• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This is a picture taken off ny brother's pier in Middle River. What kind of fish makes shell nests like this? These nests are in groups all along the shoreline

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1593641236876.jpg
      FB_IMG_1593641236876.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 638

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Looks more like otters or muskrats have been eating in that area.......

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Looks more like otters or muskrats have been eating in that area.......
    This.

Both muskrats and otters will dig out a freshwater clam and carry it to a convenient place to eat. If the place was convenient once, it will be convenient again, and often to different animals, hence the multiple shells in what one would call a "feed bed". Some feed beds are on land at the water's edge, others are in very shallow water.

Fish 'nests' (beds) in this region are normally just slight depressions fanned clean by the fish as a silt-free repository for eggs - no actual architecture. Some tropical fish, notably cichlids, DO build with local materials like stone fragments, but not our bass, bluegills or other "depositors" (vs "scatterers").

Either that or Chessie....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Could be sunfish making a redd. Fish sweep the muck away to expose 'gravel' to lay their eggs into. If that gravel happens to be shells...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Could be sunfish making a redd. Fish sweep the muck away to expose 'gravel' to lay their eggs into. If that gravel happens to be shells...

This makes sense. A guy in the neighborhood told my brother if you dig under these "nests" you'll get live clams.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    This makes sense. A guy in the neighborhood told my brother if you dig under these "nests" you'll get live clams.

That is not a sunfish, bluegill, crappie, or bass nest. They don’t assemble a nest, as noted above they fan sediment off of shallow sandy or gravel areas. Live clams under them is a sure sign of a clam predator like an otter or muskrat. But I’ve only been on the water and fishing for 62 years, what do I know....;)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    That is not a sunfish, bluegill, crappie, or bass nest. They don’t assemble a nest, as noted above they fan sediment off of shallow sandy or gravel areas. Live clams under them is a sure sign of a clam predator like an otter or muskrat. But I’ve only been on the water and fishing for 62 years, what do I know....;)
    :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Who said assembled?

I offered a guess, as in "could be". :sad20: You almost quote my post, then discredit it using the same evidence. There are many predators of clams, including starfish, horseshoe crabs, birds, fish etc. BTW, muskrats usually eat the clams out the water and otters, as they float around on their backs.
    FWIW, I have been fishing on the bay for nearly as long as you. I do not claim to be an expert though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom