• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, if any of you have read my Beretta A400 Xplor Action 28 gauge thread, then you pretty much know what this is about.

I found the gun and the 2nd stock that I want. Now, I need a recommendation/referral to somebody that can reduce the LOP on the stock down to 13" and fit a decent looking recoil pad to the stock.

Is this something that Jack Bart can handle? Does he still do this kind of work?

Anybody else out there in the central Maryland area? Might even be willing to ship the gun and 2nd stock out to somebody to get this done.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Looks like Briley does it. I have never had them do one, but they do good other work.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I've seen Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie recommended frequently. I had Bart's do one for me and they did a good job, though I was under the impression they just sent it out to someone else.

I got tired of dropping $150+ to get a pad and the correct LOP every time I bought a shotgun so I bought all the stuff to do it myself, including cheapo practice stocks and pads off ebay.

Practice:

DSC_0826_zps0r9k09yy.jpg

For keeps:

DSC_1127_zpsigp8wy5u.jpg

In fact I bought spare stocks for my two Beretta 20's and cut 'em down for my daughters to use.

I'd be happy to do the work for you but I don't know if you want to trust a $400 stock to a relative newb.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Bobby Bollinger (up in Harney), did that to my Remington 30.06, did a good job.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've seen Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie recommended frequently. I had Bart's do one for me and they did a good job, though I was under the impression they just sent it out to someone else.

I got tired of dropping $150+ to get a pad and the correct LOP every time I bought a shotgun so I bought all the stuff to do it myself, including cheapo practice stocks and pads off ebay.

Practice:

DSC_0826_zps0r9k09yy.jpg

For keeps:

DSC_1127_zpsigp8wy5u.jpg

In fact I bought spare stocks for my two Beretta 20's and cut 'em down for my daughters to use.

I'd be happy to do the work for you but I don't know if you want to trust a $400 stock to a relative newb.

I appreciate the offer. Think I am going to give Mega's referral a call tomorrow and see if there is something that can be added to a stock to adjust the LOP over time from 13" to 14.5". That seems like the optimal way to go from a monetary perspective and from an adjustability perspective (e.g., do not have to change the stock between 13" and 14.5", more adjustments than just 13" and 14.5").

I just went and measured all of the shotguns I use, and each and every Beretta is at LOP 14.5", with the single exception being the youth 20 ga. at 13.5". My SBE is at 14.125" and I can tell it is short when I am out dove hunting in September. It fits perfect though when I am waterfowling with my parka on. The 20 ga. youth model is just a tad bit too long for my son and it has just a tad bit too much recoil. Hence, the desire to get the A400 in 28 ga. and cut the stock down to 13" LOP. However, if I can get something on that stock that will allow me to go from 13" to 14.5", and anywhere inbetween, the gun will be perfect for quite a while and I will not have to buy a second stock. Might be able to kill two birds with one shell.

Again, thanks for the offer. Usually, I am a big do it yourselfer, but if I get this done on this shotgun, it probably will be the only time it needs to be done.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    My guess is that the most economical way to adjust LOP is to have two different recoil pads. Not even sure if Gracoil makes an adjustable unit that allows for LOP adjustments. If they do, then it is going to be really expensive.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    My guess is that the most economical way to adjust LOP is to have two different recoil pads. Not even sure if Gracoil makes an adjustable unit that allows for LOP adjustments. If they do, then it is going to be really expensive.

Gracoil does, I have one on my trap gun, its also a recoil reducer and is around 400.00 installed. They have them with to without LOP adjustment.
    As Megarms stated another way that I have done is to have 2 different thickness recoil pads.
    Had a gunsmith at the MD Sate Trap Shoot install my Gracoil, thats in June in Thurmont and he usually turns them around in a couple hours and does a great job.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Gracoil does, I have one on my trap gun, its also a recoil reducer and is around 400.00 installed. They have them with to without LOP adjustment.
    As Megarms stated another way that I have done is to have 2 different thickness recoil pads.
    Had a gunsmith at the MD Sate Trap Shoot install my Gracoil, thats in June in Thurmont and he usually turns them around in a couple hours and does a great job.

I have a Gracoil with a Kick-eez pad on all my Shotguns. Also had a Bumpbuster (like a Gracoil but more expensive) on a gun I sold. All installed by Graco. Gave the gun to the Bart's and they sent it off and handled everything. Since my LOP is 14", I had it set to that, yet because it has a 1" adjustment I can go a 1/2" either way to compensate for clothing thickness. Also amount of recoil sensation is adjustable from soft to hard (no one can reduce recoil, just spread it out over a longer period). Costs about $400 as Augie said.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have a Gracoil with a Kick-eez pad on all my Shotguns. Also had a Bumpbuster (like a Gracoil but more expensive) on a gun I sold. All installed by Graco. Gave the gun to the Bart's and they sent it off and handled everything. Since my LOP is 14", I had it set to that, yet because it has a 1" adjustment I can go a 1/2" either way to compensate for clothing thickness. Also amount of recoil sensation is adjustable from soft to hard (no one can reduce recoil, just spread it out over a longer period). Costs about $400 as Augie said.

Yep, I saw all the Graco versions last night as I was doing some more googling. My son is 7 years old, about to be 8, and he is on the smaller side for his age. Think I am going to go with a Graco recoil reducer plate for him. I need the LOP at two different lengths right now, 13" and 14.5" IF I am going to use the gun at my optimal LOP. The Graco only allows for 1 1/8" in LOP adjustments, so I could go from 13" to my Benelli SBE LOP of 14.125". I'd be able to shoot the gun, but it wouldn't be optimal without a parka on. Only way to get it to 14.5" LOP would be with a thicker recoil pad.

Mega, I hear you on the cost issue. Thing is, as my kids gets bigger, I will need to adjust the LOP on the gun. I'll need to adjust the LOP between the oldest daughter and my son if they both want to shoot. Instead of dealing with it over and over again with thicker and thicker recoil pads, I think this might be the way to go with a thin recoil pad right now for him at 13" LOP and then a thicker pad at 14.5" or whatever his final LOP ends up being. Of course, by the time his LOP is greater than 14", he will probably have graduated to my 20 gauge 391 or 12 gauge 391.

Then, I am willing to spend a little more on this project to have my kids shoot with me. When I was in Florida a year ago, I had my son try out a Beretta 687 .410 o/u. My father in-law was along for the trip to Gander Mountain and he about had a stroke when he saw $3k+ on the gun. If my son would have been able to shoulder that gun and hold it up, I would have bought it right then and there. If I can get my kids something that they will enjoy shooting, I'll spend extra.

Also going to buy a 28 gauge reloader to load up some loads on the lighter side. Just debating whether to go Mec 9000 or sell my two Mec 9000 reloaders and get a Spolar Gold.

Going to buy the gun by the end of this week and then sort the rest out. Plan on shooting once tax season is over, especially over the summer when the kids have off from school.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Before I retired from my IT job and began working P/T for Scott at Scott's Gunsmithing, I had him put a Kick Eez pad on my Guerini. It cost right around $125 (no discount since it was a couple years before I went to work there). A recent pad was added for $135....but I don't know all the specifics. Cost is based on recoil pad cost plus labor. I did not have to have my stock cut although that was given as an option (I actually got a pad that added a 1/4"). It costs me just over 1/3 of what Guerini would have charged to do the same work.

You can call the store at 410-761-9815.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Did he cut down the stock and put an adjustable LOP butt plate on it? If so, any chance you can show me a photo? I'd like to do something local if possible, but no aversion to shipping the gun either.

Yep, here ya go....
    Sorry I didn't take the cheekrest off, I was pressed for time.

Attachments

• 20170220_132327_resized.jpg
      20170220_132327_resized.jpg
      36 KB · Views: 312
    • 20170220_132347_resized.jpg
      20170220_132347_resized.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 276

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would get a second stock. Cut off the most ugly one, and keep the piece. Add it back piece by piece as he grows. Then when he gets to the proper size, put the pretty stock back on.

When my wife got her Browning 325, in less than 30 minutes we were at a local gunsmith (down in ATL) getting it cut. And it had such PRETTY wood. She just about cried. The cut off piece is still around the house.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I would get a second stock. Cut off the most ugly one, and keep the piece. Add it back piece by piece as he grows. Then when he gets to the proper size, put the pretty stock back on.

When my wife got her Browning 325, in less than 30 minutes we were at a local gunsmith (down in ATL) getting it cut. And it had such PRETTY wood. She just about cried. The cut off piece is still around the house.

Yeah, no doubt I am going to cry. Think that is also why I am going to go with the Graco and then a recoil pad a little over 1/2 an inch once everything is said and done.

Problem with gluing pieces onto the buttstock as he grows is that I have 3 kids. The oldest is going to be 10 in a couple of months, he turns 8 in a couple of months, and the youngest turns 5 in a couple of months. The younger two are the most interested in shooting, but the oldest still wants to shoot. So, this gun is going to be rotated among all 3 of them.

With the Graco on it, it will still look decent, versus a bunch of pieces put back on it. Plus, a new stock is $420. About the same price as the Graco and getting the work done, and that is before the new stock is even cut and fitted with a recoil pad.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get Steve Z to do it, that's nice work. Around my way Albrights has a gunsmith and then there's Gary at Cambridge. Gary is only open weekdays now and Since Greg died there is a younger man that apprenticed to him that does good work. They will measure you for fit as well and recommend other changes that may be needed. Its a long drive from mid state but get a crabcake sandwich while your there. Surely theres got to be somebody on the western shore that does stock fitting I would think. One of those Guerini guys tests their wares near one of my deer hunting leases and they will fill a 50 gallon drum with empties in an afternoon, freakin place looks like a WW1 battlefield.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Get Steve Z to do it, that's nice work. Around my way Albrights has a gunsmith and then there's Gary at Cambridge. Gary is only open weekdays now and Since Greg died there is a younger man that apprenticed to him that does good work. They will measure you for fit as well and recommend other changes that may be needed. Its a long drive from mid state but get a crabcake sandwich while your there. Surely theres got to be somebody on the western shore that does stock fitting I would think. One of those Guerini guys tests their wares near one of my deer hunting leases and they will fill a 50 gallon drum with empties in an afternoon, freakin place looks like a WW1 battlefield.

When you say Greg died, are you referring to Greg Wolf in Easton?

I am going to make some calls around this area and see what I can have done around here.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I had heard that Greg had passed some time ago and was surprised to hear the news, hopefully its not true. I haven't heard talk of him recently when people need gunsmithing and he would be at or near retirement age by now. I only know Greg as an acquaintance and went to him for advice or problem solving which he always gave even if it was a hard lesson. Albrights has Mike Callahan working as a gunsmith now according to my son. Dont forget to account for the width of the recoil pad when figuring in LOP, you can wind up right back where you are!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, no doubt I am going to cry. Think that is also why I am going to go with the Graco and then a recoil pad a little over 1/2 an inch once everything is said and done.

Problem with gluing pieces onto the buttstock as he grows is that I have 3 kids. The oldest is going to be 10 in a couple of months, he turns 8 in a couple of months, and the youngest turns 5 in a couple of months. The younger two are the most interested in shooting, but the oldest still wants to shoot. So, this gun is going to be rotated among all 3 of them.

With the Graco on it, it will still look decent, versus a bunch of pieces put back on it. Plus, a new stock is $420. About the same price as the Graco and getting the work done, and that is before the new stock is even cut and fitted with a recoil pad.

Easy, buy 4 shotguns. :)

One full length, and the other 3 shortened by some amount. As kids grow, they move up to the longer ones. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Easy, buy 4 shotguns. :)

One full length, and the other 3 shortened by some amount. As kids grow, they move up to the longer ones. :)

lol - you probably did not read the entire thread. I currently have a 391 Teknys 12 gauge with 14.5" LOP, a 391 Teknys 20 gauge with 14.5" LOP, a 391 youth model 20 gauge with 13.5" LOP, and I want to get this 28 gauge A400 Xplor to round out the lineup. Problem is, the 20 gauge youth model has too long of a LOP and too much recoil for my son. Heck, my two adult sisters have a tough time shooting a round of sporting clays with my "adult" 391 20 gauge. Thing is, I also want to be able to use the 28 gauge for upland hunting and doves, and I want all of my kids to be able to use it right now. I think the 20 gauge will still be too much recoil wise for my soon to be 10 year old daughter.

Much thought has gone into this, and I think a 28 gauge with an adjustable stock for LOP and drop at comb will work nicely for all the kids until they start shooting the youth 20 gauge or an adult gun and it would still allow me to use the 28 gauge too. Not only that, but I can get the Graco recoil reducer on it, so it will make it that much nicer for the kids to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom