental Trial Board. The latter is often much worse to be summoned to.

And what is the policy regarding consuming alcohol while off duty? Also are MD troopers required to be armed at all times? Or only when driving their cruiser off duty?

Stated another way; If I'm a trooper, under what conditions am I permitted to get my drink on while off duty?

This is, of course, merely an intellectual exercise because LEOs never consume alcohol in any quantity. :ninja:

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    And what is the policy regarding consuming alcohol while off duty? Also are MD troopers required to be armed at all times? Or only when driving their cruiser off duty?

Stated another way; If I'm a trooper, under what conditions am I permitted to get my drink on while off duty?

This is, of course, merely an intellectual exercise because LEOs never consume alcohol in any quantity. :ninja:

"Get your drink on"?

Sorry... but I don't see the need to use such inflammatory terminology for this topic.

NO LEO is permitted to drive while drunk. So folks need to stop acting as if they can lawfully do so. It simply is not true. However, so long as the person drinks responsibly... They will not get intoxicated... nor will they reach the point to which they are under the influence... and drive or act in any way irresponsible. If they DO? Then they will be liable for the same measures as any other person who does so.

Are you "drunk" after consuming one beer?

If so... then maybe you should consider never drinking.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Some departments don't have a no drinking while armed policy. Most do.
    My agency was immediate termination if you have a gun issue while drinking.
    Drink unarmed. That means if you're out and want a drink, it's not good enough to leave it in the car. You pass the bar.
    If you know you're going out for some ass hattery, leave it home.
    I'll sit at a bar and drink iced tea or club soda. Not illegal. LEOSA states nothing about drinking.
    If I ever get into a shooting, I am going to request a blood BAC just to nip that shit in the bud right there.

And not drinking while carrying it's not about losing your permit if you got caught. It is all about being able to make the correct and decisive decision to use deadly force properly being responsible to yourself and the public.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A whole 26 posts deep and we don't have even a single person who doesn't think alcohol is a drug.

I commend all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guest123

Latest threads

Top Bottom