• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    I know this sounds a little crazy (At least to me it does), but I tried on a friends leather bomber jacket recently and was impressed by how warm it was. It made me wonder if anyone hunts in leather? Especially if you are stationary for a while (Stand, etc.).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can do much better with today's hunting garments, scent-wise, mobility-wise, wind blocking-wise, IMO.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ha Ha, my boy wears a leather flight type jacket when he hunts with a rifle. I laughed at him and he said briars thorns and branches mud and dirt slide right off it except for when they get hung up on the EGA that's pinned to it. Looks pretty heavy to me when it's wet though. Says its good for duck and goose hunting too.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Yeah makes sense to me that its no good, prehistoric man had a couple million year wait until Bass Pro came along. Then we got really good at hunting and wearing chain drive wallets to the mall. Ha ha.

They used hides that were fresh, dried (rawhide) or primitively tanned. Big difference between that and how modern garment leather is produced.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Leather has no warmth its all in the liner. It IS a rain and wind barrier. I wear an oilskin duster over a sweatshirt when I hunt the mountains in winter. It is GREAT

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Primitive tanning processes may have included brain or bark tanned and then smoked maybe. It would be a miracle if any substantial amount leather exists from the prehistoric era to know for sure.

I dunno... might check in with Nancy Pelosi or Babs Mikulski. :innocent0

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I used to wear a lined leather jacket when a motorcycle was all I could afford to get around on. It was a whole lot easier to stay warm when I was younger. It would be pretty sporting to be wearing a fresh killed hide when trying to make some meat with a bunch of predators around, talk about not having the right threads. I know some flint lock hunters that wear alot of home made duds from leather with pretty good success but they mostly drive so it doesn't make a difference. A little stink can save you a whole bunch of steps when its steep out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day sheep skin and buffalo coats were plenty warm and weather resistant.

But by modern standards are way heavy and expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom