RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - What magnification?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Vortex just announced a Viper PST Gen 2. It sounds like a beast for a very good price. I would wait for that.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Vortex just announced a Viper PST Gen 2. It sounds like a beast for a very good price. I would wait for that.
    The genII PST's look awesome but you'd probably be waiting till next summer for one.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Question for the group. Savage BA stealth in 6.5 CM. Looking for glass for Ed Shells LR class on 22APR. I've got these options in can get/can afford and on mil discount. Upper limit is ~$1500. I'm open to suggestions as well. What say the group?

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
    Nightforce SHV 4-16x56 (can't swing ATACR or NXS)
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50
    Leupold Mk4 in 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Amazon has some real cheap $500 used vortex pst ffp 6-24. Their warranties are transferable so would go used if you can.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Question for the group. Savage BA stealth in 6.5 CM. Looking for glass for Ed Shells LR class on 22APR. I've got these options in can get/can afford and on mil discount. Upper limit is ~$1500. I'm open to suggestions as well. What say the group?

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
    Nightforce SHV 4-16x56 (can't swing ATACR or NXS)
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50
    Leupold Mk4 in 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50

Note that the SHV is 4-14x not 4-16x.

Of this list? SHV, but in F1 flavor (4-14x50). The price tag is right and optically it is going to be right there with the NXS, if not better. The reticle is usable, but not as great the as the 2C reticle you can get some some Vortex scopes.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Note that the SHV is 4-14x not 4-16x.

Of this list? SHV, but in F1 flavor (4-14x50). The price tag is right and optically it is going to be right there with the NXS, if not better. The reticle is usable, but not as great the as the 2C reticle you can get some some Vortex scopes.

Thanks for the opinion and the correction. Yes, it was a typo: multitasking. It is in F1 and price is just over a grand. As I mentioned, I'm open to suggestions. What do you suggest in the $1500 range?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I don't have enough time behind anything in the $1500 to compare against SHV at $1K and there's been a lot of entry into the ~$1500 market recently. Most of my experience behind scopes is limited to under $1K and over $2K. I think you'll be happy with the SHV - it's pretty much billed as the "entry level" companion optic to the "entry level" rifle. I'd check local dealers (Peacemaker usually has a good selection if you head out there) to see if it's right for you since the eye relief on it is shorter.

The Gen I Razor is right around your max budget if you're okay with an "older" model. It just depends on what you're looking for and willing to spend. I think the SHV is high value, but as I said, I find NightForce reticles lacking overall.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Got a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Looking to get into long-range recreational shooting. I would like a variable-zoom scope...most shooting will occur at 100-200yd on my own land but looking to eventually stretch out to 1000yd should the opportunity arise. Lots of ranges out here.

Looking at these two optics:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-5-25x50mm
    Would the 5-25 be the right zoom to be looking at?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_pst_riflescopes
    Should I be in 4-16 or 6-24?

At what point does the trade-off start to occur between short-range and long-range?

I'd go for the 4-16 only because of the magnification range. Most seasoned long range competitive shooters are not using high magnification scopes for a reason. Military included. High magnification is only helpful for benchrest precision shooters, but for practical long range stuff, which is what I assume most people are looking for, lower ranges are more versatile. I'd be looking more at no more than 4x on the low end, and at least 10-16x on the high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom