Good bullet to load for hot .357 out of a 20" rifle barrel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The Sierra, Rifle And Handgun Data, shows the most accurate load that is found over the range of loads. It shows the ft/s and ft-lb as you move across the columns. How they got to that most accurate load was to work-up to that and note change for each of those loads. I'm calling you out on not working up loads while keeping all other variables the same, then picking the most accurate for your rifle. It may be crimping that's the problem, but you won't know unless you work-up loads and find the one among them that works best for your rifle.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also since you mentioned needing the trigger improved, I recently dropped in a Volquartsen sear kit in mine and it is fabulous! Best $40 spent and easy peasy installation.
    Now I'm tempted. I read it wasn't straightforward for the 77/357 because it was designed for possibly the 77/22. I think I've seen Midway with the kits before so will take a look.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Now I'm tempted. I read it wasn't straightforward for the 77/357 because it was designed for possibly the 77/22. I think I've seen Midway with the kits before so will take a look.

Just be prepared for a VERY light pull. I haven't gauged it, but I'm guessing mine breaks around 1.5 pounds. I happen to like my rifle triggers this light.

I believe the sear kits are for all 77/xx. I bought mine from Midway and installation was a piece of cake. There are YouTube tutorials also.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. Will buy the kit. Recently bought more mags for the 77/357 after they announced they were discontinuing it. I can understand why it's not a price competitive platform, but I'd sell a couple of my lever action rifles in 357 before parting with my 77/357.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Here you go - these are some of the last of my Dad's reloads, and they pack a pretty good punch. I was 9 when he was cranking the handle to make these.

According to the side of the box which is marked with a grease pencil, they are Speer 140 gr JHP. I have 20 of them left, and those are the last of my dad's handgun reloads.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
      IMG_0808.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 80
    • IMG_0809.jpg
      IMG_0809.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 74

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    The Sierra, Rifle And Handgun Data, shows the most accurate load that is found over the range of loads. It shows the ft/s and ft-lb as you move across the columns. How they got to that most accurate load was to work-up to that and note change for each of those loads. I'm calling you out on not working up loads while keeping all other variables the same, then picking the most accurate for your rifle. It may be crimping that's the problem, but you won't know unless you work-up loads and find the one among them that works best for your rifle.

Bikebreath nailed it.
    Like I said before, H110 does require a heavy crimp for best performance, but load development will reveal where accuracy can be found. Also H110 tends to do best at the higher end of loads; near or at max, with mag primers. However, pick your bullet, primer, seating depth, and degree of crimp. Then load the H110 at the listed starting charge and work up a bit at a time until you find your accuracy.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I think the gun shoots 180s fine. The Buffalo Bore 180 hard cast ammo I shot out of it a few weeks ago grouped 2" or better.

Like I said above I'm pretty sure it's my loading technique that is screwing up the accuracy. I will work up some more 180s with a heavier crimp and see what happens.

In what order did you shoot the loads?
    I ask because I was taught that you should always shoot jacketed bullets before shooting lead bullets because the fouling left behind from lead bullets will really mess up the accuracy of the jacketed bullets. Doesn't mean it's true, but it's what I've always "known".

I agree, those green epoxy bullets do look pretty sweet. I bought some purple ones last year to make dummy rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom