• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    This is actually good news. It shows intent to comply with the clarification requested by the AG. Doesn't mean they won't drag their feet, or try other shenanigans, however, if anything, it shows they are cognizant of the decision, upcoming changes, and clarification.

I look at it as an attempt to ignore the decision for as long as possible. The decision said that no applicant may be required to provide G&S yet Shipley says their decisions will not be made solely on G&S. The court said not at all.

Shipley said
    will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason" requirement until "the court clarifies its position"

This is why my brain automaticly translates the term "Spokesperson" to "Official Liar".

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Went to the Livescan office in Glen Burnie - Mr. Vain was EXCELLENT, process took about 15 miinutes. Took ths material and mailed my packet off this afternoon. Highly recommend this place. Register on line to save a little more time. He says he has been getting about 100 applications per day since the ruling, and his phone was ringing off of the hook while I was there - people with questions on how to find the facility, and what it cost. :-)

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Went to the Livescan office in Glen Burnie - Mr. Vain was EXCELLENT, process took about 15 miinutes. Took ths material and mailed my packet off this afternoon. Highly recommend this place. Register on line to save a little more time. He says he has been getting about 100 applications per day since the ruling, and his phone was ringing off of the hook while I was there - people with questions on how to find the facility, and what it cost. :-)

I was there too! Great guy and service was fast.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I'm applying as an out-of-state resident, but I have part time residence here in MD. Would it hurt to note on the continuation sheet that I am part time MD resident?
    Thoughts?

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I mailed in the application this morning. I had my fingerprinting done at Absolute Investigative Services on Joppa in Towson. They were very friendly and the whole process was painless, they have a notary as well, so that saved me a trip. It was $57.25 for the scan and $4 for the notary. I did the photos at CVS for $8 with the coupon. I'd recommend it for anybody in the Towson area. I didn't want to drive down to Glen Burnie. Thanks for the John Doe app, it was helpful!

+1

I also went here this morning. No wait and the entire process might have been about 15 mins.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I can't believe it! My application check is sitting on top of my desk! :mad54:

I've all ready sent off the application. :banghead:

Last edited:

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Under advice from my attorney, I'm going to be redoing my application and including the arrest from when I was 15 years old. Good thing I didn't mail it off.

Just throwing that out there.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Were you sworn at any time? If so, I'd say yes. If not, no. In either case, I'd make a note of it on page 10 just to be thorough. Not a lawyer or LEO, but that's my guess.

I would say Where you sworn in as an officer of the law? I would say thats what makes you an official police officer.

I went down and talked to the Chief today and he also said I should put down no. I was figuring, being it is Maryland, that they would use the fact that I was hired as an officer a technicality even tho I was never sworn in.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    that is because on the firearms paperwork it only asks if you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor. ccw apps ask if you have been arrested, charged, and covicted. yes you have to put it down for a dui. i have one but was put on pbj therfore i was arrested and charged but never convicted. i put tha info down on my utah permit and got it so we should be ok. you can become a state police officer with it, dont see why it would matter for ccw

Are people concerned about a simple speeding ticket, say 10 mph over the limit, with a verdict of PBJ that could have happened 25 years ago? Aren't we supposed to use a little common judgment on these things? In my heart, I don't think of it as a crime. Everybody has gotten a traffic ticket. I thought it was called Probation Before Verdict and you pay the fine, but I'm not a lawyer. More like expressing an opinion, even if not valid.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Man oh did I screw up big TIME! Mailed my packet this afternoon and big as shit I forgot to append my DD214 & NGB Form 22, what a friggin dumb ass.

Will head up there Monday and see if they will let me insert them into my packet.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Maybe a checklist would help?

• Completed application, having pages 7 and 13 notarized (should consist of pages 7, 10 if necessary, 12, and 13)
    • Naturalization papers, if necessary
    • DD-214 or NGB 22, if necessary
    • Official court disposition, if necessary
    • Any additional documents, if necessary (psychiatric records, military orders, proof of citizenship, etc.)
    • Two passport photos
    • Fingerprint card or LiveScan receipt
    • Check for application fee and background check, if necessary, payable to "Maryland State Police"

Am I forgetting anything?

Last edited:

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    I would not staple them. Paper clip them or put then in a small envelope with "Passport Photos for "My Full Name"" written on the envelope as part of your package.

They do not say it, but I AM writting my full name on the back of both pictures so if they were to get mixed up, they know who's they are. For my Florida application, they specifically tell you to do that FWIW. Make sure you don't write so hard it shows "lines" on the picture side.

Just My opinion.

Good advice!
    Mine was similar.
    photos in a baggie with name on back.
    paper clipped to the app.
    both in an envelope with my name on it
    envelope inside a UPS next day letter
    tracking confirmed: delivered today at 10:28 am, signature confirmed.

Last edited:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

• Completed application, having pages 7 and 13 notarized (should consist of pages 7, 10, 12, and 13)
    • DD-214, if necessary (OR NGB 22 for National Guard)
    • Any additional documents necessary
    • Two passport photos
    • Check for application fee and background check, if necessary (is this payable to "Maryland State Police?"

Added bold.
    Might want to include official orders if you are currently serving.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    An Officer at the Licensing division told me yesterday that 2 x 2 inch photos are fine and that they have been trying to change the wording on the app for some time but haven't gotten around to it. And for what it's worth, he was very friendly and helpful.

With friends & family in federal, state & local LE agencies, it is my personal experince and opinion they are all by nature, helpful, friendly and protect and serve us well.

They're doing their jobs, as mandated by the laws they sware to uphold.

It's the lawyers and politicians who we need to influence and carefully select to legislate the will of the people they represent, and it seems to be working :thumbsup:

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I sent an email on Tues asking they send an application packet. I haven't gotten a response back...so watching the mail.

MD is my only "speed bump" driving from PA to FL.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012

• Completed application, having pages 7 and 13 notarized (should consist of pages 7, 10, 12, and 13)
    • DD-214 or NGB 22, if necessary
    • Any additional documents necessary (psychiatric records, military orders, etc.)
    • Two passport photos
    • Check for application fee and background check, if necessary (is this payable to "Maryland State Police?"

For the 75.00 fee to the MSP, YES, make the check or money order payable to Maryland State Police

Page 10 is only needed if you have to add additional information for any question that was answered YES on Page 7 (or other pages if they were applicable like for PI or Security Guard app's) with the exception of #22 on Page 7 where the "YES" answer requires you to attach a copy of your DD214 (or applicable doc like NGB 22 for Guard service).

If your application is like mine where the only YES is to #22 on page 7, there is NOTHING to write on Page 10, so it would be blank and not required.

Now I am not application expert! But I did read it completely 4-5 times and see no reason for most people who are applying for a private citizen Handgun permit, that you would need anything other than page 7, 12 and 13, with page 7 and 13 being notarized, along with a DD214 (If YES to question 22 on page 7), your 2 pictures, your check for 75.00 made out to MSP and your Live Scan receipt or paper finger print cards IF submitted prior to Mar 19 2012, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom