• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I just received back a Mini-G Conversion to .308 that I sent to Shuff last November. Haven't fired it yet but upon inspection the workmanship looks great. I disassembled bolt and checked for correct headspace (something I always worry about with M1 Garands). My only surprise was that the lower band is not pinned to the barrel (doesn't even look like there is any provision for that with their modified lower band) as with a stock rifle. The lower band just floats with the rear handguard (and is not attached to it). Looks like the gas cylinder is what retains the lower band and rear handguard in place. I just sent for a Schuster gas plug wrench as none of the wrenches I have will fit their gas plug.

I'd be interested in comments of Mini G owners with respect to the lower band/rear handguard arrangement (any problems?). Also any tips on adjusting the gas system with the Schuster adjustable gas plug.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I've had one since 2014, and never had an issue with the handguard. The pin is needed on a full-length Garand's lower band because the gas cylinder isn't in contact with it to keep it from moving fore and aft.

Last edited:

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've had one since 2014, and never had an issue with the handguard. The pin is needed on a full-length Garand's lower band because the gas cylinder isn't in contact with it to keep it from moving fore and aft.

Allen65:
    Thanks. Make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom