• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Well now that the season is over I went through my log book for one of the properties I hunt. I spent 81 hours hunting (not counting travel time, and time to walk in/out). I harvested 14 does, 3 bucks, and 2 antlerless for a total of 19 deer. That ends up being about 4.26 hours of hunting per harvest which is less than my normal average of 8 or 9 hours per harvest.

I thought I had a good season (2 bucks, 4 does, 2 javelinas, 1 hog) but 19 deer is amazing! That should conservatively be well over 500 lbs of venison. No clue who all you're feeding but that should do the trick. By my math you have 500+ lbs of venison to last till September (MD season opens again ~210 days from now) which equates to 2.38 lbs/day of venison!

Sincere Congrats to all who harvested deer this season and to those who tried deer hunting for the first time this season!

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I thought I had a good season (2 bucks, 4 does, 2 javelinas, 1 hog) but 19 deer is amazing! That should conservatively be well over 500 lbs of venison. No clue who all you're feeding but that should do the trick. By my math you have 500+ lbs of venison to last till September (MD season opens again ~210 days from now) which equates to 2.38 lbs/day of venison!

Sincere Congrats to all who harvested deer this season and to those who tried deer hunting for the first time this season!

Thanks. Technically I killed 21 total but the 19 was just for the one property that I keep a log of my hunting. Typically I go through about 3 deer a year in meat, 3 deer are given away to friends, and the rest gets donated to feed the homeless.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Got some Mounts back this week. The right side looks great. I just wish the other side matched.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 169

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well. I started this thread and did not even get to record a harvest. :( oh well. Congrats again to all that got their's.

Hopefully you had a chance to get out and enjoy some time in the woods. I am already looking forward to next deer season. :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Fugly ones need to be culled anyway.. I got one this year, still finishing up the mount, but it'll be done soon.

yeah I found my first deer antler shed of the season, he either has really good potential or just a dud, looks to be a young one to me. had five points but not a lot of mass. I'll see him hopefully this year and if he improves I'll give him a pass, if he still looks scrawny he might need to be culled.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes, I did. Year#2. More learned. Over confident from last year. I saw deer and pasted on one's I should have taken. But still had a good time.

Now is the time to start preparing the next hunt.

* Upgrade equipment, if needed. This time of year everything is on sale.
    * Make your hunting site more attractive by planting a feed plot.
    * Put in a feeder to get the deer in a habit to stop by.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    ^^ good advise. I've got a good spot with a feeder. Ran it all season. Cams showed a good herd of does and the odd 2yr old buck. No big shooters. I pastEd on a 6pt, that was my best deer. It was early and I didn't want to burn my bow tag early. After that it got sour. Bad wind and just hunting. Also had another dude hunting about 100-150 yards away almost every f.ing day! That still burns me. Long story.

I'm probably gonna do the food plot.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Everyone's deer are probably in the freezer or at the butcher by now (still waiting for the call on mine) but I thought some people might still appreciate this simple little meat weight estimator. I'm looking forward to trying it out next year to see how close it gets me. There's one for calculating from live weight and field dressed weight.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/AndrewBudd/How+much+meat+on+a+deer+(live+weight)
    https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/AndrewBudd/How+much+meat+on+a+deer+(field+dressed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom