• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I was joking last night with a gal from WV about how MD might get shall-issue real fast if a bunch of feral hogs were let loose in Driud Hill park, as well as parks like Patapsco state park, and any large parkland area in Montgomery and PG counties. Feral hogs WILL charge at you as you are just walking along, how long will libtards stand for that? She had to bust my dreams by saying that the bangers would just shoot all the Druid Hill hogs lol, and that in general, night time sharpshooters would be hired in to cull them out. AND "you don't want feral hogs, trust me!". This gal was griping about feeling naked w/out her carry gun on her, and had told me about the feral hogs she and friends have gotten in WV.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Not a single pig sighting in Maryland complete BS.

Bring on the swine.

They are here in small pockets. I was dropping a deer off at M&G in westminster last season and they were butchering a feral that someone had taken in Westminster. More than likely though it was just an escaped captive pig and not one that has been wild for multiple generations.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Also use safe field dressing techniques and butchering to prevent Brucellosis, which is spread through contact. This includes wearing eye protection and gloves, washing hands and segregating clothing (to be washed later), burning or burying all hog scrap/refuse, etc.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Feral hogs WILL charge at you as you are just walking along,

15 yrs of hunting pigs, the only time I got charged was when we had the pig cornered against an overturned palm.... a good swift kick to the head made it change its mind about coming closer to me.

I have stalked into a sounder that was feeding and rooting, and after I shot a decent sized sow all the others scattered into the four winds and almost got run over.. but no charging.

Re cooking.... just like normal pork, cook it to those temps, we never had an issue.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    When I hunted hogs, the guide had pits. His catch dog had a chest protector on that looked like it had been worth every nickel. .

Catch dogs are typically pits, some use dogos or Rhodesian ridgebacks....

We had Catahoula curs and blackmouth curs, more cattle/herd dogs to bay and then we would either shoot or stab.

There used to be a guy around Daytona that had jack russells for his hog dogs.. ran into him on a hunt along the Kissimmee River.

Water Management Districts and Fed are taking away access for air boats, going to be less hog hunts in the backcountry and swamps now.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    15 yrs of hunting pigs, the only time I got charged was when we had the pig cornered against an overturned palm.... a good swift kick to the head made it change its mind about coming closer to me.

I have stalked into a sounder that was feeding and rooting, and after I shot a decent sized sow all the others scattered into the four winds and almost got run over.. but no charging.

Re cooking.... just like normal pork, cook it to those temps, we never had an issue.

Shhh, don't tell the libtards that. The WV lady was telling me how when they are out hunting them they get charged at by some. Could be sows protecting a litter. Always good to be armed when walking around in pig country.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Not knowing but Id guess that would be on the light side. (slow 110 gr bullet?) You could have your cake and eat it too with a SKS or AK, the 7.62X39 nearly parallels a 30/30.
    My son shot a hog with an AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39. His rifle was the weakest in our group, so we did some ballistics analysis and suggested that he keep his shots within 150 yards. His shot was within 50 yards.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    My son shot a hog with an AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39. His rifle was the weakest in our group, so we did some ballistics analysis and suggested that he keep his shots within 150 yards. His shot was within 50 yards.

Way back when I scoffed at the 7.62X39 because of it's diminutive size. After buying and shooting I'm a believer. No recoil to speak of but plenty of punch for small to mid sized deer out to 150 or less yards. Blows a M1 Carbine away which isn't much more than a respectable pistol cartridge. Sadly a large percentage of those killed in VN fell to the same cartridge I suggested for pigs.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

How many did your group shoot beyond 150 yards? In 10 years of hog and deer hunting 95% of the animals killed were well within 150 yards. The longest was just shy of 200 yards.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I might have to look into one of the local ones down here. Even if I have to pay a few bucks I'll be alright with it. My brother in law is interested too.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    How many did your group shoot beyond 150 yards? In 10 years of hog and deer hunting 95% of the animals killed were well within 150 yards. The longest was just shy of 200 yards.
    Excellent point! The vast majority of them were within 50 yards. One person took a shot at about 100 yards with 300 win mag (too much gun in my opinion). There were about 8 or 10 of us.

Todd Huey

Industry Partner
    Apr 8, 2016
    Totally agree. Feral hogs are not something to mess with unless you've got some firepower.

I'm planning at some point this year to visit some friends in TX to do some hog hunting. I was supposed to go to Wichita Falls, TX last year but the friend I was going with passed-away suddenly/unexpectedly. He told me that I didn't even need a hunting license in TX to shoot feral hogs.

You do not need a license if you are a agent of the landowner doing population control. But if you are hunting for sport, meat, or on a paid hunt then you do. Plus the game warden is always right and their views do not always line up with yours. $48 license is cheap insurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom