• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As the head of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division, Jack McCauley decided what would qualify as a “good and substantial” reason to obtain a handgun permit on a case by case basis. Maryland is a “may issue” state — meaning the ultimate decision on whether to issue a concealed carry permit is left to a government official.

I'm unimpressed, as the head of the MSP he had a duty to the citizens he served to study the facts and do the right thing, he chose to play politics with the safety and well being of those he swore to protect. His 11th hour religious conversion is a little to late....Sounds like a campaign is coming.

Or he could be quite honest with us. I'll take him at face value and give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

It's not impossible to believe he was never around "gun enthusiasts" growing up, and obviously the entire structure of the MSP and state government is anti-gun, especially during his formative years as a trooper.

Regardless how he got here, he comes off as sincere, and informed on the issues.

If they put "self defense" as a good reason, there should be nothing else that needs to be said. That is the intent of the legislation.

The other "benefit" of this legislation (if it comes up for a vote) is that it will force the anti-gun legislators to vote against self-defense. That will be on record.

Thats not how I see it but hopefully im wrong.

I think we are still going to run into issues when you put down that you need a permit for self defense because you live in a high crime area etc.. The trooper could just say well, so what? everyone in your area is in a high crime area, what makes you special?

I did not see anything about getting rid of the court ruling that McCauley mentioned about applicants needing to have a danger greater then the average person.(6:00 minute mark in video)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thats not how I see it but hopefully im wrong.

I think we are still going to run into issues when you put down that you need a permit for self defense because you live in a high crime area etc.. The trooper could just say well, so what? everyone in your area is in a high crime area, what makes you special?

I did not see anything about getting rid of the court ruling that McCauley mentioned about applicants needing to have a danger greater then the average person.(6:00 minute mark in video)

The MSP has no clear definition of what G&S is, so that's what they fell back on. G&S is completely subjective. Adding self-defense to what constitutes G&S gives it a definition.

By either clarifying what G&S is, or killing it completely; the MSP can no longer subjectively decide who gets permits.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    As the head of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division, Jack McCauley decided what would qualify as a “good and substantial” reason to obtain a handgun permit on a case by case basis. Maryland is a “may issue” state — meaning the ultimate decision on whether to issue a concealed carry permit is left to a government official.

I'm unimpressed, as the head of the MSP he had a duty to the citizens he served to study the facts and do the right thing, he chose to play politics with the safety and well being of those he swore to protect. His 11th hour religious conversion is a little to late....Sounds like a campaign is coming.

May I suggest you do a little research before posting. Jack was not the head of the MSP as you seem to think, he was head of the licensing division, and as such, answered to the political marching orders of those above him. He had no power to decide what constitutes G&S. Try using facts the next time.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    That's a pretty crass summation. Watch the video and re-read what you wrote.

Exactly. As he stated in the video when asked about the issues at MSP, the decisions made were political. Buck the party line and find yourself re-assigned to an outlying post. If you didn't catch it, re-watch the video. If you are unfamiliar with the reality of not toeing party lines or company lines and being reassigned to less than desirable areas, consider yourself lucky.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Why don't you sit down with the man and ask him when his "11th hour conversion" happened? Why don't you ask him how many applications he reviewed and approved from the troopers that initially denied the applications.

I think you will find that Jack did the best that he could under the guidelines provided, and that pissed a lot of folks off in his command.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

:sad20::sad20:

So much wrong so little time.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    May I suggest you do a little research before posting. Jack was not the head of the MSP as you seem to think, he was head of the licensing division, and as such, answered to the political marching orders of those above him. He had no power to decide what constitutes G&S. Try using facts the next time.

We are talking about a hand gun license and to quote Jack McCauley:

"In 2013, I retired as the Commander of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division" that makes him the decider, your saying he did it to keep his job, and authority, I can't argue that denying applications for money and/or power makes it a more noble cause.

He made his bed.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You don't like to listen do you? He was not "The Decider" as you state. The decision as to what constitutes G&S comes from higher up, including the Governor's office.
    I suppose you have a job where you don't have to follow your bosses directions. Lucky you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

"In 2013, I retired as the Commander of the Maryland State Police Licensing Division" that makes him the decider, your saying he did it to keep his job, and authority, I can't argue that denying applications for money and/or power makes it a more noble cause.

He made his bed.

No, it doesn't make him the decider. He did not have carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wanted. He had a set of rules put in place by the legislature, supported by the governor (his boss), and enforced by the AG. He was more an an administrator.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Jack gave a fantastic address to the State Senate. I was thoroughly impressed. He would have made a great head of the MSP. He would make a great governor. The only surprise that I had watching that video is that he is much younger than I thought him to be.

Dr Dano HPR

Mar 4, 2013
    Towson
    I would find it interesting if Mr. McCauley could post a video or "lecture" of what his testimony would have been if he had been given unlimited time and leeway than the legislature will allow. Sort of an "Extended Version" without interruption. Or maybe a series of videos dealing with individual issues in shorter segments to cover them more fully. Thanks for your testimony and support of 2A issues.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County

He put his family first while he was an active trooper and subject to the whims of O'Malley. I don't blame him and I'd bet most of us would have done the same if we were in his shoes. I'm thankful he is so outspoken now that he can be with no fear of repurcussion.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

He made his bed.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

A little more to this story than what you have read so far. While he was the head of the licensing division, the law stated that Good and Substantial must be met and the authority on this was set by Case Law that there had to be an apprehended fear of danger greater than the average person. This is what he went by. He was unable to do anything about this. Placing Self Defense into the written law would do away with that case law. Another thing that you fail to understand based on what I have read is that he retired from MSP due to the politcal corruptness of his superiors when he was silenced by them during testimony before the members of the house. I understand your thoughts here, but please be sure of the facts prior to spouting off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom