• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I know this has probably been covered in a more recent post but I can’t seem to locate one. I’d like to build a AR-15 .300 Blackout in 16” for deer hunting. From most accounts here it appears this is a legal AR in Maryland. PSA even lists the barrel as heavy, which I understand is one of MSP’s requirements. That said, PSA had a complete AR-15 .300 BO in 16” for sale recently so I ordered it. I received an email stating it was a copycat and they could not ship it to Maryland. I’m confused. The Anderson MFG .300 BO is listed as not banned on the MSP website while the Bushmaster .300 BO is listed as banned. They look like the same setup to me. The PSA is not listed. Is this, or is it not a copycat? I might try simply ordering the upper and see what happens (when it’s back in stock), but I want to be sure it’s legal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not copycats. One reason I don't shop at PSA.
    You could try ordering a lower(shipped to your FFL) and then ordering an upper separately.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks Michigander. I’ll try those two. Every mfg. I’ve looked at lately has been out of stock. I’d really like to buy a complete upper so I can build the lower myself. I liked PSA because the price was good for a complete rifle. Plus they were out of uppers I liked.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think that’s my next step. If I can find a stripped lower local I might just do that. Save the transfer fee.

:thumbsup:

Lowers are pretty straight forward to build.
    Uppers tend to take a bit more expertise to properly build.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    :thumbsup:

Lowers are pretty straight forward to build.
    Uppers tend to take a bit more expertise to properly build.
    Agree. I don’t think I want to fool with the upper. The lower should be no problem if I take my time. Appreciate your help. Reason I wanted the .300 BO is I wanted the AR platform, but with a heavier round than the .223, while still light to carry. BO seemed to fit that bill. Grendel was in the running too. Still is if I find a deal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agree. I don’t think I want to fool with the upper. The lower should be no problem if I take my time. Appreciate your help. Reason I wanted the .300 BO is I wanted the AR platform, but with a heavier round than the .223, while still light to carry. BO seemed to fit that bill. Grendel was in the running too. Still is if I find a deal.

Typically the further you get away from 5.56, the more difficulty you have in building and getting it to run. Grendel needs a bolt, barrel, and specialty mags, 300BO just needs a barrel. I've had an EASIER time getting 300 to run, especially suppressed than 5.56 builds. 300 can hit pretty hard, and usually beats 5.56 in energy, lots of decent bullets to use for hunting too.
    Uppers are about as easy to build as lowers, but they do need a couple special tools, and have a few steps that MUST be done correctly, like clocking/torquing a barrel nut. Pretty slim pickings around now, but for the money Aero precision is good, and usually easy to find. You can pick an upper and lower in many configurations to transfer in as a "firearm" and can slap together a pistol or rifle the way you want it without really building anything.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    the VLTOR A5 buffer tube is approx 3/4 inches longer than a carbine tube, so I supposed you could do a 9.5 inch barrel and still hit the 29 oal SBR requirement with the right adjustable stock. Perhaps even an 7.5 or 8 inch with the right pinned/welded muzzle device and A5 tube.

I know the advantages for an A5 with the 5.56 round, but I have no experience with it and 300blk. I am sure it would work just fine though.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    the VLTOR A5 buffer tube is approx 3/4 inches longer than a carbine tube, so I supposed you could do a 9.5 inch barrel and still hit the 29 oal SBR requirement with the right adjustable stock. Perhaps even an 7.5 or 8 inch with the right pinned/welded muzzle device and A5 tube.

I know the advantages for an A5 with the 5.56 round, but I have no experience with it and 300blk. I am sure it would work just fine though.

300 BO was designed for closer distances and to be suppressed. Mine is a pistol with a 10.5" bbl. The 10.5" bbl was what they found to give good ballistics in the shortest length while being suppressed. Subs (220gr) are good out to about 200yds then fall off quickly. I don't shoot supers so I don't know about their ballistics.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Typically the further you get away from 5.56, the more difficulty you have in building and getting it to run. Grendel needs a bolt, barrel, and specialty mags, 300BO just needs a barrel. I've had an EASIER time getting 300 to run, especially suppressed than 5.56 builds. 300 can hit pretty hard, and usually beats 5.56 in energy, lots of decent bullets to use for hunting too.
    Uppers are about as easy to build as lowers, but they do need a couple special tools, and have a few steps that MUST be done correctly, like clocking/torquing a barrel nut. Pretty slim pickings around now, but for the money Aero precision is good, and usually easy to find. You can pick an upper and lower in many configurations to transfer in as a "firearm" and can slap together a pistol or rifle the way you want it without really building anything.
    Great info. Thanks. Right now I don’t trust myself enough to build the upper. I like the .300 because I can use a suppressor down the road if I decide to go that route. I guess that would cycle okay in a 16” barrel with subsonic? Any thoughts on that? I was going to get a pistol length gas block. I really don’t want a pistol AR. Not right now anyway. Who knows how far I’ll take this newfound hobby of mine. I’m very familiar with guns and shooting, just not AR’s. One problem I see near term is ammo, both cost and availability. But I have a feeling that will come around.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    300 BO was designed for closer distances and to be suppressed. Mine is a pistol with a 10.5" bbl. The 10.5" bbl was what they found to give good ballistics in the shortest length while being suppressed. Subs (220gr) are good out to about 200yds then fall off quickly. I don't shoot supers so I don't know about their ballistics.

What 220 subs are you shooting that give you 200yrd without significant drop?

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I understand that most folks like the .300 BO for the pistol suppressed stuff but I’ve heard the 16” with supers is an excellent deer gun out to maybe 250-300 yards? Defense at home is also a concern, but to be honest, someone breaks into my house my first line of D is either a 40 cal or 12 ga. Someone here might change my mind though.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I know this has probably been covered in a more recent post but I can’t seem to locate one. I’d like to build a AR-15 .300 Blackout in 16” for deer hunting. From most accounts here it appears this is a legal AR in Maryland. PSA even lists the barrel as heavy, which I understand is one of MSP’s requirements.

Heavy barrel only applies to 5.56/.223 AR stile platform, and is state law, not an MSP requirement.

That said, PSA had a complete AR-15 .300 BO in 16” for sale recently so I ordered it. I received an email stating it was a copycat and they could not ship it to Maryland. I’m confused.

Don't be confused, PSA will not ship anything their lawyer thinks is illegal to a resident of Maryland. If you want the rifle, find an FFL that will order it from PSA and then sell it to you.

The Anderson MFG .300 BO is listed as not banned on the MSP website while the Bushmaster .300 BO is listed as banned.

MSP is exercising administrative over reach in banning ANYTHING bushmaster since they claim anything Bushmaster is banned by name in the law. They would be wrong.

They look like the same setup to me. The PSA is not listed. Is this, or is it not a copycat?

They are the same, see my comments above on PSA and MSP.

I might try simply ordering the upper and see what happens (when it’s back in stock), but I want to be sure it’s legal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Perfectly legal, it is not a copy because it is NOT 100% parts interchangeable.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Heavy barrel only applies to 5.56/.223 AR stile platform, and is state law, not an MSP requirement.

Don't be confused, PSA will not ship anything their lawyer thinks is illegal to a resident of Maryland. If you want the rifle, find an FFL that will order it from PSA and then sell it to you.

MSP is exercising administrative over reach in banning ANYTHING bushmaster since they claim anything Bushmaster is banned by name in the law. They would be wrong.

They are the same, see my comments above on PSA and MSP.

Perfectly legal, it is not a copy because it is NOT 100% parts interchangeable.
    All good stuff dblas, thanks! I never thought about asking a FFL to order the gun. I’ll make a phone call tomorrow and see if that’s a possibility.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What 220 subs are you shooting that give you 200yrd without significant drop?

American eagle 220gr. I have to use a hold over but I can consistently hit an 18" plate at 200yds. Probably about a 24" drop at 200yds but easily accounted for with the reticle. At 300yds I can't hit anything and can't tell were they are going so I stopped trying.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I understand that most folks like the .300 BO for the pistol suppressed stuff but I’ve heard the 16” with supers is an excellent deer gun out to maybe 250-300 yards? Defense at home is also a concern, but to be honest, someone breaks into my house my first line of D is either a 40 cal or 12 ga. Someone here might change my mind though.

Whatever stops the intruder is the right tool, golf clubs and baseball bats can be effective as well. Everyone has an opinion...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    American eagle 220gr. I have to use a hold over but I can consistently hit an 18" plate at 200yds. Probably about a 24" drop at 200yds but easily accounted for with the reticle. At 300yds I can't hit anything and can't tell were they are going so I stopped trying.

24" sounds about right. I prefer the 208g, but I've loaded and shot plenty of 220-225grs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom