• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Great work guys!

Question on the 2x4 mounting. Does the 2x4 go in so the 4" or the 2" side is facing the shooter?
    This makes a difference as my target may be facing sideways if I don't use the correct facing mounting bracket for my fixed 12x20 plate.

The narrow, 1.5" side faces the shooter. They are very sturdy and will hold any steel you want to hang.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Great work guys!

Question on the 2x4 mounting. Does the 2x4 go in so the 4" or the 2" side is facing the shooter?
    This makes a difference as my target may be facing sideways if I don't use the correct facing mounting bracket for my fixed 12x20 plate.

2 facing shooter. Less wood to hit.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Some do, I haven't seen too many of them. The biggest issue with some of them is the setup. If the self-healing target is held up by a metal bracket, you may be told to leave it in the car, depending on the thickness of the frame.

Thanks.

Another example of the ridiculousness at AGC.

The rules should be very simple, not something that requires a lot of research and debate. More than a page or two of 'rules' gets silly.

Hopefully some of the new leadership will improve things.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    Yes, people use self-healing targets. I've been using a self healing gong that I hang from a wooden target from using several strands of twine or a rope.

Do-All Outdoors - Big Gong Show 9" Self-Healing Target, Rated for .22- .50 Caliber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037NA994

It tends to get the RSO's attention before I start shooting, and they come verify it isn't steel, since I'm setting up at 25 on the Barnes range.

I cut the chinesium stand it comes attached to and just run some rope through the top.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Yes, people use self-healing targets. I've been using a self healing gong that I hang from a wooden target from using several strands of twine or a rope.

Do-All Outdoors - Big Gong Show 9" Self-Healing Target, Rated for .22- .50 Caliber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037NA994

It tends to get the RSO's attention before I start shooting, and they come verify it isn't steel, since I'm setting up at 25 on the Barnes range.

I cut the chinesium stand it comes attached to and just run some rope through the top.

I have used a spherical and cube self healers attached to a board across the top of my standard 1x2 frame. I dangle them on the equivelant of a fishing leader with swivels. I have not been stopped for shooting it at 15 yards on the pistol range. I usually check with the RO first. My steel rig always goes at the 50 yard berm.

Last edited:

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I have a these gongs: RMP Gong Swing Target Kit - 4", 6", 8" Set, Unpainted from Amazon, designed to hang from chains from the two tabs. Any suggestions how to mount them to a single vertical 2x4 (narrow side!) for use at AGC?

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Here is my setup.

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
      P1010016.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 191

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I am now thinking about making a 2x4 about 5 feet and make into a popper since they now have the new target set up to place a single 2x4 into the new stand on the 100yd range. Hopefully this weekend I can set it up.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Another reason I stopped using chains with tabs.
    The warrantee was 15 days on the AR500 3/8 steel.
    That sucked.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
      P1010017.JPG
      121.6 KB · Views: 184

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I am now thinking about making a 2x4 about 5 feet and make into a popper since they now have the new target set up to place a single 2x4 into the new stand on the 100yd range. Hopefully this weekend I can set it up.

I made mine 4 feet tall to get double duty out of a 8'.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I recently just bought and used 2 12x20 ar500 3/8 steel targets. I'll have to say I was impressed with them. I didn't hang them, there wasn't anywhere where I was shooting that would allow with a proper backstop. I just propped them on the ground. My friend and I shot 9mm and 40 from 5-15yds with no issue. We then shot .308,5.56 and .270 from around 50-75 yards no issues at all. This is good to know with hanging them, I will probably make a stand or something for them instead of hanging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom