• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am trying to get clarity about 80% builds since the new law kicked in.

80% AR or AK 47 lowers can be purchased. What are the rules of finishing the rifles? I see a lot of folks posting post Oct 1 that they have bought and built out 80% lowers into functioning guns.

Is that legal? Legal for AK47 and AR15?

Just trying to get a better understanding of Post Oct 1 rules.

Dave

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    SB281 banned the manufacture of those rifles. Finishing an 80% lower would also be illegal as you are "manufacturing" a rifle.

I believe there was some doubt as to whether or not an 80%er could be finished and used for a pistol build but that probably isn't a good idea. You don't want to be the test case in court...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I should add that IF the 80%er was finished prior to 10/1 then you are good to go, build your rifle. But buying one now and finishing it is illegal

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    SB281 banned the manufacture of those rifles. Finishing an 80% lower would also be illegal as you are "manufacturing" a rifle.

I believe there was some doubt as to whether or not an 80%er could be finished and used for a pistol build but that probably isn't a good idea. You don't want to be the test case in court...

Definitely not. Am not looking to be someone's test bunny in court. I am just curious since I am seeing some posts of folks building them out. Thought they were illegal to build in MD. Was just curious as I see a few folks building them and posting pics, although I did not see if they were pistol version.

Dave

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Definitely not. Am not looking to be someone's test bunny in court. I am just curious since I am seeing some posts of folks building them out. Thought they were illegal to build in MD. Was just curious as I see a few folks building them and posting pics, although I did not see if they were pistol version.

Dave

If you purchased or finished a receiver prior to 10/1 you can finish it and remain totally legal. The receiver is the "firearm" and you were in possession prior to the ban so you can do (almost) whatever you want.

I myself have a few lowers left to complete. People such as myself bought them prior to 10/1 because they had $150 for a receiver but not $900+ for a complete rifle.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    If you purchased and finished a receiver prior to 10/1 you can finish it (rest of the firearm) and remain totally legal. The receiver is the "firearm" and you were in possession prior to the ban so you can do (almost) whatever you want.

I myself have a few lowers left to complete. People such as myself bought them prior to 10/1 because they had $150 for a receiver but not $900+ for a complete rifle.

Clarified it for you. If you purchased and finished a 80% lower prior to 10/1, than you may legally add any other components to it you like.

If you bought a 80% lower, you did not buy a receiver (which were regulated), you bought a hunk of non regulated metal. The piece of metal might be able to be manufactured into a receiver, and pre 10/1 it was completely legal to do so for your personal use, without it being regulated.

Post 10/1 is is now illegal to manufacture a firearm (receiver) that is on the "banned" list or a copycat thereof, to include a 80% lower into a functional AR 15 lower receiver, no mater when the hunk of metal was purchased.

Technically, AR Pistols are not banned. Technically, you can still manufacture one yourself. However, the difference in a pistol receiver and a rifle receiver in the mind of the state is which box is checked on the 77R form, and you have not filled out any such form on the lower you manufactured, and that lower could still be used in a banned configuration, the state might try to prosecute, even if you built it to be a pistol and never put a shoulder stock on it.

Of course, the burden is still on the state to prove what you bought, and when you "manufactured it" so.... it is a gamble.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Not completely correct. If you purchased and finished a 80% lower prior to 10/1, than you may legally add any other components to it you like.

If you bought a 80% lower, you did not buy a receiver (which were regulated), you bought a hunk of non regulated metal. The piece of metal might be able to be manufactured into a receiver, and pre 10/1 it was completely legal to do so for your personal use, without it being regulated.

Post 10/1 is is now illegal to manufacture a firearm (receiver) that is on the "banned" list or a copycat thereof, to include a 80% lower, no mater when the hunk of metal was purchased.

Technically, AR Pistols are not banned. Technically, you can still manufacture one yourself. However, the difference in a pistol receiver and a rifle receiver in the mind of the state is which box is checked on the 77R form, and you have not filled out any such form on the lower you manufactured, and that lower could still be used in a banned configuration, the state might try to persecute, even if you built it to be a pistol and never put a shoulder stock on it.

Of course, the burden is still on the state to prove what you bought, and when you "manufactured it" so.... it is a gamble.
    That is how I see it also. If you bought a 80% lower at a gun show with cash a couple weeks from now, how would MSP know when you bought it and when you made it into a complete.
    BUT, as stated before, do you really want to drain your bank account in court fighting the man?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Ah, rats. I thought 80% receivers were still good to go. Oh well, there goes my dream of building one someday (as a MD resident, anyway).

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

Well as I am not really a gambler, never had any luck gambling I am not planning on building out any 80% myself. Just curious as I saw all these folks talking about buying 80% lowers and completing builds and such. Just curious really. SO much confusion around this SB281 stuff.

Thanks for clarifying. Guess those other folks building out theors got them all in line before the Oct 1 deadline.

Dave

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) No serial number required.

2) If you are worried about that, put a serial number on it.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Serial number: FUMD-SB281

:lol:

I had heard that if you built it for yourself and NOT for resale that a serial number was not required. True? False?

Anyway, I have no intentions of dealing with an 80% now unless I shelve it until I can move out of Maryland or the law changes.....Ok move out of Maryland.

Thanks for all the information.

Dave

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    :lol:

I had heard that if you built it for yourself and NOT for resale that a serial number was not required. True? False?

Anyway, I have no intentions of dealing with an 80% now unless I shelve it until I can move out of Maryland or the law changes.....Ok move out of Maryland.

Thanks for all the information.

Dave

True

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I wonder if the people misspoke. Like, they finished machining the lower before 10/1 but just now finished building it into complete rifle?

Else, they are gambling posting up pics/details of lowers completed after 10/1

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I got all my EP lowers at the end of September and finished them immediately. I now have lowers with no foreseeable finish date on them, but the ability to do so whenever I can.

I just wish Polymer 80 got done in time to have gotten some. They seem like a really good product and better than the EP ones. Still crossing fingers for a polymer 80 AR10.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    IANAL but....

What if you get pulled over by the MSP (or any LE for that matter) with a completed 80% lower AR - that is a copy of a now banned firearm, that has no record of being purchased on or before Oct 1 2013?

You are in essence manufacturing a banned weapon, with an 80% lower. Even if you had a reciept for the 80% lower before Oct 1, you cant really fully prove it, since it was never registered.

When you buy a stripped lower, or fully built non HBAR AR previously, you complete a 77R , in which the state has a record of the purchase date via the reciever serial number into a database.

The 80% lower deal sounds like a recipe for landing in hot water, should any LE check you for whatever reason. I think in a non anti 2a, real free state, the 80% lowers are non issue then.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    IANAL but....

What if you get pulled over by the MSP (or any LE for that matter) with a completed 80% lower AR - that is a copy of a now banned firearm, that has no record of being purchased on or before Oct 1 2013?

You are in essence manufacturing a banned weapon, with an 80% lower. Even if you had a reciept for the 80% lower before Oct 1, you cant really fully prove it, since it was never registered.

When you buy a stripped lower, or fully built non HBAR AR previously, you complete a 77R , in which the state has a record of the purchase date via the reciever serial number into a database.

The 80% lower deal sounds like a recipe for landing in hot water, should any LE check you for whatever reason. I think in a non anti 2a, real free state, the 80% lowers are non issue then.

You don't have to prove anything, the state does. If you have a receipt for purchase prior to 10/1, then it's practically impossible for them to prove that it wasn't completed before 10/1.
    IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom