• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Looks like I am about to buy my first hand gun and I have some questions about ammo. Looking on cheaperthandirt.com I looks like I can get some really cheap ammo. I have always lived by the motto you get what you pay for. How cheap can you go with ammo and still shoot safely? Some of the ammo on there was like $7/ 50 9mm. I want to shoot this gun a lot and have some places I can shoot other than a range. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chris

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Looks like I am about to buy my first hand gun and I have some questions about ammo. Looking on cheaperthandirt.com I looks like I can get some really cheap ammo. I have always lived by the motto you get what you pay for. How cheap can you go with ammo and still shoot safely? Some of the ammo on there was like $7/ 50 9mm. I want to shoot this gun a lot and have some places I can shoot other than a range. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Go to Walmart and spend 10-11 bucks and stop being a skin flint.:rolleyes:

What kind of Gun are you buying?

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    I am not an expert :)

But here is my 2 cents...

I can't find any ammo cheaper than Walmart..as much as I would like to support local business or at least an online gun shop.. The price mark up kills the price..

Walmart Winchester white box costs $22 for 100.. At the Bel Air gun show they are selling the same for $30 online you have to pay shipping which kills it.

Now as for cheap ammo.. My 2 cents.. Is use what ever works and is economical for practice while not to forget to practice with your defensive loads as all ammo shoots differently.

Some guns are finicky with ammo..you will here on here some people saying my gun doesn't like brand x or y..

My experience with my new sig p226.. It took 300 rounds of Winchester before it would eat remington umc or cheaper wolf and Tula ammo.

I am now using cheap Tula ammo from Walmart for 9.97 for 50

Hope this rant helps.

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    The $7 ammo at CTD is steel cased Brown Bear. Some people say it is harder on the gun (extractor) than brass cased ammo.

Do the Walmart thing. But Walmart has been carrying TULA (sp) also steel cased.

Luigi

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2010
    Which Walmarts in MD carry ammo? I don't think mine does...but I try to avoid walmart as much as I can.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Go to WalMart and buy the Federal 115 grain for under 11 bucks...also consider the S&W M&P 9.

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    Which Walmarts in MD carry ammo? I don't think mine does...but I try to avoid walmart as much as I can.

Where are you located Luigi?

The Walmart in Cockeysville has ammo.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    It depends on how nice the gun is and how you want to care for it?

I have junk guns that I run junk ammo through because all it is for is plinking.

My nicer firearms I pay more for ammo and after my last outing I wont let anything touch them ( ammo or mags ) that aren't mine. But no more cheap ammo or mags touch them.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Don't listen to the BS about steel cased ammo, they might be harder on your extractor but the amount you will save shooting steel cased will buy you plenty of extractors.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    It depends on the gun. My glock 23 doesn't like the remington umc ammo but for marginally more, it will eat white box winchester all day, its just really dirty. Not in a jamming kind of way but it will get all over you.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    If it is BS you should not need to buy plenty of extractors.

NO what I meant is that people say it isn't cheaper because it causes extra wear. If I save $100 on ammo but have to buy a $10 extractor, I still came out on top. And by the way never had any extractor problems, just what I hear.

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    I would not buy anything other than brass.

Check out CCI Blazer Brass at Natchez:http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

CCI Blazer has a reputation of being a cleaner round than some others.

I just bought 500 rounds of CCI Blazer .45 FMJ from Natchez on the net and including shipping it was 7% cheaper than the equivalent Remington ammo from Walmart. It was on my doorstep in 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom