• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    No, I paid attention and am well aware of the process, but when one has the option to simply go to MPTC in Sykesville, shoot a 50 round course and get nationwide carry, the time and expense of fighting with MSP becomes a non starter.

The only reason I applied to MSP was that it was free for retired LE and was a "gimme" in the past.

Sorry, maybe I didn't word that in the best form. What I meant was your assessment that you likely would not be issued a permit runs counter to all of the reports on this forum. Every person who applied for business reason (myself included) have been issued a permit. I can't find a single reference to anyone running a legitimate business being denied.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    Just had my phone interview today. They also called all of my references and did the background check. She stated that it will probably be issued (business owner) and she would get everything up to the powers that be. It could take up to 60-90 days to hear/receive anything. I guess now the real waiting begins. Why can't the just send me the permit for Christmas! I would gladly return everything else or donate to everything to Charity. HaHa

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    In my opinion, Maryland State only providing selected people/groups with permits helps them to say that they actually do issue X number of permits. This defeats the entire cause of Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) as far as I am concerned. It ought to be that if everybody cannot participate, then none will. That's standing together! Most people work for an employer and are therefore automatically disqualified from CCW. Ludicrous, indeed!

Big Dog

Dec 16, 2012
    North East
    I went through the process and requested the review board months ago and have heard nothing. Are they that backed up or did they simply ignore my request? Does anyone know how I can check the status of my request?

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    In my opinion, Maryland State only providing selected people/groups with permits helps them to say that they actually do issue X number of permits. This defeats the entire cause of Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) as far as I am concerned. It ought to be that if everybody cannot participate, then none will. That's standing together! Most people work for an employer and are therefore automatically disqualified from CCW. Ludicrous, indeed!

:thumbsup:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Once your "approved training" is complete, is there a certain amount of time in which you must submit your application?

ECPDefense

Jun 30, 2010
    Cecil-Tucky
    I went through the process and requested the review board months ago and have heard nothing. Are they that backed up or did they simply ignore my request? Does anyone know how I can check the status of my request?

I also appealed to the HPRB back in July and haven't heard or received anything from them. I just sent another certified letter with signature of receipt requesting what actions have ot have not been taken on my appeal. It was delivered and signed for on Jan 2, 2013. We'll see if anything happens.....

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Physician CCW denied

Just finished my informal appeal after getting "disapproved."

1) Physician alone not good enough
    2) Carrying narcotics not G&S unless self employed and they need proof that as part of the practice the doc routinely dispenses the narcotics and/or need employer to write a letter stating it is part of the job
    3) Script pad...not enough
    4) The fact that I am on TV and in the newspapers not enough

Will appeal to the board and see what happens. The corporal stated that even if I get approved it will be so restricted it would not do any good.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I also appealed to the HPRB back in July and haven't heard or received anything from them. I just sent another certified letter with signature of receipt requesting what actions have ot have not been taken on my appeal. It was delivered and signed for on Jan 2, 2013. We'll see if anything happens.....

The corporal I did my informal appeal with said that they review board is so far behind that it might take months to get my turn.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Gotta love the HPRB following the law:
    § 5-312. Action by Board

(a) Request for review authorized. --
    (1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.

(2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90 days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written request with the Board.
    (b) Form of review. -- Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:
    (1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or

(2) conduct a hearing.

(c) Evidence. -- The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the decision of the Secretary.

(d) Decision by Board. --
    (1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse, or modify the decision of the Secretary.

(2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for the action taken by the Board.
    (e) Administrative procedures. --
    (1) Any hearing and any subsequent proceedings of judicial review shall be conducted in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a court may not order the issuance or renewal of a permit or alter a limitation on a permit pending a final determination of the proceeding.
    (bolding mine)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Just finished my informal appeal after getting "disapproved."

1) Physician alone not good enough
    2) Carrying narcotics not G&S unless self employed and they need proof that as part of the practice the doc routinely dispenses the narcotics and/or need employer to write a letter stating it is part of the job
    3) Script pad...not enough
    4) The fact that I am on TV and in the newspapers not enough

Will appeal to the board and see what happens. The corporal stated that even if I get approved it will be so restricted it would not do any good.

What a crock of sh*t! Restricted to when you are carrying narcotics most likely. Is the Corporal going to dictate when you can or need to do that? Time to open a private practice perhaps or get the letter from your employer if possible.

Free

Oct 1, 2013
    So...my 25 y/o daughter...all of 4 ft. 11" 106 lbs. had her I-phone stolen out of her hand in downtown Baltimore while trying to enter a downtown Metro subway station.

Is this a slam dunk? Is this a good enough reason for her to be granted a carry permit?

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So...my 25 y/o daughter...all of 4 ft. 11" 106 lbs. had her I-phone stolen out of her hand in downtown Baltimore while trying to enter a downtown Metro subway station.

Is this a slam dunk? Is this a good enough reason for her to be grant a carry permit?

NO! Not even close.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

engine42410

Sep 9, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It is very sad when MSP only care about certain job classes when it comes to a concealed carry handgun permit. Now I understand why a few law abiding citizens are leaving this crazy state. It's even more horrible when you have to go out of state to get a non resident handgun permit and you can't count on the state of maryland to do right by law abiding citizens. All i can say is the criminals have won, thanks to some elected officals, stupid gun laws, and some law enforcement agencies.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It is very sad when MSP only care about certain job classes when it comes to a concealed carry handgun permit. Now I understand why a few law abiding citizens are leaving this crazy state. It's even more horrible when you have to go out of state to get a non resident handgun permit and you can't count on the state of maryland to do right by law abiding citizens. All i can say is the criminals have won, thanks to some elected officals, stupid gun laws, and some law enforcement agencies.

Beyond sad. It is disgraceful.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

y.pestis

Apr 2, 2013

Is this a slam dunk? Is this a good enough reason for her to be granted a carry permit?

Use of deadly force to protect property will land you in jail.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I think its a laugh that when I applied and got my MD permit albeit with restrictions for work only that it seemed the MSP only cared about how much money you carry. I think I know why...*cue sarcasm* if you were robbed of the large amounts of money that you carry, it would cheat the state of MD out of their money they could have taxed you because the money never made it to the bank.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I am teaching another Maryland Handgun Permit Seminar on April 6, 2014 in Frederick.

All proceeds being donated to IWLA & Youth Group.

Register Here!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom