• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • python

Apr 15, 2010
    Do they shoot bullets out of their ass? Do you aim by lining up their tail between their ears? What breed is the most accurate?

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    My bassett puppy ran a squirel into the fence and it got stuck for a few seconds.He tried to bite it's tail, but it kicked his nose and got scared.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well I'll tell you what I was thinking. I was thinking a Cat would be a much better option for tree climbing. A few replies later I finally understood what the Dog was for.

Cat is still better than the dog. You don’t have to be as accurate at throwing it.

Dogs are like rifles, cats shotguns.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My bassett puppy ran a squirel into the fence and it got stuck for a few seconds.He tried to bite it's tail, but it kicked his nose and got scared.

I let my Maine coon out on my deck sometimes when the squirrels are on it. So far she managed to nail one, but it just got loose (left some long claw marks down it’s side and she whacked it about 5ft across the deck). Treed a few others. Usually she’s just too hesitant. I think she more wants to play with them than kill them. I did catch her once right before she got out of reach chasing one up the black gum tree. It’s 30ft up to the first branch and I grabbed her when she’d gotten almost 8ft up chasing a squirrel. This giant paws are good for something.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My Lab/Pit mix "Jake" figured out to meet them at their tree instead of chasing them after being laid up after a knee surgery and watching them as they harassed him thru a glass door. In his younger days, he could catch them outright, but as he got older an wiser, he met them at the tree as this was a much more direct route, much to their chagrin.

All that said, a dog will tree a squirrel reliably, but then you have to wait for the tree rat to show themselves for a shot. Please let me know if this works for you because Jake and I would enjoy hunting tree rats. In my experience, find an Oak tree, sit still, and wait 15 minutes or so for a squirrel to show. If there is a dog running around, I'm not sure they will show themselves, but I have never tried. Good luck.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I hunt squirrels with my dog, which is a drahthaar. These dogs are bred to be versatile (hard on feather and fur) and she has a strong passion for squirrels, whether they're in the back yard or on the hunting grounds. No one showed me how to do it but I have figured out a few different tactics the past two seasons. 1) when I first get to the woods, I spot and stalk like a normal squirrel hunt with my dog on heel, using mostly my ears to locate the squirrel and sometimes using a call. When I see one, I creep up, shoot and call her over to retrieve. This is especially handy since often squirrels fall into bushes, down ravines, creeks, etc. 2) I let her "hunt em up" in which she ranges out from me and searches for them. She's gotten pretty good and can actually catch them herself now, but most of the time she'll tree one and start barking like crazy. I then run over to where she's barking and try to find it in the trees. If I can't, I have her heel and sit and usually the squirrel emerges from its hiding spot within a few minutes. I have learned the hard way to not do this in the evening when skunks seem to be out more. 3) In the evenings, I have her walk with me on heel and when I see one in the distance but can't quite hear it and lose track of it, I let her go and sometimes her barking startles it so bad that the squirrel falls out of the tree and she either gets it or buys me time to get closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom