• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have to question the map:

One county out of the whole state has no population??? MS, SC, FL;

Alabama has two fairly separated Counties without?

Of course the opposite end of the spectrum.......only one county in North Dakota WITH a population.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I have to question the map:

One county out of the whole state has no population??? MS, SC, FL;

Alabama has two fairly separated Counties without?

Of course the opposite end of the spectrum.......only one county in North Dakota WITH a population.

and I would have thought that there were a whole lot in Cook County Illinois too..........:innocent0

Okletsfish

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2015
    This is why we need AR-15s .... Seriously (No Joking). It's the only sporting rifle that I know of that can be outfitted for hog hunting.

I was talking to a guy a month ago that hunts them.He told me I could join him the next time he goes but leave the AR 15 home and bring a 308.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I can only speak of my own experience seeing pigs hunted on sight in rural Southeast Texas. Which was hog runs across road and several pickup trucks slamming on their brakes while motorists jump out with rifles (and in one case a crossbow) to go after it, and one guy tries to run it down. It honestly made me think of the fin prank scene in Jaws (lacking the Mass waterman accent of course :) ). They hate those things down there. Pigs tear up the precious grazing land they need for cattle, and you don't mess with cattle in SE Texas.

On the other hand, they are smart animals and can make excellent, clean pets if raised right and neutered (very important to keep them docile). My daughter has one she has raised from a baby on her farm in Florida who thinks he's a dog. Housebroken and all. I call him the luckiest little pig in the world (though he's not so little any more!).

Attachments

• hkpg.jpg
      hkpg.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 389
    • hkp.jpg
      hkp.jpg
      54.5 KB · Views: 379

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD
    They're a huge problem, especially in Texas. We have a guy on our prostaff named Todd Huey (Lone Star Boars) and he shoots a TON of hogs down there. Enough where he can pretty much make a new hunting video with multiple kills every week. We provide him with a few of our Six8 (6.8 SPCII) models as it's perfect for hog hunting and killing multiple hogs.

21cf7z4.jpg

25ggpjb.jpg

mhf606.jpg

i1jtds.jpg

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=191972

This is a good read that will really put the hog problem into perspective: http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf They can pretty much live in most conditions, eat anything, and reproduce FAST. They're very adaptable. It's only a matter of time before we see them reach the north. I'm sure its great hunting...probably not worth the trade-off.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    They're a huge problem, especially in Texas. We have a guy on our prostaff named Todd Huey (Lone Star Boars) and he shoots a TON of hogs down there. Enough where he can pretty much make a new hunting video with multiple kills every week. We provide him with a few of our Six8 (6.8 SPCII) models as it's perfect for hog hunting and killing multiple hogs.

This is a good read that will really put the hog problem into perspective: http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf They can pretty much live in most conditions, eat anything, and reproduce FAST. They're very adaptable. It's only a matter of time before we see them reach the north. I'm sure its great hunting...probably not worth the trade-off.

Wow, what became of the ton of meat he has there???

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD

Hmmmm....Good question. :shrug:

Maybe I can get him to chime in here if there is interest on the topic lol. He can pretty much tell everything we'd want to know about hogs/ hog hunting. He's well over a few thousand hog kills and that was over a year ago. I might venture to say that he's killed more hogs than anyone. I doubt he's keeping count at this point though.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

I don't know about this exact instance, but sometimes the meat is left for the clean-up crew (i.e. natural scavengers). The meat is not the primary concern.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    A lot of misconceptions about feral pigs...

NH aint the only NE state with pigs, NY, VT, and PA have sounders running around, mostly from the game farms; escapees.

You do not need massive firepower to kill a pig, its all dependent on shot placement; any deer gun will take out a pig.

Pigs are EXTREMELY destructive, used to be able to hunt them for free on farms/ranches in Central Florida; then someone had the bright idea of charging Yankees, neighbor and I did LOL. We almost lost a lease in NFL because we weren't killing enough pigs.

Yes, FL does not require a license to hunt pigs... on private property. On public land, you need a hunting license; most southron states are like that.

The meat is excellent, even rank boars; just need to know how to prepare them.. got so wife preferred feral pig to deer or even steak.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I was talking to a guy a month ago that hunts them.He told me I could join him the next time he goes but leave the AR 15 home and bring a 308.
    I absolutely blew a full quarter away on the small hog I shot with a 308 (Swiss K31 7.5 x 55, I always wanted to hunt with it), so I have to ask at what distances are you shooting this hogs?

If it is long off, I absolutely agree with your friend. If you're going to get up close and personal with the hogs by hunting from a tree stand and shooting them from under 50 yards (around 35) like I did, I'd venture to say that a 22lr to the head will work just fine (there are plenty of youtube videos illustrating this using feeders). Some advocate neck shots as being more reliable than a 'center of mass' shot.

The AR-15 I have set up for hog hunting is also set up for deer. To meet VA hunting regulations, I have it chambered in 6.8 SPC II, but I understand that people use 5.56/223 on hogs (center mass) all of the time with proper hunting ammunition and barrel lengths (again depending on the expected hunting distance).

I'm looking forward to the continued discussion about how to get rid of these delicious pests (and putting them in my freezer).

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I think that's true in all states for any invasive species: crows, rats, coyotes, nutria, etc. Some states even pay a bounty for coyotes ($50 in VA) and other animals. A group of us were still required to get NC hunting licenses on a guided hunt for hogs, even though I don't think the law required it.

I have an AR-15 set up for coyotes and Hogs with a poor man's equivalent of 'night vision' using a green LED Streamlight (they tend not to be bothered by the green LED vs. white or red).

What ammo for the hogs?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I absolutely blew a full quarter away on the small hog I shot with a 308 (Swiss K31 7.5 x 55, I always wanted to hunt with it), so I have to ask at what distances are you shooting this hogs?

The AR-15 I have set up for hog hunting is also set up for deer. To meet VA hunting regulations, I have it chambered in 6.8 SPC II, but I understand that people use 5.56/223 on hogs (center mass) all of the time with proper hunting ammunition and barrel lengths (again depending on the expected hunting distance).

I'm looking forward to the continued discussion about how to get rid of these delicious pests (and putting them in my freezer).

What ammo for the hogs?

I have used 12 guage, .308, 7mag, .458 socom and .300blk. Everything I have shot has died and not run further than a 100 yards. The 12 guage kicks to much but did a nice job (Benneli SBEII). .308 is very effective but a bitch to hump around at 11lbs+, .458 socom works well but follow up shots are difficult. I settled on the .300blk SBR for its light weight, compactness even with a suppressor and knock down power out to 200 yards. Paired with the Lehigh Defense 110gr Controlled Chaos, the .300blk is a wining combination on hogs.

As for shot placement this is a good explanation of why a neck shot is best on hogs. I would much rather shoot them in the neck and drop them, rather than chase them through the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom