• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lanzador49

Jun 11, 2020
    Active military moving from Ohio to Maryland. Reading the statutes, merely driving with a gun in your car if you're not going to and from a range, or directly from a store for a purchase, is illegal and can get someone in trouble.

If the firearm is locked in a safe, and is even disassembled with magazines and ammo separate, can someone drive in and out of Maryland? I understand that handguns must be registered within 90 days, but what about just driving into the state, and then driving out of the state?

Sounds even worse than California the way some of the comments I have read make it seem...

Any practical input would be appreciated (and I am aware of the admonitions about living somewhere other than Maryland).

Thanks in advance - my first post.

RedRider48

Jun 11, 2020
    Severna Park, MD
    First, this is my first post, as noted. I would advise, first, don't get pulled over for an infraction. If you do, after you're asked for your ID etc. (show both Mil and drivers licenses) depending how it plays out, if, your infraction is such, they haul you out of the vehicle, for sure advise the LE you are traveling with a firearm and explain it's status. If the firearm is as you mentioned above and is legal in the state of OH, you should not incur any issues. Much of how it plays out, depends on your demeanor and the infraction.
    Heck, we have to prepare for the same situation and explanation when we leave the FFL dealer with a regulated firearm.
    Hope this helps.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, keep the guns unloaded with the ammo in separate boxes/cases/containers. In MD, the original ammo boxes are good enough. No locks needed. Better yet, keep each unloaded gun in its own case/bag. Driving between homes with them is legit, including to/from out of state.

Main thing is don't sweat it. You're referencing a law that is never enforced by itself. It's mainly there as a subsequent charge for crime involving guns. When you're transporting the guns here, just use common sense the entire way. Obey the speed limits. No aggressive driving. Drive like a saint.

Once you're a resident here, apply for collector status. Then you can transport as many unloaded guns as you want as often as you want. Many guns laws and regulations here make no sense and, ironically, can be used to your advantage.

lanzador49

Jun 11, 2020
    Thanks for the input. I can't be tossed in the slammer my first day in Maryland...! That's a statement, AND a question, I suppose...LOL!

The initial research I did seemed to say, if you're pulled over, you need to say you have a firearm...and if you do, they'll arrest you. BUT...I'll break down all the pistols, and have them locked up and out of reach. For all intents and purposes, I feel better now. I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    You absolutely do not need to say anything about firearms. Never volunteer that information.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Thanks for the input. I can't be tossed in the slammer my first day in Maryland...! That's a statement, AND a question, I suppose...LOL!

The initial research I did seemed to say, if you're pulled over, you need to say you have a firearm...and if you do, they'll arrest you. BUT...I'll break down all the pistols, and have them locked up and out of reach. For all intents and purposes, I feel better now. I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.

Being military, you will learn pretty quick what's allowed and what isn't. Thanks for joining us here.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    OP: Unloaded in the trunk will do fine. Useful to have a copy of your orders with you. Things aren't as bad as California, thankfully...and you can always duck over the border into Civilization.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Active military moving from Ohio to Maryland. Reading the statutes, merely driving with a gun in your car if you're not going to and from a range, or directly from a store for a purchase, is illegal and can get someone in trouble.

Welcome to Maryland from another Buckeye. Are you being stationed here??
    If you are being stationed here, there is no need to register anything, as you are exempt from doing so under Maryland law.

If the firearm is locked in a safe, and is even disassembled with magazines and ammo separate, can someone drive in and out of Maryland? I understand that handguns must be registered within 90 days, but what about just driving into the state, and then driving out of the state?

They can stay assembled, separate firearms from ammo, FOPA requires one or the other to be locked, but not both.

Sounds even worse than California the way some of the comments I have read make it seem...

Any practical input would be appreciated (and I am aware of the admonitions about living somewhere other than Maryland).

Thanks in advance - my first post.

Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions you have.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Maryland is NOT a required to notify state, so no, you do not need to notify any LE in Maryland that you have a firearm in your vehicle or that yo are armed if you have a wear and carry permit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You are transporting them from your home (in Ohio), to your home (in MD). So legal to transport your handguns.

Long guns are not restricted for transport in MD.

Just make sure you do not have any currently banned firearms, that were purchased after 9/30/13. They may NOT be brought into the state.

You only need to have the firearms unloaded for MD, and handguns must be in a case or enclosed holster. A zipped up pistol rug is sufficient.

For transport through PA or WV on your way here, if the firearms are in a trunk, you are fine. If your vehicle does not have a separate trunk, you will need to have either the ammo or the firearms in locked cases. This is to satisfy the requirements of FOPA 86.

As you are active duty, on orders, you do not have to establish residency in MD, and therefore do not have to register anything.

lanzador49

Jun 11, 2020
    Thanks for all the input. Great information. The exemptions and methods all stand to reason, but it was unclear just from reading the admonitions elsewhere about driving in Maryland with a firearm.

Glad there's a site like this so we can cut to the chase and hear from people in real time. Yeah, I am moving stations to Ft. Meade...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Driving in Maryland " is insufficiently specific . Are we speaking Handguns or ( Not Handgun , under Maryland law ) ?

Handguns ( under Maryland definition ) require specific destinations ( and don't ask about stopping for gas or meal on the way , that will ignite a 30 page thread , and leave you more confused than ever ) . If the destination issue is covered , the * How * is more lenient than FOPA .

Except for a handful of grandfathered local jurisdictions , long guns may be tranported / routinely going along for the ride , UNLOADED . ( Bringing up as a thread , will also ignite a 30 page thread that wil leave you more confused than before .)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    OP, keep the guns unloaded with the ammo in separate boxes/cases/containers. In MD, the original ammo boxes are good enough. No locks needed. Better yet, keep each unloaded gun in its own case/bag. Driving between homes with them is legit, including to/from out of state.

Main thing is don't sweat it. You're referencing a law that is never enforced by itself. It's mainly there as a subsequent charge for crime involving guns. When you're transporting the guns here, just use common sense the entire way. Obey the speed limits. No aggressive driving. Drive like a saint.

Once you're a resident here, apply for collector status. Then you can transport as many unloaded guns as you want as often as you want. Many guns laws and regulations here make no sense and, ironically, can be used to your advantage.

MD does not grant "Collector Status" re transport, only re purchase of handgun per 30 days

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Welcome to Maryland!!
    While you are driving in Maryland and DC metro area, please be aware that we have unbelievably bad and aggressive drivers.
    Agree 100%. Drivers from the I-95 Axis regard right-of-way as a magic shield...and are often confused about who really has the right-of-way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom