• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    For common items, the GunBroker completed auctions are a good source of information. GB comes apart when dealing with exotics, but it doesn't sound like you have much in that line.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For some of your more esoteric pieces, maybe contact these folks:

http://www.baltimoreshow.com/about-the-show/about-maryland-arms-collectors/

Many of "these folks" are members here. There's a ton of knowledge available with a few pics and keystrokes.

IMO - There are MANY people here that have a ton more knowledge on specific firearm platforms, than the average gun store employee that has a general knowledge across many platforms.

Your first (and easiest) course of action is to take pics and submit here. If you don’t feel you get enough info, then go to the next step. Whatever you decide that will be :D

Agree. Especially with the more esoteric stuff. Probably wouldn't satisfy an insurance company as an appraisal though.

Jul 1, 2012
    Agree. Especially with the more esoteric stuff. Probably wouldn't satisfy an insurance company as an appraisal though.

Having a good set of pics (with all markings, any condition issues, etc) of each item goes a long way towards supporting the value "after the fact". That's the first thing the insurance company asked... "do you have good pictures?"

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks everyone! I will pick them up soon and will start posting high resolution photos. Can't wait to see it in person myself and share with you all. I really appreciate all of the information and offers for help.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I've bought a number of C&R firearms form Atlantic Guns over the decades, and the owners have been in the game for generations. They've consolidated in Rockville now, which is a little inconvenient for DC residents. I'd trust them for appraisals, but I don't know whether they offer the service. Can't hurt to ask.

Derwood, MD is just down the street from the new Atlantic Guns location in Rockville.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    A great resource is the Virginia Gun Collectors Assoc. http://www.vgca.net/ (proud life member) Not a group of bubbas, a lot of published authors; Rick Nahas, Standard Catalog of S&W; Bill York, History of the Radom Pistol, etc. Meetings (or at least did ) at the NRA HQ in Fairfax and the Semi annual VGCA gun show in Manassas, VA is worth the trip. The organization is a nonprofit 501c(4) with money raised from the shows used to support local youth shooting sport and education. Like most gun shows there are a bunch of tables where they aren't selling guns. The difference is that there, tables are set aside for members to make educational displays with their collections. Unfortunately no bathroom remodeling for those those of you into that sort of thing :sarcasm:. Additionally, there is a table set up to get info and informal appraisals on your firearm without charge and no offer to buy (other than admission : )
    Happy to make an intro but, you can just send an inquiry through the website if your interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom