• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Stop being a p***y and grow your arm!

J/K lol... all the suggestions above are good. That's the beauty of the AR-15. If you don't like something there are 20 some odd other ways to go about it (if not more than that). Another advantage is if you get something and don't like it, most likely you can find someone who will trade for/buy it off of you.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Where did you find it for $65? It looks like a good solution. I keep my rifle buffer, tube and spring, gain QD mounts, and reduce the length to A1...but I'm only seeing them for $120. I'd go for it even at that price, but if they are on sale somewhere, let me know :thumbsup:

Keep an eye on the Ar-15 EE.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was using a RRA 6 position collapsible stock with a 20 HBAR upper. The adjustability was great, but the balance was not too good. I installed a Calvary Arms cheek piece on it with the battery storage tubes. I filled the tubes with lead shot to help the balance. The difference was quite noticable.

That now stock is going on a carbine build I am working up. I went to an A@ stock since that works nicely for me on the rifle length guns.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Thanks everyone, just wanted to update and quickly review.

I went with the Vltor Rifle Modstock (A1 length). The 5/8" or so reduction does help quite a bit and the rifle is much more comfortable to shoulder. It is lighter than the A2, but the balance still works nicely for me (my upper has a government profile bbl, but has the KAC M5 rail). QD swivels are a plus, and Russ is definitely right about the cheek weld. :thumbsup:

I think I made the right choice here...just can't actually try it out this weekend it looks like :(

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    For anyone reading and thinking of trying an A1 stock, Numrich has used mil surplus ones (but with no trap door) for $6.50 plus shipping:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd...0A&chrSuperSKU=564720&MC=&CatID=7270&mySort=2

I got one, and it is pretty good for the price. A lot lighter than I expected, and doesn't seem as stout as my old issued A2 stock from back in the day. I still like it. It resides on my SAMR clone (see gallery).

You would still need to get the A1 buttstock screw, but I am not sure where it is on the Numrich site since it was reorganized; I guess you would have to call them.

ETA; ok, here is a Colt A1 screw for $7.25 :eek:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=270300&CatID=7237&mySort=2

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    The Vltor kit was supposed to come with the A1 screw, but it was missing. I didn't want to pay $5 shipping for one screw, Gun Connection was fresh out, and the Bel Air Gun Show was cancelled...so I cut down the A2 screw. Works...if you're not going back to the A2 stock anytime soon :innocent0

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The Vltor kit was supposed to come with the A1 screw, but it was missing. I didn't want to pay $5 shipping for one screw, Gun Connection was fresh out, and the Bel Air Gun Show was cancelled...so I cut down the A2 screw. Works...if you're not going back to the A2 stock anytime soon :innocent0

You sure it was supposed to come with one? Cuz I didn't get one either. BTW I'm glad you feel the same way about it I do. I have no idea why more people don't run this stock. IMHO it's pretty badass.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I dunno...the manual said it was included. I e-mailed Vltor about it and they said they'd send one out right away, so it seems like they are supposed to.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Bringing this thread back since i feel there was a question that went unanswered. For a 20" is it better to use a heavier buffer? This is with an auto style carrier. To be sure to prevent any kind of bolt bounce. I ask because a friend is getting rid of his 6pos setup and i could get it semi cheap, however ny original plan was a vltor a5 setup due to hearing it functions as well if not better than a standard a2 setup.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I now run a Sully stock which came with a standard carbine buffer. It hasn't given me any problems, so I haven't changed it out. But yes, the A5 set-up is supposedly optimal.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I now run a Sully stock which came with a standard carbine buffer. It hasn't given me any problems, so I haven't changed it out. But yes, the A5 set-up is supposedly optimal.

No bolt bounce? I have a feeling Im probably making more out of worrying about bolt bounce than I need to.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I don't know...I haven't had a stoppage since I've been using it, and I don't have a high-speed camera to check visually. I don't know of any other way to tell?

From the reports I've read, you should be good with the A5 in almost any configuration. If you go with the standard buffer/spring, you may have to experiment with the weights until you find something reliable.

If the A5 system had come out a few months earlier, I may have ended up with that...though I do really prefer my fixed stock over adjustable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom