• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm kind of in love with the Beretta model 71...

If you aren't familiar, these weren't imported into the us in any significant quantity despite having excellent reliability and being used heavily by Israeli Moussad assassins and the like. Century arms imported a bunch of them but to get around some whacky law about importing older compact firearms they have "permanently" attached a faux suppressor with a set screw which is covered by a glob of weld. In theory you could remove this with some careful work, making this a really cool little pistol but it is quite stupid in its configuration as sold. Would one be breaking the law by removing this permanently attached monstrosity?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What was the need to attach the barrel shroud/extension? Also, looks like they had to inscribe some sort of import mark, being their business ID, on the frame. Neat little gun and seems pretty reasonably priced.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm kind of in love with the Beretta model 71...

If you aren't familiar, these weren't imported into the us in any significant quantity despite having excellent reliability and being used heavily by Israeli Moussad assassins and the like. Century arms imported a bunch of them but to get around some whacky law about importing older compact firearms they have "permanently" attached a faux suppressor with a set screw which is covered by a glob of weld. In theory you could remove this with some careful work, making this a really cool little pistol but it is quite stupid in its configuration as sold. Would one be breaking the law by removing this permanently attached monstrosity?

Here you go.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3127275/columbus-ohio-handguns-for-sale--beretta-model-75-pistol--22lr

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The fake can was put on for import requirements. You can remove it legally. Then, of course, have the barrel rethreaded for a real suppressor.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can thank the Gov, for GCA 68 that tried to define Saturday Night Special by size and weight.

NOT by quality and price.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    IMG_21091_zps3d3c3df8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    if you do find one, know that if you cut the fake can off that the threads are 1/2 x 20. Silenserco makes an adaptor.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    if you do find one, know that if you cut the fake can off that the threads are 1/2 x 20. Silenserco makes an adaptor.
    Let me note that when I unpinned my suppressor on my 71, the threads underneath were pretty jacked up, and not as a result of my actions. There were enough threads to get the adapter on, but alignment was definitely a concern (thankfully, it seems fine, and passed appropriate tests).

In other words, it may be worth the price to buy one off GB that has known good threads to work with.

It's a terrific gun, though. One of the best 22s I've had the pleasure of shooting. Feels like a handgun for serious work.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
      IMG_1064.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 710

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did not need the hear that.

I have wanted one since I was a kid in the 60s.

I may just have to get one.

$250 for one I have to remove the suppressor, or $400 for one already done??????

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Let me note that when I unpinned my suppressor on my 71, the threads underneath were pretty jacked up, and not as a result of my actions. There were enough threads to get the adapter on, but alignment was definitely a concern (thankfully, it seems fine, and passed appropriate tests).

In other words, it may be worth the price to buy one off GB that has known good threads to work with.

It's a terrific gun, though. One of the best 22s I've had the pleasure of shooting. Feels like a handgun for serious work.

The Izzies agreed.

I want a 70S bad

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    The Beretta 70S (and similar models) is probably the best small 22LR pistol ever made. They are astonishingly reliable and accurate.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I ended up picking up a Beretta 70S off Gun Broker. I paid a bit much, but it is in very nice condition.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Beretta M71 22LR with Faux Suppressor

Picked up a Beretta M71 22LR from Classic Firearms came with one 8 round mag, a bit worn and dinged up but for a shooter the price was right. Come with a faux/fake suppressor added due to import restrictions, its just a very heavy barrel extension some say it permanently attached but with a little work it can be removed. Find the area where the bluing color or surface look off at 2 or 6 o’clock, file or grind it down to expose the set screw, back it out, heat the area with a torch to loosen the lock-tight and unscrew. YouTube has video’s that shows how to do it. The Fake suppressor feels like it is the same weight, as the pistol doesn’t do anything but add double the weight so I removed it, also you can’t remove the barrel from the slide with it attached. I wiped the barrel with tape when removing it but still marred it a little reblueing should fix it. Pickup a 1/2-20 .400 Knurled Thread Protector by Pike Arms $13 w/free shipping and a 3rd party magazine by TripleK for $29, other mags that were $40-$99. think the high dollar ones were OEM, note the TripleK mags base plates are polymer where the OEM are metal.
    Here some links.

https://1022racerifle.com/pike-arms-1-2-20-tpi-400-oal-knurled-thread-protector-blue/

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Beretta-70-71-72-22LR-8rd-Magazines-p/b718m.htm

Detailed full disassembly and reassembly Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpsAwm5XWZM#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HivFSP3LEs

Attachments

• Beretta M71 b.jpg
      Beretta M71 b.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 364
    • removed.jpg
      removed.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 330
    • nut.jpg
      nut.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 314
    • nut2.jpg
      nut2.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 313
    • Mags.jpg
      Mags.jpg
      56.4 KB · Views: 300

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picked up a Beretta M71 22LR from Classic Firearms came with one 8 round mag, a bit worn and dinged up but for a shooter the price was right. Come with a faux/fake suppressor added due to import restrictions, its just a very heavy barrel extension some say it permanently attached but with a little work it can be removed. Find the area where the bluing color or surface look off at 2 or 6 o’clock, file or grind it down to expose the set screw, back it out, heat the area with a torch to loosen the lock-tight and unscrew. YouTube has video’s that shows how to do it. The Fake suppressor feels like it is the same weight, as the pistol doesn’t do anything but add double the weight so I removed it, also you can’t remove the barrel from the slide with it attached. I wiped the barrel with tape when removing it but still marred it a little reblueing should fix it. Pickup a 1/2-20 .400 Knurled Thread Protector by Pike Arms $13 w/free shipping and a 3rd party magazine by TripleK for $29, other mags that were $40-$99. think the high dollar ones were OEM, note the TripleK mags base plates are polymer where the OEM are metal.
    Here some links.

https://1022racerifle.com/pike-arms-1-2-20-tpi-400-oal-knurled-thread-protector-blue/

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Beretta-70-71-72-22LR-8rd-Magazines-p/b718m.htm

Detailed full disassembly and reassembly Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpsAwm5XWZM#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HivFSP3LEs

I need one of these in my life.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One of the big things announced at SHOT was a factory threaded 21A, which I think is a much better plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom