• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    My oldest daughter and her boyfriend will join us, making my count to 5.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Okay MDS'ers...WE ARE ON!!

I just spoke to Dave at CCGC and made arrangements. They are the same as the past 2 years. We will have 2 ranges available to us, one of which we need to have accessible for any of their club members to jump in and run a practice round if they need to, but one is all ours.

I will be there about 10:00-10:30 or so, so we can make the official start time 10:30-11:00 until ??.

I would like to post up Lou45's infomercial from last year as everything except the time pretty much applies still. (I have changed the time and year in Lou's quote)

Quote:

" This is open to all shooters of all ages however minors MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY PARENT/RESPONSIBLE ADULT that's responsible for that minor during their presence at the club. All skill levels are included with this invite from 1st timers to advanced shotgunners just as it was last year. Noobs, yoots, and 1st timers that need direct coaching on the line can receive that from a parent/guardian or a person of choice that knows how to coach and teach the noob, especially a yoot, how to shoot trap with firearms safety at the forefront; remember, firearms safety is paramount!!!. We hadda'lotta' noobs out on the line last time and all enjoyed themselves.

This will occur at the Carroll County Gun Club January 1st, 2017 starting at 10:30 AM on the two lower far edge traps located beyond the club house/parking lot just like last time. The location is on RT 26 just east of RT 97 near Eldersburg at 129 W. Liberty Rd, Eldersburg, MD 21784 (I'll post up a link in this post for Carroll County Gun Club later and here it is--- www.carrollgun.com). One round of trap (25 birds) will cost $4.00, so if you intend to shoot 4 rounds of trap it will cost you $16.00 cash. This shoot is a cash only shoot. Ammo to be used will be no larger than 12 gauge 2 3/4" 3 drams equivalence with 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. Smaller gauge shotties are permitted such as 16, 20, 28, and .410. It is recommended that you bring your own ammo though there will be 12 gauge and IIRC, 20 gauge but don't mark my word on the 20 gauge, available at the club at $7.00 per box of 25 rounds. Minimum barrel length is 24" and a modified choke is recommended on larger gauge guns such as 12 gauge and full choke on smaller gauge guns such as .410. There will be some shotties available for use by MDS members if you don't have a shottie that fits the bill just like last year. There will also be a short safety briefing/range orientation as close to 10:30 AM as possible prior to shooting so it would be a good idea to be there at that time especially if you are not familiar with this sport or have noobs, 1st timers, or youn'uns (yoots) with you.

Bear in mind that this is a *** "Weather Permitting" *** shoot only and is subject to cancellation due to less than decent weather. Last New Year's Day was sunny with highs in the low 40's and was a pleasant day for a shoot. Let's hope the weather will hold out for us again this year and give us a nice day to break in the New Year."

Unquote.

It looks like we'll have decent weather, so lets have a safe and enjoyable day busting some clays.

If you are coming and have a spare shotty someone can use, please bring it.

As mentioned, it is CASH ONLY. Please make it easy if you can and bring singles (you know...like a strip club...or so I hear).

I would also respectfully ask that if you are an experienced Trap shooter, please keep in mind that almost every round will have BRAND NEW shooters and likely a helper with them at the line. We will try and keep a rhythm/pace but is a lot of times not easy to do, so PLEASE be patient. We usually do get a round or two in for all the "pros" so you can get your rhythm round(s) in. Please lend your experience to the new shooters.

This is a fun shoot, not a competition (although I'm sure Fabs will compete against himself, and if Teratos shows up, he can have an "awesome hair" contest with my daughter)

See you all Sunday to start 2017 off with a bang.

Last edited:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    How late do you think this will go?

Going by the info on their website, I believe they shut down at 3PM.

I think in the years past, we have not gone past 2pm. Once everyone gets to shooting, it moves pretty quick.

(Forgive me for not including this in my questions I asked them, we have always been done before they needed to kick us out)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I am planning on attending and I'll bring a spare gun or two. If anybody needs a 20 gauge, let me know. Otherwise, I will be leaving the 20 gauge at home.

No idea how long I will be able to shoot on this ankle of mine, but I am going to give it a shot.

Amarok

Jan 1, 2016
    My Wife and I will be there again, trying to get a couple other newbies to join this time.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Super late notice but does anyone have any wheel bearing grease? And can throw some in a ziplock baggie? My Beretta is sticky and all I have is oil. Which helps but I'll have to reapply it all day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Super late notice but does anyone have any wheel bearing grease? And can throw some in a ziplock baggie? My Beretta is sticky and all I have is oil. Which helps but I'll have to reapply it all day.

I always bring white lithium grease, Hoppes oil, and Hoppes #9 with me when I shoot clays. You will be alright once I get there. What time are you planning on getting there? I was thinking about 11:00 because my son wants to come too and that adds 30 minutes to an hour to everything. Two hours if the 2 girls want to come too.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I always bring white lithium grease, Hoppes oil, and Hoppes #9 with me when I shoot clays. You will be alright once I get there. What time are you planning on getting there? I was thinking about 11:00 because my son wants to come too and that adds 30 minutes to an hour to everything. Two hours if the 2 girls want to come too.

I'm going to shoot for being there at opening. I can manage until you get there. Thanks.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    If your kids are worried about hanging out with a bunch of adults . I will have my kids (2 girls 14 &19) and my 13yr old son and none have shot clays before.
    We plan on being there about 11am.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

What Beretta do you have? I've never heard of this problem. I've only been shooting a Beretta for 25+ years. I use STOS grease on my 682 o/u but others that have been shooting longer than me just use oil. No one and I mean no one reapplies it multiple times a day unless they're wiping it off. I have one friend that never greases or oils his o/u. It keeps on working. These guys are shooting up to 300 targets in a day too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom