• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    It's time to hunt wabbits. Anyone heading back out in the woods tomorrow for a different game with a white (cotton) tail now that deer are out?
    I'll be in my tripod tomorrow. How about you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Was pretty tempted to take one out last night. Was behind the house taking the garbage out when I saw one down by the garden. Mind you, this was after shooting hours and out of season.....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With all of the foxes we have in my area, I don't think I've seen a rabbit in almost 2 years. I guess between the foxes, the red tailed hawks and bald eagles, there won't be too many small game animals around. I very rarely see any squirrels.

Good luck to those who are Fudding around in the woods.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm not a hunter, got no idea what's legal... but the bunnies decimated my garden last 1-2 years. We used to have a fox or two around, but haven't seen it one a while. Have a huge excess of rabbit now. SOMEONE needs to play predator.

Is trapping legal all year? What about taking the lil fluffballs out with a pellet gun? I could probably bag three in just one warm evening.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I'm not a hunter, got no idea what's legal... but the bunnies decimated my garden last 1-2 years. We used to have a fox or two around, but haven't seen it one a while. Have a huge excess of rabbit now. SOMEONE needs to play predator.

Is trapping legal all year? What about taking the lil fluffballs out with a pellet gun? I could probably bag three in just one warm evening.

Trapping not sure about. But right now until February 28 you can bag four a day. Now as its on your property, I don't think anyone will bat an eye at you popping one or two with a pellet gun any day of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Nuisance animals may be trapped and killed year round according to the DNR.

Pretty sure this doesn't extend to deer unless it's a crop damage permit, but they're fine with me trapping squirrels that attempt to enter my buddy's soffits and shooting rabbits and groundhogs that invade my garden.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nuisance animals may be trapped and killed year round according to the DNR.

Pretty sure this doesn't extend to deer unless it's a crop damage permit, but they're fine with me trapping squirrels that attempt to enter my buddy's soffits and shooting rabbits and groundhogs that invade my garden.

This. Also a 22 and some CCI quiets and you won't even disturb your neighbors.

Though you need 150 yards to the nearest occupied building on your neighbor's property (technically including with a pellet gun)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This. Also a 22 and some CCI quiets and you won't even disturb your neighbors.

Though you need 150 yards to the nearest occupied building on your neighbor's property (technically including with a pellet gun)

Shoot, all you need is your neighbor's permission! Mine have all given me a blanket "If it moves and is a nuisance, kill it" written permission slip. The number of groundhogs and summer bunnies that have gone to the foxes and coyotes in the woods behind us is pretty sizeable for my little 3/4 of an acre.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like I don't see nearly the number of rabbits I used to see years ago.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Shoot, all you need is your neighbor's permission! Mine have all given me a blanket "If it moves and is a nuisance, kill it" written permission slip. The number of groundhogs and summer bunnies that have gone to the foxes and coyotes in the woods behind us is pretty sizeable for my little 3/4 of an acre.

I'd consider asking, but one of my neighbors is a little kookie and I think my across street neighbor would say no. She's a big horse person and has chickens. She was asking what to do about a hawk that took one of her chickens, I jokingly suggested a 12 gauge and the look of horror on her face was both priceless and sad (especially because I was joking. Now if it was a fox...). Besides, according to Howard county, you can't shoot crap unless you are on a 10 acre lot of bigger. I guess I could get a bow to get around that since I am only on an acre (few neighbors around me are an 1.01-1.3ac and my across the street neighbor is on 5)

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'd consider asking, but one of my neighbors is a little kookie and I think my across street neighbor would say no. She's a big horse person and has chickens. She was asking what to do about a hawk that took one of her chickens, I jokingly suggested a 12 gauge and the look of horror on her face was both priceless and sad (especially because I was joking. Now if it was a fox...). Besides, according to Howard county, you can't shoot crap unless you are on a 10 acre lot of bigger. I guess I could get a bow to get around that since I am only on an acre (few neighbors around me are an 1.01-1.3ac and my across the street neighbor is on 5)

Ahh, gotcha. Not in HoCo here.

The previous owner of my house used to blast groundhogs from his dining room window with a 12ga.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ahh, gotcha. Not in HoCo here.

The previous owner of my house used to blast groundhogs from his dining room window with a 12ga.

I keep having a ground hog snooping around my garden. It hasn't torn it up yet, but one of these days if I see it in the open, it might just meet a tragic end. Who can tell if it was a pellet gun or a CCI quiet.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I keep having a ground hog snooping around my garden. It hasn't torn it up yet, but one of these days if I see it in the open, it might just meet a tragic end. Who can tell if it was a pellet gun or a CCI quiet.

I shoot groundhogs in my yard all summer long with .22 shorts. Neighbors don't even hear it. I prefer the shorts because .22lr over-penetrates at the ranges I'm hitting them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I shoot groundhogs in my yard all summer long with .22 shorts. Neighbors don't even hear it. I prefer the shorts because .22lr over-penetrates at the ranges I'm hitting them.

I figure quiets would work well and shouldn't over penetrate a ground hog. Besides unless I aim high, my property slopes up hill so he'd have ground behind him. So long as he doesn't climb a tree I have a safe "backstop", plus out a window makes it that much more of a downward angle.

Honestly not sure I would. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom