• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If its nondetachable you're fine

Otherwise you'd need to be sure to get that magazine shipped our of state or better yet go get it yourself

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    If its nondetachable you're fine

Otherwise you'd need to be sure to get that magazine shipped our of state or better yet go get it yourself

Technically, I believe that one is detachable, vs the original magazines. See the lever on the front of the trigger guard? That I believe is the release. This was designed for use by law enforcement.
    In the 1920s, an entrepreneur founded the Peace Officer Equipment Company to sell police gear in St Joseph, Missouri. He would design a conversion to the Remington Model 8 to replace its fixed 5-round magazine with larger detachable magazines (5-, 10-, and 15-round, with 15-round being the most common by far).
    From Ian Mcclellen Forgotten Weapons
    https://www.forgottenweapons.com/remington-model-81-special-police/

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Sold!

Somebody has deep pockets, and a really cool 1942 LAPD Model 81.

Sold $7,500

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.21.33 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.21.33 AM.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 121

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a beautiful model 81 in 300 Savage I am going to be listing very soon if anyone is interested. No holes in it and great condition.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a beautiful model 81 in 300 Savage I am going to be listing very soon if anyone is interested. No holes in it and great condition.

May want to consider listing it on GunBroker. I have been closely watching Model 8/81s for months on GB. .35 Rem and 300 Savages in good condition have been going for over $1K, in great condition for over $1.5-$1.8K.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Sold!

Somebody has deep pockets, and a really cool 1942 LAPD Model 81.

Sold $7,500

That, or higher, seems to be the 'standard' price for that model.

They ain't making any more :innocent0

If they were to make new inventory they would probably be as expensive and product liability lawyers would probably have a field day. Compared to modern mechanisms the long recoil type action is not very efficient and relies on many more parts working in concert.
    I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a new rifle that works on that principle, well other than me. :rolleyes:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    May want to consider listing it on GunBroker. I have been closely watching Model 8/81s for months on GB. .35 Rem and 300 Savages in good condition have been going for over $1K, in great condition for over $1.5-$1.8K.

I’ll throw it on there if nobody bites on it here.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a new rifle that works on that principle, well other than me. :rolleyes:

*raises hand*

Seriously, I understand the economics of nobody making long-recoil actions anymore. I understand the precision and often hand-fitting necessary to make complicated actions work perfectly every time. I even understand why many modern hunters eschew these heavy and antiquated systems. That said, I'd buy a new-production 8/81, A5, Frommer Stop, etc. in a heartbeat. It's like the Royal Enfield Military 500 motorcycles. Will they have the pants beaten off of them performance-wise by just about anything else? You bet! But are they just that damn cool that you want one regardless? Ohhhh yeah.

IIRC several companies re-issued the 1895 Winchester (Marlin and Savage both did IIRC) which is a complicated action itself and sold them for $1k+ in most cases. Given the prices on OG 8/81s, you'd think it'd have been feasible for Remington to re-issue some at a premium. Maybe if they had, they'd still be around.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Me too!! Love the history and character of old guns. Especially 8/81's.

My 1922 Model 8 and 1949 Model 81. Both in .35 Rem. The '49 is in near-mint condition. They are my two favorite long guns (they are also my two oldest).

Attachments

• M8 & 81 #4.jpg
      M8 & 81 #4.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads