• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    anyone who knows a thing or two about hunting knows you hunt with the wind blowing into your face, ive killed deer with hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel stained jeans while spitting redman chewing tobacco ...and of course my brown leather bomber jacket

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    anyone who knows a thing or two about hunting knows you hunt with the wind blowing into your face, ive killed deer with hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel stained jeans while spitting redman chewing tobacco ...and of course my brown leather bomber jacket

I kill them directly down wind of me all the time...I must be doing it all wrong.:rolleyes:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just don't wear your antler hat at the same time

:lol2:

Seriously, OP:

I do not always kill deer, but when I do it's messy.

I would not listen to people about the scent, in MD deer are so used to humans you might have better luck in shorts or jeans than camo.

I would be more concerned about how to get blood out of that nice $200 leather than anything else. It gets everywhere, no matter how hard you try to stop it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ask dirty harry what he would wear... by the time they smell me theyre already dead.

I feel the same way when gun hunting, but I bow hunt too. I killed two mature(6 1/2 and 4 1/2 YO) with a bow this season. Both were down wind. The second one was down wind of me twice. I'm not arguing with you. I killed tons of deer with a Marlboro dangling from my lips back in my smoking days, but I never started killing big ones until I quit smoking. My whole outlook on deer hunting is to be "invisible" to deer, scent wise.

DeathBeforeDishonor

Wildlife Consultant
    Jan 14, 2017
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I feel the same way when gun hunting, but I bow hunt too. I killed two mature(6 1/2 and 4 1/2 YO) with a bow this season. Both were down wind. The second one was down wind of me twice. I'm not arguing with you. I killed tons of deer with a Marlboro dangling from my lips back in my smoking days, but I never started killing big ones until I quit smoking. My whole outlook on deer hunting is to be "invisible" to deer, scent wise.

congratulations on the kills, sounds like you have been successful hunting and with that being said you should agree no matter what scent lock /blocker suit you have on , if the animal is down wind of you chances are much greater of getting busted. theres that lucky case where you might get a rutted up buck not caring about human scent in mid November but overall a deer relys on sense of smell to stay alive. I hope ive influenced you to wear a leather jacket on your next sit

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    congratulations on the kills, sounds like you have been successful hunting and with that being said you should agree no matter what scent lock /blocker suit you have on , if the animal is down wind of you chances are much greater of getting busted. theres that lucky case where you might get a rutted up buck not caring about human scent in mid November but overall a deer relys on sense of smell to stay alive. I hope ive influenced you to wear a leather jacket on your next sit

Hahahaha! You have not. Nice try though. :)

Suburban deer don't GAS about scent,they see the same cars,smell the same smells,see the same kids playing,the same people cutting grass,etc.,everyday of the year.Yeah hormones change things up in the fall but a big nocturnal buck is usually like that all year until his nose gets him shot,which is the same nose that smells everything else year round.

Rural deer in the big woods are a different beast but look how many world records were shot by guys wearing horse blankets,work boots and red ear flap hats.:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Suburban deer don't GAS about scent,they see the same cars,smell the same smells,see the same kids playing,the same people cutting grass,etc.,everyday of the year.Yeah hormones change things up in the fall but a big nocturnal buck is usually like that all year until his nose gets him shot,which is the same nose that smells everything else year round.

Rural deer in the big woods are a different beast but look how many world records were shot by guys wearing horse blankets,work boots and red ear flap hats.:D

Believe it or not, I think it is the opposite. Unpressured deer are less likely to react to human scent, one way or the other. Pressured deer will always react to human scent/interaction, no matter where they are. Deer are the same everywhere. They have the same instincts, the same survival skills. My opinion. I've hunted them in the hills of western Md. and I've hunted them in my dad's back yard in Olney MD, and all parts in between.

Believe it or not, I think it is the opposite. Unpressured deer are less likely to react to human scent, one way or the other. Pressured deer will always react to human scent/interaction, no matter where they are. Deer are the same everywhere. They have the same instincts, the same survival skills. My opinion. I've hunted them in the hills of western Md. and I've hunted them in my dad's back yard in Olney MD, and all parts in between.

You just brought up a point/difference which is true,urban-suburban isn't always the same as pressured-non-pressured in the same habitat.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pressured and being accustomed to routine human presence are two different, independent variables.

And in still different topic - With old school woodsmanship, keeping wind currents always in favorable alignment, plenty of deer were kill with a kerosene lantern undeneath that horse blanket, while smoking a Lucky. New Wave tech with scents, and scent blocking gives insurance against sudden wind changes, and in best case allows movement in vectors that would otherwise not be viable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's I am in my lucky hunting jacket...it's Gortex! :lol2:

Attachments

• seinfeld_puffy_coat.jpg
      seinfeld_puffy_coat.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 70

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you want to go with a natural material, go with wool. It's warm, water resistant, quiet and doesn't hold smell very well. I killed my first deer from 15 yards wearing an surplus type wool jacket from Sportsmans Guide. Leather is way too smelly and noisy. But it is also important to look cool while hunting, so it's a balancing act. Wool can help you out here, too. Nothing beats a badass capote coat!

9144298a21929ce29685567b0e488b80.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom