• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Hi - I am inheriting a collection of firearms from a relative who passed away. I am wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to get a rough idea of each item's value.

I was thinking of looking up completed auctions on gunbroker as a starting point. But that wouldn't really take into account the item's exact condition/year of manufacture. Do most people try to contact each company or an expert on a particular manufacturer? I was also thinking of simply taking them one or two at a time to the Dulles gun show and seeking out expertise there. I was also thinking I could post some photos on here so any fellow C/R enthusiasts can take a look and weigh in.

There are about 30 pieces, collected between ~1950 and ~1990. They're from the usual American manufacturers: Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Colt, etc. along with a few "war veterans" from other countries (no NFA). The previous owner took meticulous care of them, kept them in a dry safe, and rarely/never fired them. So they're all in good condition for their age. I've already looked up a few serial numbers and it appears most of them were manufactured between 1850 and 1930. There is also a very interesting single shot cap pistol that seems to have been a traditional dueling weapon. And there is an Enfield that has Japanese (I think) marks on it. Super interesting and super unexpected.

I am a firearms enthusiast and own a few older guns, but nothing quite this interesting.

I have already taken care of the legalities and will pick them up next week.

I am not interested in ever selling anything -- just want to know a little more about what's going in my safe and how to properly assess it for my insurance policy. I didn't know this relative and I had the same hobby. So it's a pretty cool thing all around and I'd like to learn more. Thank you.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    For insurance, you'll probably want professional appraisal.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd avoid looking for estimates at gun shows. You'll be lowballed by the dealers who want them. If they have something similar on display, it will be priced above retail; at least that's been my experience.

GB completed isn't bad as a source. You'll have to make allowances for condition.

If you don't intend to sell, you might want to consider getting appraisals from long-time local gun shops who have the depth of experience to come up with reasonable numbers. I'd expect to have to pay for the service. Expertise takes years to accumulate and refine, and expert's time is valuable.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Start individual threads here in C&R section. Have lots of pics for each firearm. I bet you get great info from our members.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thank you all! I will post some threads here and see what you all think.

Re: good shops to stop by, the one shop in my area is more oriented towards modern handguns, ARs, etc. But I will stop over there. What are some of your favorite shops? I'm in the DC area but would definitely travel.

Re: pro appraisal...good idea and I'd pay for the service of course. Can you recommend someone?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've bought a number of C&R firearms form Atlantic Guns over the decades, and the owners have been in the game for generations. They've consolidated in Rockville now, which is a little inconvenient for DC residents. I'd trust them for appraisals, but I don't know whether they offer the service. Can't hurt to ask.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    IMO - There are MANY people here that have a ton more knowledge on specific firearm platforms, than the average gun store employee that has a general knowledge across many platforms.

Your first (and easiest) course of action is to take pics and submit here. If you don’t feel you get enough info, then go to the next step. Whatever you decide that will be :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For a professional appraisal service, I would think Redding up in Gettysburg would have a good hand on most commercial arms. Most of the folks on this board in the C&R section will likely have the best and latest info on anything military though.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Hi - I am inheriting a collection of firearms from a relative who passed away. I am wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to get a rough idea of each item's value.

I was thinking of looking up completed auctions on gunbroker as a starting point. But that wouldn't really take into account the item's exact condition/year of manufacture. Do most people try to contact each company or an expert on a particular manufacturer? I was also thinking of simply taking them one or two at a time to the Dulles gun show and seeking out expertise there. I was also thinking I could post some photos on here so any fellow C/R enthusiasts can take a look and weigh in.

There are about 30 pieces, collected between ~1950 and ~1990. They're from the usual American manufacturers: Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Colt, etc. along with a few "war veterans" from other countries (no NFA). The previous owner took meticulous care of them, kept them in a dry safe, and rarely/never fired them. So they're all in good condition for their age. I've already looked up a few serial numbers and it appears most of them were manufactured between 1850 and 1930. There is also a very interesting single shot cap pistol that seems to have been a traditional dueling weapon. And there is an Enfield that has Japanese (I think) marks on it. Super interesting and super unexpected.

I am a firearms enthusiast and own a few older guns, but nothing quite this interesting.

I have already taken care of the legalities and will pick them up next week.

I am not interested in ever selling anything -- just want to know a little more about what's going in my safe and how to properly assess it for my insurance policy. I didn't know this relative and I had the same hobby. So it's a pretty cool thing all around and I'd like to learn more. Thank you.

I use this https://www.amazon.com/41st-Blue-Book-Gun-Values/dp/1947314173

I'll buy it every 2 or 3 years.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I find the blue book to be over-valued on more esoteric items. They've gotten better in recent years, but there's also a history of some very bad errata in the BBoGV that has gone uncorrected for years. I recently pointed out some big ones in their cross-reference for hardware store and department store guns to their editing department. (eg. Ward's WesternField 600A-ERI was listed as at Rem Sportsman 58, this is incredibly incorrect. It is a Rem 878-BDL which was the highest grade of the "field" gun offerings for the 878).

Jul 1, 2012
    Yeah the Blue Book is a good STARTING point but not definitive by any means.
    With the online subscription, you get the value history and many haven't been updated in 5 to 10 years!
    Especially true of the early Colt semi-autos.
    I've actually found many of the things I'm interested in to be under-valued in the BB, but some are way too high.
    Some stuff isn't even in there :)
    The volatility of the recent market makes things interesting too.

The other issue with using a self-help tool like BB or Fleydermann (sp?) is honestly rating the condition.
    That's something even the "experts" sometimes don't do well (or have a vested interest in artificially rating up or down)
    and it can mean the difference of thousands of dollars in some cases - especially as the condition gets higher.
    Missing or incorrect parts, refinish, import marks etc all have a dramatic impact as well.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I find the blue book to be over-valued on more esoteric items. They've gotten better in recent years, but there's also a history of some very bad errata in the BBoGV that has gone uncorrected for years. I recently pointed out some big ones in their cross-reference for hardware store and department store guns to their editing department. (eg. Ward's WesternField 600A-ERI was listed as at Rem Sportsman 58, this is incredibly incorrect. It is a Rem 878-BDL which was the highest grade of the "field" gun offerings for the 878).

Say what you like about it but it's probably the most used reference on the subject. I'm not saying you're wrong but it is what it is and it's used the most.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Yeah the Blue Book is a good STARTING point but not definitive by any means.
    With the online subscription, you get the value history and many haven't been updated in 5 to 10 years!
    Especially true of the early Colt semi-autos.
    I've actually found many of the things I'm interested in to be under-valued in the BB, but some are way too high.
    Some stuff isn't even in there :)
    The volatility of the recent market makes things interesting too.

The other issue with using a self-help tool like BB or Fleydermann (sp?) is honestly rating the condition.
    That's something even the "experts" sometimes don't do well (or have a vested interest in artificially rating up or down)
    and it can mean the difference of thousands of dollars in some cases - especially as the condition gets higher.
    Missing or incorrect parts, refinish, import marks etc all have a dramatic impact as well.

Oh it's probably there alright BUT finding it is another matter especially C&R material.

Jul 1, 2012
    Nah, I've searched for many a thing that is simply not covered in the BB.
    The online tool has a search option that digs into the nooks and crannies.
    Sometimes things are in odd, unanticipated places for sure!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was thinking of one large continuous thread. You could do one gun a week. After all, its only a small 30 gun collection. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom