• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have not tried this yet, but has anyone had a problem with using JHPs with their 9mm ARs? I know my Sub2000 didn't like them. I have a variety of SD ammunition available, but most of them are the Winchester 115gr JHPs, standard pressure.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I shoot 147gr jhp out of my carbines and pistols all the time. I think if you're talking about a colt patterned mag, may times it's the mag that causes the ftf. I did have some trouble with 115 rn out of a carbine. No reason for it, so I just shoot the 147gr. They're subsonic too.

Good Luck!

DYI01

Jan 8, 2015
    I have shot a few different loads of JHP though my Colt pattern 9mm AR without any issue. I've put 124g and 147g HST in std load and +P, and some cheap winchester 115g std load. I would not hesitate to use it in a home defense role if needed, it has run pretty much flawlessly even when the bolt catch broke, LRBHO still worked. I pretty much run it exclusively suppressed too.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I initially had a few failures to feed with hollow points on my colt pattern 9mm. I was trying to run it with a heavy buffer instead of a 9mm buffer which may have caused the issue. I haven't had any issues since I swapped he buffer. Also, if you do go the colt route, make sure the mag follower clears the feed ramp and goes all the way up. All of the ASC mags that I got needed a little filing of the follower to operated perfectly.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I tried both HPR Black Ops (now out of business) and Poly Case Inceptor ammo out of my Colt AR pattern lower and they worked fine.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    My AR 9 (colt) shoots everything I have (not saying for you to do) load 147 Xp with 4.4 grains of titegroup. The biggest issue with failure to feed seem to be when the mag is loaded to 32 , I only load the mags to 25

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a DDLES lower with Colt pattern mags. I have not had a problem with 147 gr Hydrashocks.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I initially had a few failures to feed with hollow points on my colt pattern 9mm. I was trying to run it with a heavy buffer instead of a 9mm buffer which may have caused the issue. I haven't had any issues since I swapped he buffer. Also, if you do go the colt route, make sure the mag follower clears the feed ramp and goes all the way up. All of the ASC mags that I got needed a little filing of the follower to operated perfectly.

Got any pics of the filing work? I'm having issues with my ASC mags as well

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Got any pics of the filing work? I'm having issues with my ASC mags as well

I'm out of town for business right now so I don't have pics but it's pretty obvious when you put the mag in if the follower is binding and where to sand/file. It's the front tip of the follower that needs to be slightly shortened. It's VERY simple and really can be done by anyone that has a file or sandpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom